7700XT crashed - Had to uninstall and reinstall drivers/ adrenaline

Beef Boss
Go to solution Solved by CommanderAlex,
5 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

Okay, would you think the RM850x from Corsair would be good? It’s an 850w gold PSU - one of the few that’s available locally. 

Also, would it be wise to use the cables it comes with - I bought a cable mod kit to dress the system up but have seen mixed issues online. 

thank you so much for your help.

That's rated as Tier A on the PSU tier list (with Tier A being the highest), yeah that's a unit I typically recommend. 

I would highly recommend using the cables that come with the power supply, especially modular power supplies. Never try to mix power cables as they can use different pinouts on the PSU<->cable side that can use GND/#V at different pins and send to the wrong pins on the component end. I've seen quite a few threads where people get lazy and just swap the PSU and use the cables from a different PSU manufacturer and blow up their SATA drives, just as an example. 

Is this kit like a CableMod kit or just a generic kit off say Amazon? If your going down this route, I'd recommend going with the correct CableMod kit for the PSU or custom sleeve the cables yourself, which can be very laborious. 

Hey there, had a weird moment where my PC crashed - only output on one port of the gpu. Resolved it by uninstalling AMD adrenaline and having windows install a driver - then it worked. 
Any ideas on why this sort of thing could’ve happened? I’ve had a 1660 Super before and I’ve crashed it OC’ing, but I haven’t OC’d this card. 
system info :

5600x3d

32gb of 3200mhz gskill

asus 7700xt tuf gaming

asus b550 tuf gaming ii 

I just recently built this system and have about 10-15 hours on it. Always watch temps and nothing goes above 60c. 

just weirded out as mentioned I had over clocked an nvidia card had it crash but never reinstalled graphics, but I’ve been treating my new card like a baby. 

if anyone has any insight I’d appreciate it, thank you. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Have you used DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers before installing the AMD drivers?

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

1 minute ago, CommanderAlex said:

Have you used DDU to remove the Nvidia drivers before installing the AMD drivers?

This was on a previous build, this build has all new storage drives - the nvidia card has never been installed here. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

3 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

This was on a previous build, this build has all new storage drives - the nvidia card has never been installed here. 

Oh, just sounds like from the original post you had a 1660 in this system. 

Shouldn't have an effect but is BIOS up to date to support the 5600X3D? Running daisy chain or separate PCIe power to the 7700XT? Check power connections to make sure they are fully seated. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

15 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Oh, just sounds like from the original post you had a 1660 in this system. 

Shouldn't have an effect but is BIOS up to date to support the 5600X3D? Running daisy chain or separate PCIe power to the 7700XT? Check power connections to make sure they are fully seated. 

Running a few updates on the chipset drivers and such, I have two eight pin connections going to the gpu, no daisy chaining - though I had just seen the red light on the GPU above the power connectors looking into why that is, or was.. I had loaded up a game to see if it would work but the computer crashed again. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

7 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

Running a few updates on the chipset drivers and such, I have two eight pin connections going to the gpu, no daisy chaining - though I had just seen the red light on the GPU above the power connectors looking into why that is, or was.. I had loaded up a game to see if it would work but the computer crashed again. 

What power supply model are you using? Make, model, and wattage is good info to have. IIRC, those power lights for the cables on the card are typically for if there is an issue with the power coming into the card. 

Just now, CommanderAlex said:

What power supply model are you using? Make, model, and wattage is good info to have. IIRC, those power lights for the cables on the card are typically for if there is an issue with the power coming into the card. 

I believe it’s an EVGA 750w bronze, I did reuse that - so it is around 3 years old now. I’m thinking when the PC pulls a lot of power, I was playing starfield, it goes kaput, so probably a PSU issue? 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

Just now, Beef Boss said:

I believe it’s an EVGA 750w bronze, I did reuse that - so it is around 3 years old now. I’m thinking when the PC pulls a lot of power, I was playing starfield, it goes kaput, so probably a PSU issue? 

Definitely a PSU issue!! I'd recommend changing out the unit if it's one of EVGA's lower end units and go for something like Corsairs RM/RMx series or EVGA G2. If that unit is near or at the end of it's warranty, then I'd recommend changing. PSUs can kill other components when they decide to go. 

Definitely a PSU issue!! I'd recommend changing out the unit if it's one of EVGA's lower end units and go for something like Corsairs RM/RMx series or EVGA G2. If that unit is near or at the end of its warranty, then I'd recommend changing. PSUs can kill other components when they decide to go. 

Okay, would you think the RM850x from Corsair would be good? It’s an 850w gold PSU - one of the few that’s available locally. 

Also, would it be wise to use the cables it comes with - I bought a cable mod kit to dress the system up but have seen mixed issues online. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

5 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

That's rated as Tier A on the PSU tier list (with Tier A being the highest), yeah that's a unit I typically recommend. 

I would highly recommend using the cables that come with the power supply, especially modular power supplies. Never try to mix power cables as they can use different pinouts on the PSU<->cable side that can use GND/#V at different pins and send to the wrong pins on the component end. I've seen quite a few threads where people get lazy and just swap the PSU and use the cables from a different PSU manufacturer and blow up their SATA drives, just as an example. 

Is this kit like a CableMod kit or just a generic kit off say Amazon? If your going down this route, I'd recommend going with the correct CableMod kit for the PSU or custom sleeve the cables yourself, which can be very laborious. 

I can’t thank you enough for your help, I really appreciate it - I will use the supplied Corsair cables then! 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

2 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

I can’t thank you enough for your help, I really appreciate it - I will use the supplied Corsair cables then! 

Anytime!!

If there's still an issue, we're always here to help! 😀

22 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Anytime!!

If there's still an issue, we're always here to help! 😀

Just an update - I got the new PSU and everything works amazingly. Really appreciate the help. thank you. 

the GPU spiked on cyberpunk to 280w of usage which before would max at 200 watts - I almost fear 850 watts isn’t enough haha. 

Corsair 4000D RGB

Asus B550 Tuf Gaming II

Asus 7700XT Tuf Gaming

AMD 5600x3d

32gb 3200mhz gskil 

4 minutes ago, Beef Boss said:

Just an update - I got the new PSU and everything works amazingly. Really appreciate the help. thank you. 

the GPU spiked on cyberpunk to 280w of usage which before would max at 200 watts - I almost fear 850 watts isn’t enough haha. 

Awesome to hear that!! 

Glad we found the solution.