Should I sell my 6800 XT for a newer 7800 XT?

JustinHunter
Go to solution Solved by Neutraliz,

Not worth it in my opinion, barely no uplift over the 6800XT, if not slower in some occasions. It's more like, a new positionning in the market vs. nvidia, and some features here and there.

It's a good card, but only for people looking for a new build or upgrading older cards (like RTX 10 series/20 series / RX 5000 series / RX Vega...). 
Keep your money for newer generations in the future with an actual uplift in performance. Your 6800XT gonna keep banging for few years. 

Bought a barely used reference 6800 XT used back in June, thinking of selling it for a new 7800 XT. 

The card doesn't have a warranty unfortunately because it was originally bought from the AMD store.

Doing the math, the new card costs (all in CAD) : $724.50 after tax,- $94 after tax (Frontiers of Pandora is currently being offered for free) - $550 which is what I can sell the card for = $80

So all in all I would be paying $80 for a new card which is more recent (newer features, longer driver support), plus it's going to have a 3 year warranty on it.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Not worth it in my opinion, barely no uplift over the 6800XT, if not slower in some occasions. It's more like, a new positionning in the market vs. nvidia, and some features here and there.

It's a good card, but only for people looking for a new build or upgrading older cards (like RTX 10 series/20 series / RX 5000 series / RX Vega...). 
Keep your money for newer generations in the future with an actual uplift in performance. Your 6800XT gonna keep banging for few years. 

9 minutes ago, JustinHunter said:

So all in all I would be paying $80 for a new card which is more recent (newer features, longer driver support), plus it's going to have a 3 year warranty on it.

and or you could see it as

paying 80$ for a card that isn't much better and replaces an already known working card , however you want to see it is up to you. for me consistency is more valuable than 80$

7 minutes ago, emosun said:

and or you could see it as

paying 80$ for a card that isn't much better and replaces an already known working card , however you want to see it is up to you. for me consistency is more valuable than 80$

Could you elaborate on the last part? What I'm getting it from it is that, since I've already had this card for a while and it's proven to be reliable/consistent up to this point, that's more valuable than spending 80$?

I don't disagree, just seeing if I'm getting it right

Just now, JustinHunter said:

Could you elaborate on the last part? What I'm getting it from it is that, since I've already had this card for a while and it's proven to be reliable/consistent up to this point, that's more valuable than spending 80$?

I don't disagree, just seeing if I'm getting it right

pretty much , yes.

if you were upgrading to a gpu that was leaps and bounds better , you'd have more to consider. But since the "upgrade" will have little effect on performance the actual consistency of the previous gpu has more value and is what I'd consider instead.