Need a new way to stream games to my Samsung TV

Hey all!

I play D&d with friends a lot and I use some steam software (Dungeon Alchemist) to visualize maps etc. I have been able to do this on my Samsung TV through the steam link app up until now. Unfortunately Samsung is pulling the plug on that software in 2 weeks on all of their TVs.

I can control everything by plugging the Bluetooth dongle for my wireless mouse and keyboard directly into my TV, and the steam link app recognizes them. (the TV itself does not, but as soon as I open the steam link app, they work). It wasn't perfect and it tended to bug a little bit but for my use case, it was enough. I only had to occasionally open different maps and walk through them a bit. Since the software does not support controllers, I have to use a kb and mouse combo.

I tried connecting a Chromecast I borrowed from a friend and doing the same thing, however I noticed the Chromecast will just not recognize the input from my mouse and keyboard. I looked online and I found options to buy a seperate USB hub, put it between my TV and a chromecast, and that can SOMETIMES work. However, spending +- 100 euros on a 4k chromecast + a hub as a gamble sounds a bit rough to me.

Keep in mind I don't need the chromecast for anything other than this specific use case, as my 4k samsung TV supports all other newest apps etc.

Does anybody else have other suggestions, or ideas?? I know I could also buy an Nvidia shield (4k) but they are still VERY expensive (200+ euros here) and honestly I should just be able to stream to my TV (and be able to use wireless devices) without buying tons of hardware.

Update: I also found the xiaomi Mi box S 2nd gen which should be able to do 4k streaming, however I don't know if it allows steam link and I don't know if it supports wireless kb and mouse. There is a USB port but I don't know if it supports kb and mouse I also don't know if it allows me to open my file explorer on pc to load different maps into Dungeon Alchemist. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

How far is your tv from pc?  Maybe you can simply use long hdmi cable? I have my pc connected like this and I can confirm its working mostly without problems with cheap 10meter cable.

30 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

How far is your tv from pc?  Maybe you can simply use long hdmi cable? I have my pc connected like this and I can confirm its working mostly without problems with cheap 10meter cable.

It's around 20 metres and 1 floor up.. Also the D&D session take place in the middle of the living room, which would mean I have to run a cable across the room. sounds like a hassle to do. Thanks for the suggestion though, It's not out of the question but honestly in 2023, streaming a game and using bluetooth to control it, shouldn't be hard right? 

56 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

Oh I never heard about these before, gotta look into it! Thanks

55 minutes ago, John Reactor said:

or I would just buy a steam deck 😉

I wouldn't buy it just to display some D&D maps every 2/3 weeks when I also have a 4090 rig lol

Do you have a laptop? Just connect it with a hdmi cable to the TV for when you have your D&D sessions. I figure even an old laptop will do for this.

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

On 11/21/2023 at 6:51 PM, Giganthrax said:

Do you have a laptop? Just connect it with a hdmi cable to the TV for when you have your D&D sessions. I figure even an old laptop will do for this.

I do but it won't run the dungeon alchemist app, it's way too intensive. (it's fully 3D rendered), besides it's a work laptop so I can't download anything

2 hours ago, Skulleater said:

I do but it won't run the dungeon alchemist app, it's way too intensive. (it's fully 3D rendered), besides it's a work laptop so I can't download anything

Maybe you can use Steam Remote Play or Parsec to remotely connect to your computer via the laptop? 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

52 minutes ago, Giganthrax said:

Maybe you can use Steam Remote Play or Parsec to remotely connect to your computer via the laptop? 

Doesn't that still mean I have to download something? The laptop I use is issued to my by my work and they don't allow installation of applications. So I use it for notes and information (browser stuff basically). Or is there a way to do it without installing steam?