PSU too bad for EA FC24?

Lohkar

Hey guys,

I've been gaming on my rig for the past few years or so and now that the new EA FC24 is on sale I bought it and wanted to play a bit of football. Sadly my PC will always randomly turn off while playing due to what I believe to be caused by the PSU. My specs are:

• GPU: RTX 3090

• CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

• MB: ROG Strix 570-E Gaming

• PSU: Enigma 750W (From my previous build but according to pcpartpicker enough for the current setup)

I have also checked the Windows Event Viewer and it showed me Error 41 and 6008 for the random shut downs:

The picture is from the internet as my PC is in German:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/9LWroukWTWxBCFHkiE5i5H-970-80.jpg

Hoping for a quick response from you guys as to what the problem could be and if I should by a new PSU now during black friday!

7 minutes ago, Lohkar said:

Hey guys,

I've been gaming on my rig for the past few years or so and now that the new EA FC24 is on sale I bought it and wanted to play a bit of football. Sadly my PC will always randomly turn off while playing due to what I believe to be caused by the PSU. My specs are:

• GPU: RTX 3090

• CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X

• MB: ROG Strix 570-E Gaming

• PSU: Enigma 750W (From my previous build but according to pcpartpicker enough for the current setup)

I have also checked the Windows Event Viewer and it showed me Error 41 and 6008 for the random shut downs:

The picture is from the internet as my PC is in German:

https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/9LWroukWTWxBCFHkiE5i5H-970-80.jpg

Hoping for a quick response from you guys as to what the problem could be and if I should by a new PSU now during black friday!

750W is minimum for an RTX 3090, if the PSU is 4-5+ years old, its likely only able to achieve 700-725W. The GA102 die the RTX 3090 uses was known for substantial power spiking, as high as 200% TDP, so riding the minimum isn't the best idea.

What I would suggest is lowering the %TDP in something like MSI Afterburner and see if you still get those crashes. I'd start at 90% TDP and lower till like 60% by 10% increments. If its still an issue at 60%, then your PSU might be going bad.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

25 minutes ago, Agall said:

750W is minimum for an RTX 3090, if the PSU is 4-5+ years old, its likely only able to achieve 700-725W. The GA102 die the RTX 3090 uses was known for substantial power spiking, as high as 200% TDP, so riding the minimum isn't the best idea.

What I would suggest is lowering the %TDP in something like MSI Afterburner and see if you still get those crashes. I'd start at 90% TDP and lower till like 60% by 10% increments. If its still an issue at 60%, then your PSU might be going bad.

That seemed to do the trick for now. I suppose I'll invest into a new PSU then. Do you think 850W will be enough or should I future proof it and go with something in the 1000W-range?

2 minutes ago, Lohkar said:

That seemed to do the trick for now. I suppose I'll invest into a new PSU then. Do you think 850W will be enough or should I future proof it and go with something in the 1000W-range?

850W or 1000W are the sweet spots right now. Sometimes the price difference between them for non 12VHPWR versions is only a few dollars, so I'd look at 1000W by default (especially since its Black Friday right now).

Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W Full-Modular Power Supply for Gaming - Newegg.com

CORSAIR RM1000e Fully Modular Low-Noise ATX Power Supply - ATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 Compliant - 105°C-Rated Capacitors - 80 PLUS Gold Efficiency - Modern Standby Support - Newegg.com

An 850W Seasonic should be plenty, in my opinion.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

4 minutes ago, Lohkar said:

850W should already be plenty for the 3090. The 3000 series had particularly nasty transient spikes, which caused issues for lower end PSUs, as well as some more expensive PSUs, notably the Seasonic Focus and Prime series, and the EVGA GA. 

Make sure to get an actually good PSU that performs well, has decent cables, and is as quiet as you need. PSUs like the Seasonic Focus use lower end Minifit Jr. terminals and 18AWG wires, making their daisy chain connectors close to useless, and inappropriate for higher power GPUs. Others, like the Corsair RMe have a notoriously annoying loud fan, despite their claimed semi passive mode. If you want specific and meaningful recommendations, we need to know where you're buying from, as the availability and prices will vary. 

:)

1 minute ago, seon123 said:

850W should already be plenty for the 3090. The 3000 series had particularly nasty transient spikes, which caused issues for lower end PSUs, as well as some more expensive PSUs, notably the Seasonic Focus and Prime series, and the EVGA GA. 

Make sure to get an actually good PSU that performs well, has decent cables, and is as quiet as you need. PSUs like the Seasonic Focus use lower end Minifit Jr. terminals and 18AWG wires, making their daisy chain connectors close to useless, and inappropriate for higher power GPUs. Others, like the Corsair RMe have a notoriously annoying loud fan, despite their claimed semi passive mode. If you want specific and meaningful recommendations, we need to know where you're buying from, as the availability and prices will vary. 

Alright, I'll go for 850W then, even better! As I'm buying from Germany/EU and its Black Friday right now I'm mostly looking on Amazon.de as they have some great deals right now. Altough some of the PSUs on there seem a bit ... bad. E.g.:
https://www.amazon.de/MPIII850-Netzteil-Garantie-Technologie-Wirkungsgrad/dp/B0BQ3Y7WDX/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2LTCLO7NAJAO7&keywords=850w+netzteil&qid=1700850098&sprefix=850w+netztei%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-9

This on the other hand seemed quite nice and can be had for 80€ on other sites:

https://www.amazon.de/Seasonic-GC-850-Fully-Wired-Supply/dp/B093GZHVT3/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2LTCLO7NAJAO7&keywords=850w%2Bnetzteil&qid=1700850098&sprefix=850w%2Bnetztei%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-11&th=1

30 minutes ago, Lohkar said:

Alright, I'll go for 850W then, even better! As I'm buying from Germany/EU and its Black Friday right now I'm mostly looking on Amazon.de as they have some great deals right now. Altough some of the PSUs on there seem a bit ... bad. E.g.:
https://www.amazon.de/MPIII850-Netzteil-Garantie-Technologie-Wirkungsgrad/dp/B0BQ3Y7WDX/ref=sr_1_9?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2LTCLO7NAJAO7&keywords=850w+netzteil&qid=1700850098&sprefix=850w+netztei%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-9

This on the other hand seemed quite nice and can be had for 80€ on other sites:

https://www.amazon.de/Seasonic-GC-850-Fully-Wired-Supply/dp/B093GZHVT3/ref=sr_1_11?__mk_de_DE=ÅMÅŽÕÑ&crid=2LTCLO7NAJAO7&keywords=850w%2Bnetzteil&qid=1700850098&sprefix=850w%2Bnetztei%2Caps%2C98&sr=8-11&th=1

Those are rather low end PSUs. If you have functioning ears and your PC case will fit the cables, the RMx Shift is selling for a decent price.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/MgYmP6/corsair-rm850x-shift-850-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-side-interface-atx-power-supply-cp-9020252-na

:)