Yellowed O11 Air Mini

Battler624

I got the case from a PC Cafe for almost free, but the its absolutely dusty and the white color turned yellow (Probably due to smoking), even the glass is yellowish and not clear, i wanna fix this and clean it up (then use it for a NAS build) any ideas on how to proceed?

What I have in mind is to just hose it down and use soap, and then soak it for a few days in h2o2, and hose it again. Any warnings or better alternatives?

26 minutes ago, Battler624 said:

What I have in mind is to just hose it down and use soap, and then soak it for a few days in h2o2, and hose it again. Any warnings or better alternatives?

Fill a tub with bleach and leave it there for a weekend. Good luck

33 minutes ago, Battler624 said:

I got the case from a PC Cafe for almost free, but the its absolutely dusty and the white color turned yellow (Probably due to smoking), even the glass is yellowish and not clear, i wanna fix this and clean it up (then use it for a NAS build) any ideas on how to proceed?

Yes hydrogen peroxide or bleach should work. As for the yellowing you don't have to be in a smokey environment to get yellowing. My old NZXT case top yellowed and there's no smokers in the house.

If it's because of tobacco smoke and/or vaping, any decent spray cleaner will remove it. Fantastik is one. 

If it's permanently discolored, I think there are products that can help. Sorry, I can't recommend anything specific. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

I'm surprised it's yellowed that quickly as that case (Lian-Li O11 Dynamic Air Mini) has only been out for a couple of years.

I would be hesitant using Bleach or Hydrogen Peroxide on the case without first testing on a small portion to verify it won't attach the finish. Say the 2-slot PCIe Expansion Card retainer at the back).

As for using it for a NAS Build ... it only supports 4 x 3.5" HDDs and mounting two on the side bracket is tricky:

FaH BOINC HfM

Bifrost - 6 GPU Folding Rig  Linux Folding HOWTO Folding Remote Access Folding GPU Profiling ToU Scheduling UPS

Systems:

desktop: Lian-Li O11 Air Mini; Asus ProArt x670 WiFi; Ryzen 9 7950x; EVGA 240 CLC; 4 x 32GB DDR5-5600; 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 500GB PCIe3 NVMe; 2 x 8TB NAS; AMD FirePro W4100; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair SF750

nas1: Fractal Node 804; SuperMicro X10sl7-f; Xeon e3-1231v3; 4 x 8GB DDR3-1666 ECC; 2 x 250GB Samsung EVO Pro SSD; 7 x 4TB Seagate NAS; Corsair HX650i

nas2: Synology DS-123j; 2 x 6TB WD Red Plus NAS

nas3: Synology DS-224+; 2 x 12TB Seagate NAS

dcn01: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte Aorus ax570 Master; Ryzen 9 5900x; Noctua NH-D15; 4 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 512GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750Mx

dcn02: Fractal Meshify S2; Gigabyte ax570 Pro WiFi; Ryzen 9 3950x; Noctua NH-D15; 2 x 16GB DDR4-3200; 128GB NVMe; 2 x Zotac AMP 4070ti; Corsair RM750x

dcn03: Fractal Meshify C; Gigabyte Aorus z370 Gaming 5; i9-9900k; BeQuiet! PureRock 2 Black; 2 x 8GB DDR4-2400; 128GB SATA m.2; MSI 4070 Ti Super Gaming X; MSI 4070 Ti Super Ventus 2; Corsair TX650m

dcn05: Fractal Define S; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SATA NVMe; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair TX750m

dcn06: Fractal Focus G Mini; Gigabyte Aorus b450m; Ryzen 7 2700; AMD Wraith; 2 x 8GB DDR 4-3200; 128GB SSD; Gigabyte Gaming RTX 4080 Super; Corsair CX650m

1 hour ago, RevGAM said:

If it's because of tobacco smoke and/or vaping, any decent spray cleaner will remove it. Fantastik is one. 

Depends on how long it has been and how much lol

Revamped a house that had a guy living in it for the past 10 years - smoked more than a pack a day and never cleaned once. Hoarder situation

There were a lot of things that it would not come out of. Glass? no problem. Metal? As long as it was smooth/not porous like cast iron. Plastics? Many plastic things just had to be thrown out. Never got the yellow color out of the exhaust fans no matter how hard I tried. Let them soak for days and elbow greased the heck out of with a few different things. Smell stuck around too. Just had to buy new ones

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

5 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Depends on how long it has been and how much lol

Revamped a house that had a guy living in it for the past 10 years - smoked more than a pack a day and never cleaned once. Hoarder situation

There were a lot of things that it would not come out of. Glass? no problem. Metal? As long as it was smooth/not porous like cast iron. Plastics? Many plastic things just had to be thrown out. Never got the yellow color out of the exhaust fans no matter how hard I tried. Let them soak for days and elbow greased the heck out of with a few different things. Smell stuck around too. Just had to buy new ones

Absolutely agree. Not knowing about the materials, aside from glass, I assumed glass and metal. When I cleaned decades of tobacco smoke grunge off of some filing cabinets, they changed from brown to grey. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Absolutely agree. Not knowing about the materials, aside from glass, I assumed glass and metal. When I cleaned decades of tobacco smoke grunge off of some filing cabinets, they changed from brown to grey. 

I'm worried the case metal might be slightly porous, but I think it should be fine/easy enough to clean, especially back to white rather than some other color

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

13 minutes ago, ItTakes2ToMango said:

I'm worried the case metal might be slightly porous, but I think it should be fine/easy enough to clean, especially back to white rather than some other color

I wouldn't worry about the metal - the paint is the potential problem...

thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll try what gorgon said, i'll try on a PCIE bracket first and if it doesn't cause issues with paint i'll just leave it there for a weekend.

Hopefully it all works out ❤️