Which GPU to upgrade.

Kanna

Hello, I’m thinking about finally retiring my GTX 1060 3GB from my PC with a ryzen 5 5600x and 32GB RAM, but of course I need a new GPU, but I have gotten tied between 2 GPUs that are in the same price range, but different generations. And I’m talking about a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4060 8GB vs a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. From what I’ve gathered these are great 1080p cards which is what I plan to run for at least 1 year more, and currently I don’t really run stuff over 144fps, I’m just not sure what to aim for, actual speed or a larger video memory for games that require it, give some input.

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Hello, I’m thinking about finally retiring my GTX 1060 3GB from my PC with a ryzen 5 5600x and 32GB RAM, but of course I need a new GPU, but I have gotten tied between 2 GPUs that are in the same price range, but different generations. And I’m talking about a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4060 8GB vs a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB. From what I’ve gathered these are great 1080p cards which is what I plan to run for at least 1 year more, and currently I don’t really run stuff over 144fps, I’m just not sure what to aim for, actual speed or a larger video memory for games that require it, give some input.

What country? What prices?

Are you not considering AMD cards? they offer far better performance for the price atm (FSR is almost as good as DLSS and the raytracing performance isn't much worse)

If US: a RX6700XT would cost $300 and be an easily better card than the 4060 or 3060.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Main PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/NByp3C

Secondary PC: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/cc9K7P

TrueNAS Server: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/will0hlep/saved/m37w3C

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

If the choice must be between RTX 3060 12GB or RTX 4060 8GB, I would take RTX 3060 12GB

Since it has more VRAM, and similar performance to 4060 counterpart

RTX 4060 does have features such as DLSS 3.0 or Frame Gen, but it's not significant bump because of minimalistic AI core, so I would choose the one with more VRAM

My System: Ryzen 7800X3D // Gigabyte B650 AORUS ELITE AX // 32GB DDR5 Silicon Power Zenith CL30 // Sapphire Pulse AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT OC with mod heatsink on the metal plate  // Phanteks P300A  // Gigabyte Aorus GEN4 7300 PCIE 4.0 NVME // Kingston NV2 Gen4 PCIE 4.0 NVME // 

Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fully Modular // Thermalright Frost Spirit 140 Black V3 // Phanteks M25 140mm // Display: Bezel 32MD845 V2 QHD // Keychron K8 Pro (Mod: Gateron black box ink; Tape mode on PCB and Keycaps) // Razer Cobra Wired Mouse // Audio Technica M50X Headphone // Sennheiser HD 650 // Genius SP-HF180 USB Speaker //

And Laptop Acer Nitro 5 AN515-45 for mobility

Phone:

iPhone 11 (with battery replaced instead of buying new phone for long term and not submitting (fully) to Apple Lord

6 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

What country? What prices?

Are you not considering AMD cards? they offer far better performance for the price atm (FSR is almost as good as DLSS and the raytracing performance isn't much worse)

If US: a RX6700XT would cost $300 and be an easily better card than the 4060 or 3060.

I’m in Sweden, and AMD cards Isn’t all that out of my area of interest, but I do rely a bit on NVIDIA Shadowplay, but alternatives exist, and also have their drivers been improving lately or is there still a risk of a larger instability?

3 minutes ago, ImWilly said:

If the choice must be between RTX 3060 12GB or RTX 4060 8GB, I would take RTX 3060 12GB

Since it has more VRAM, and similar performance to 4060 counterpart

RTX 4060 does have features such as DLSS 3.0 or Frame Gen, but it's not significant bump because of minimalistic AI core, so I would choose the one with more VRAM

Yeah when I compared these’s performance was quite similar, but the extra VRAM I have noticed is getting a little better to have nowadays.

Reminder⚠️

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

10 minutes ago, Kanna said:

From what I’ve gathered these are great 1080p cards which is what I plan to run for at least 1 year more, and currently I don’t really run stuff over 144fps, I’m just not sure what to aim for, actual speed or a larger video memory for games that require it, give some input.

What do you mean by planning to run for at least 1 year more?

As for GPU, it depends what you do on your PC, what games you play, are you story game enthusiast that enjoys maxed out settings but doesn't need lot of fps, or Warzone gamer that would like a balance between lot of fps and good graphics for clarity.

Also as others noticed, AMD cards aren't terrible, do you require Nvidia GPU for one of their features? CUDA, Nvenc, RT cores?

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I’m in Sweden, and AMD cards Isn’t all that out of my area of interest, but I do rely a bit on NVIDIA Shadowplay, but alternatives exist, and also have their drivers been improving lately or is there still a risk of a larger instability?

Drivers are alot better now, only issue is: you don't get NVENC, maybe check out some benchmarks of how well the cards stream.

I might be experienced, but I'm human and I do make mistakes. Expand for common PC building advice, a short bio and a list of my components and other tech. I edit my messages after sending them alot, please refresh before posting your reply. Please try to be clear and specific, you'll get a better answer. Please remember to mark solutions once you have the information you need.

Common build advice: 1) Buy the cheapest (well reviewed) motherboard that has the features you need. Paying more typically only gets you features you won’t use. 2) only get as much RAM as you need, getting more won’t (typically) make your PC faster. 3) While I recommend getting an NVMe drive, you don’t need to splurge for an expensive drive with DRam cache, DRamless drives are fine for gamers. 4) paying for looks is fine, just don’t break the bank. 5) Tower coolers are usually good enough, unless you go top tier Intel or plan on OCing. 6) OCing is a dead meme, you probably shouldn’t bother. 7) "Bottlenecks" rarely matter and "Future-proofing" is a myth. 8) AIOs don't noticably improve performance past 240mm.

useful websiteshttps://www.productchart.com - helps compare monitors, https://uk.pcpartpicker.com - makes designing a PC easier.

He/Him

I'm a PhD student working in the fields of reinforcement learning and traffic control. PCs are one of my hobbies and I've built many PCs and performed upgrades on a few laptops (for myself, friends and family). My personal computers include 3 windows (10/11) machines and a TrueNAS server (and I'm looking to move to dual booting Linux Mint on my main machine in future). While I believe I have an decent amount of experience in spec’ing, building and troubleshooting computers, keep in mind I'm not an expert or a professional and I make mistakes.

Favourite Games of all time: World of Tanks, Runescape, Subnautica, Metroid (Fusion and Dread), Spyro: Year of the Dragon (Original and Reignited Trilogy), Crash Bash, Mario Kart Wii

Laptop: 13.4" ASUS GZ301ZE ROG Flow Z13, WUXGA 120Hz, i9 12900H, 16GB DDR5, 1TB NVMe SSD, 4GB RTX 3050 Ti, TB4, Win11 Home, Used with: 2*ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock, Logitech G603, Logitech G502 Hero, Logitech K120, Logitech G915 TKL, Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2, Logitech G PRO X Gaming-Headset (with Blue Icepop in Black), {specs to be updated: two monitors}

Other: LTT Screwdriver, LTT Stubby Screwdriver, IFIXIT Pro Tech Toolkit, Playstation 1 SCPH-102, Playstation 2 SCPH-30003, Gameboy Micro Silver OXY-001, Nintendo Wii U WUP-001(03), Playstation 4 CUH-1116A, Nintendo Switch OLED HEG-001, Yamaha RX-A4A Black AV Receiver, Monitor Audio Radius (4*90s, 1*200s, 2*270s, 1*380s), TP-Link TL-SG105-M2, Netgear GS308, IPhone 14 Pro Max 128GB Space Black, Secretlab TITAN Evo (Black SoftWeave Plus Fabric), 2*CyberPower BR1200ELCD-UK BRICs Series, Samsung 40" ES6800 Series 6 SMART 3D FHD LED TV, UGREEN USB 3.2 Gen 2 10Gbps M.2 NVMe SSD Enclosure, SABRENT 3.5" SATA drive docking station

1 minute ago, podkall said:

What do you mean by planning to run for at least 1 year more?

As for GPU, it depends what you do on your PC, what games you play, are you story game enthusiast that enjoys maxed out settings but doesn't need lot of fps, or Warzone gamer that would like a balance between lot of fps and good graphics for clarity.

Also as others noticed, AMD cards aren't terrible, do you require Nvidia GPU for one of their features? CUDA, Nvenc, RT cores?

Well I’m mostly thinking I would run 1080p for at least 1 more year and perhaps upgrade to 1440p after that as it’s a neat middle resolution. I’m mostly playing competitive games I would say, mostly because I have my xbox series x if I really want performance, but this has of course led to many of my store games where graphics is to prefer on. PC have been left unplayed, I can’t really be more specific about which games other than like overwatch and CS2 which aren’t too heavy games, just mostly want something that would fair well over most games with like okay graphics and 60 fps. I’m not really locked behind any features, I do like my GeForce shadowplay, but there is always alternatives to that.

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, will0hlep said:

Drivers are alot better now, only issue is: you don't get NVENC, maybe check out some benchmarks of how well the cards stream.

Oh right the nvidia encoder, yeah perhaps I should look into some of that, but hopefully it’s not horrible, but might be simpler going green side too if I know it will work as I expect.

Reminder⚠️

4 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Oh right the nvidia encoder, yeah perhaps I should look into some of that, but hopefully it’s not horrible, but might be simpler going green side too if I know it will work as I expect.

I will work as expected, it just might not produce the same quality of stream. It will produce a far better gaming experiance though. It's annoyingly kind of a toss up: either good fps but lower quality stream, or lower fps with a better stream.

He/Him

30 minutes ago, Kanna said:

Well I’m mostly thinking I would run 1080p for at least 1 more year and perhaps upgrade to 1440p after that as it’s a neat middle resolution. I’m mostly playing competitive games I would say, mostly because I have my xbox series x if I really want performance, but this has of course led to many of my store games where graphics is to prefer on. PC have been left unplayed, I can’t really be more specific about which games other than like overwatch and CS2 which aren’t too heavy games, just mostly want something that would fair well over most games with like okay graphics and 60 fps. I’m not really locked behind any features, I do like my GeForce shadowplay, but there is always alternatives to that.

I guess it depends really on the planned games you want to play,

if your pick is to play the brandest newest games, then maybe VRAM could be necessary,

I could potentially drag in someone for a second oppinion, nobody is online rn tho, but perhaps @PDifolco can jump in once he comes up,

3060 is very compelling for the 12GB VRAM that can really be crucial in very new games that might utilize the VRAM,

while 4060 is ~20% faster card, but with lower VRAM meaning in some games at 4k max settings the 4060 tanks huge fps drop due to not enough VRAM, though not sure which games (mostly new games) might start doing that at 1440p max settings on the same VRAM

I've looked at benchmarks online of 3060 vs 4060, and the 4060 won everytime, except few games in 4K, and that didn't cover many new titles, lot of benchmarks still include games that barely use half of GPUs VRAM at max settings

Edited by podkall
edit

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

PCs I used before:

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

2 minutes ago, podkall said:

I could potentially drag in someone for a second oppinion, nobody is online rn tho

This forum is very north america heavy. The busy time on here is always while I'm asleep 🙂.

He/Him

1 minute ago, will0hlep said:

This forum is very north america heavy. The busy time on here is always while I'm asleep 🙂.

I can't blame them, LTT is an English entertainment/tech channel so the main audience is English speaking people,

and then through enthusiasm they can find their way on these forums, but same for me

PC:

PCs I used before:

6 minutes ago, podkall said:

I guess it depends really on the planned games you want to play,

if your pick is to play the brandest newest games, then maybe VRAM could be necessary,

I could potentially drag in someone for a second oppinion, nobody is online rn tho, but perhaps @PDifolco can jump in once he comes up,

3060 is very compelling for the 12GB VRAM that can really be crucial in very new games that might utilize the VRAM,

while 4060 is ~20% faster card, but with lower VRAM meaning in some games at 4k max settings the 4060 tanks huge fps drop due to not enough VRAM, though not sure which games (mostly new games) might start doing that at 1440p max settings on the same VRAM

I've looked at benchmarks online of 3060 vs 4060, and the 4060 won everytime, except few games in 4K, and that didn't cover many new titles, lot of benchmarks still include games that barely use half of GPUs VRAM at max settings

For FPS games you don't need any NVidia stuff (avoid DLSS in those games to shoot the target and not the ghost IA pixel, and RT out of question on these low tier cards), get ab AMD card, 6700XT or 6750XT

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

@Kanna what's your AMD equivalent for your budget? also what about used market or do you require brand new GPU?

PC:

PCs I used before:

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

my PC with a ryzen 5 5600x and 32GB RAM

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

1 minute ago, --SID-- said:

What's the brand and model of the PSU?

It’s a seasonic focus gx 650W 80+ gold, so I didn’t include it as both these GPUs were within that range.

Reminder⚠️

Just now, Kanna said:

It’s a seasonic focus gx 650W 80+ gold, so I didn’t include it as both these GPUs were within that range.

The one 650w PSU isn't the like the other. There are really bad 650w PSUs that can't run a 3060 but the Focus GX is fine.

13 minutes ago, podkall said:

@Kanna what's your AMD equivalent for your budget? also what about used market or do you require brand new GPU?

Well the RX 6700 XT is priced like $20 higher on a sale if I go to the store, as for the used market I live quite in a bad spot so market is quite inactive here, usually get old GPUs for sale that are before RTX series at a price which is often only like $180 less than my two options in the OP.

15 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

For FPS games you don't need any NVidia stuff (avoid DLSS in those games to shoot the target and not the ghost IA pixel, and RT out of question on these low tier cards), get ab AMD card, 6700XT or 6750XT

Do you think the AMD card would do sufficient in recording stuff while playing games while delivering good performance to make it worth the small price increase. As for the NVIDIA feats I didn’t really plan on using DLSS and similar tbh and ray tracing isn’t really a focus either. But I took a look at some benchmarks also and I don’t really think I will be all that limited by the 8GB VRAM if I were to go with the 4060 for the games I play / plan to play.

23 minutes ago, podkall said:

I guess it depends really on the planned games you want to play.

It’s a though question for me to answer really. Because I don’t play much more than the 3 same games on my PC due to me knowing I can’t really play much more / I can play it on my series x for example. 

Reminder⚠️

5 minutes ago, --SID-- said:

The one 650w PSU isn't the like the other. There are really bad 650w PSUs that can't run a 3060 but the Focus GX is fine.

Yeah I don’t regret buying a focus gx as they have really good quality.

Reminder⚠️

3 minutes ago, Kanna said:

I've got a focus GX 550W in my secondary machine, it has given me no issues so far 🙂.

He/Him

Just now, Kanna said:

It's a decent unit but compared to a Corsair RMx for example it's not that good. 40 degree rating, lower quality fan, thinner wire gauge PCI-e cables, rudimentary fancontrol without hysteresis so the fanspeed is ramping up pretty quickly.

Just now, --SID-- said:

It's a decent unit but compared to a Corsair RMx for example it's not that good. 40 degree rating, lower quality fan, thinner wire gauge PCI-e cables, rudimentary fancontrol without hysteresis so the fanspeed is ramping up pretty quickly.

To me those improvements are all pretty minimal. They both get 10 year warrenties and they both get Tier A status on the tier list. The only difference to me is I pay an extra $25 for the PSU (comparing the 750W models).

He/Him

31 minutes ago, Kanna said:

It’s a though question for me to answer really. Because I don’t play much more than the 3 same games on my PC due to me knowing I can’t really play much more / I can play it on my series x for example. 

you can check Epic Games or Steam library if you have such games you'd want to try

PC:

PCs I used before:

7 minutes ago, podkall said:

you can check Epic Games or Steam library if you have such games you'd want to try

Yeah I own a lot of games through steam and epic, but ofc have been limited due to my GPU 

Reminder⚠️

1 hour ago, Kanna said:

Yeah I own a lot of games through steam and epic, but ofc have been limited due to my GPU 

I think some of them could be playable on Low (with your current GPU), I had 1050 GTX and it surprised me how many games it could run, even if they had to be dialed down to Low graphics, I was even more limited on CPU than GPU before, making for example Battle Royale games unplayable

PC:

PCs I used before: