Laptop i7 10870h low boost frequencies

wesker465
Go to solution Solved by unclewebb,

@wesker465

image.png.3cc2c243476f69c570d0b677e5280248.png

ThrottleStop shows that both PL1 turbo power limits are set to 55W. This is not enough power for a 10870H to maintain maximum speed. Power limit throttling is the result. The CPU is being forced to slow down so long term power consumption does not exceed 55W.

If you want to try and fix this problem, check the MMIO Lock box in the Turbo Power Limits section. 

In the Power Limit Controls section, clear the Disable Controls box and set Long Power PL1 higher than 55W. I would set this power limit to at least 80W or 90W. Your cooling system is doing its job so increasing the MSR PL1 power limit should not be a problem. 

There is a third set of turbo power limits controlled by an embedded controller (EC). ThrottleStop does not have access to the EC power limits. Only some laptops use EC power limits. I do not think your Clevo sets an EC power limit. If you use ThrottleStop to fix the MSR and MMIO power limits and you still see PL1 power limit throttling in the ThrottleStop log file, that means the EC power limit is being used. It is likely set to 55W.

The other item that shows up in the log file is TVB. This stands for Thermal Velocity Boost. Intel calls this boost but it is actually throttling. When your CPU gets up to 65°C, you will start to see TVB in the far right column of the log file. This type of throttling is ridiculous. There is no reason the CPU needs to slow down at only 65°C. The amount of slow down is only 100 MHz but in your case, it is completely unnecessary. To disable TVB throttling you need to clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window. Unfortunately your BIOS has locked out FIVR control. Unless you can find a way to unlock the BIOS, you will not be able to adjust the CPU voltage while in Windows and you cannot disable TVB throttling. If you see anything TVB related in the BIOS, disable it. Remember, it is not boost, it causes throttling.  

The log file shows lots and lots of PL1 and TVB throttling. Your 10870H really is running at 3700 MHz. The two types of throttling being used are not temperature related. 

Hey, I own clevo nh87 with 10870h cpu and 3060 90W gpu. Laptop has 190W power supply.  I got problem in games. Laptop rarely reach even 4,1ghz... Often it has only3.5-4.0 ghz in games.. Its quite low. Not to mention laptop has watercooling so the temps are max 65 on cpu and max 62-63 on gpu.  I dont know whats the problem, where to start diagnosing it.

Laptop has been set to max performance in power plan, and in clevo control center.

Here is the example from division 2 

371454038_1377965886134974_7538517158179175855_n.thumb.jpg.cb3b5d58cee69cdec4027c2b96af6349.jpg

@wesker465

Try running ThrottleStop 9.6

https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Post screenshots of the main window, the FIVR and TPL windows so I can see your settings. Open the Options window and check the Nvidia GPU box. Check the Log File box on the main screen of ThrottleStop and then go play a game for 15 minutes. When done testing, exit the game and then exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. This file will be in the ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Attach a log file to your next post so I can see how your game is running. 

Intel mobile CPUs can rapidly vary the amount of turbo boost they are using depending on how many cores are active. The 10870H has 8 cores and 16 threads available. Most games are not written to fully utilize a CPU like this. Some monitoring software will try to report data from cores that are in one of the low power C states. The on screen MHz being reported might be popular but there are times when it is not accurate.

Some ThrottleStop screenshots and a log file will show if there is an actual MHz throttling problem or if it is just a software bug.  

Ok I did approx 20 min game session. Here is log and screens from throttlestop.   BTW it is worth mentioning that I have unlocked Insyde h2 bios for that clevo... But didnt change anything in it.

Screenshot_1.png.a848309d075a3fe244fd0a72532d9335.png

Screenshot_2.thumb.png.25b99a7c418d290d6be7a0f907b72fc0.png

Screenshot_3.png.de8a82eb4f122c73f5672ca44f967cdb.png

2023-11-08.txt

@wesker465

image.png.3cc2c243476f69c570d0b677e5280248.png

ThrottleStop shows that both PL1 turbo power limits are set to 55W. This is not enough power for a 10870H to maintain maximum speed. Power limit throttling is the result. The CPU is being forced to slow down so long term power consumption does not exceed 55W.

If you want to try and fix this problem, check the MMIO Lock box in the Turbo Power Limits section. 

In the Power Limit Controls section, clear the Disable Controls box and set Long Power PL1 higher than 55W. I would set this power limit to at least 80W or 90W. Your cooling system is doing its job so increasing the MSR PL1 power limit should not be a problem. 

There is a third set of turbo power limits controlled by an embedded controller (EC). ThrottleStop does not have access to the EC power limits. Only some laptops use EC power limits. I do not think your Clevo sets an EC power limit. If you use ThrottleStop to fix the MSR and MMIO power limits and you still see PL1 power limit throttling in the ThrottleStop log file, that means the EC power limit is being used. It is likely set to 55W.

The other item that shows up in the log file is TVB. This stands for Thermal Velocity Boost. Intel calls this boost but it is actually throttling. When your CPU gets up to 65°C, you will start to see TVB in the far right column of the log file. This type of throttling is ridiculous. There is no reason the CPU needs to slow down at only 65°C. The amount of slow down is only 100 MHz but in your case, it is completely unnecessary. To disable TVB throttling you need to clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window. Unfortunately your BIOS has locked out FIVR control. Unless you can find a way to unlock the BIOS, you will not be able to adjust the CPU voltage while in Windows and you cannot disable TVB throttling. If you see anything TVB related in the BIOS, disable it. Remember, it is not boost, it causes throttling.  

The log file shows lots and lots of PL1 and TVB throttling. Your 10870H really is running at 3700 MHz. The two types of throttling being used are not temperature related. 

I did increase PL1 power limit to 90W, chcecked the MIMO Lock box and there is no PL1 "error" in throttlestop log...Only that damn TVB... I'll look into bios maybe there is something that connects to TVB thing.

One question, how to make those PL1 adjustments in thorottlestop permanent ?? I mean do I have to manually start throttlestop every time laptop powers up  or restarts ??

Ok I think I unlocked bios and options in throttlestop, can You verifu on screen ??? Also the TVB is unchecked now in program.

Screenshot_1.thumb.png.0cf1ec909ece6e7da16b851ea7c3b2a8.png

There was ENABLED option in bios marked on screen..I've disabled it

screen2.thumb.jpg.cbe6d330ba50deca1122e120f4e218f8.jpg

Ok I set up PL1 90W , PL2 135W, turned off TVB and it seems its working now like it should be , however above question remains, hot to set up throttlestop to automaticaly run and apply changes at every startup ???

I made some undervolting ( -85mV ) but it seems has no effect...maybe slightly   BUT  frequency is rock solid 4,1ghz and never drops down.  Here is log from gaming session 

2023-11-09.txt

I guess its fixed then ??? 🤔

10 hours ago, wesker465 said:

I made some undervolting ( -85mV )

For most CPUs, you have to undervolt both the core and the cache or else your undervolt request will not do anything. If your temperatures are good and your CPU is able to run at full speed now, you do not need to undervolt. If you do decide to undervolt, somewhere around -70 mV is usually 100% stable for similar 10th Gen mobile CPUs. 

If your BIOS gives you access to the turbo power limits then I would just set PL1 and PL2 in the BIOS. If you make any BIOS changes like this, delete the ThrottleStop.INI configuration file before running ThrottleStop so it can read the new values from the CPU. If you do not do this, ThrottleStop will always use the previous values that were saved to its config file.  

10 hours ago, wesker465 said:

rock solid 4,1ghz and never drops down

That is how a properly functioning 10870H should work. Glad you were able to fix this problem. You only needed a couple of minor tweaks. Who knew that Thermal Velocity Boost actually causes TVB throttling? The Intel marketing department must have dreamed up that name.   

32 minutes ago, unclewebb said:

Who knew that Thermal Velocity Boost actually causes TVB throttling? The Intel marketing department must have dreamed up that name. 

I wouldnt know this if not You.  I am very grateful for Your tips and help. Thank You 🙂 

11 hours ago, wesker465 said:

however above question remains, hot to set up throttlestop to automaticaly run and apply changes at every startup ???

You will need to set up starting Throttlestop in Windows Task Scheduler, I done it this way and it’s working alright since then. There’s a guide how to do it 

https://www.repairwin.com/how-to-start-throttlestop-at-windows-startup/

I made some undervolting ( -85mV )

Maybe ur laptop have also locked capabilities of undervolting and whatever settings u apply don’t take any effect, it was definitely case with my laptop ( Gigabyte G5-KC) , I had to unlock it separately and after that the settings properly kicked in.

I guess its fixed then ??? 🤔

If u satisfied with the results now then sounds like it’s fixed haha

@Whiro tag or quote will do the trick 
i5 3570K @ 4.7Ghz  |  AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Performance  |  Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1600MHz  |  ASUS Strix GTX 970 OC  |  Phanteks P400S TG  (mesh panel) |  EVGA 500W1  |  Storage: Corsair 60GB SSD (boot), Gigabyte 120GB SSD, WD 2Tb HDD | Cooling: Custom loop

EKWB EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM

EKWB EK Supremacy Evo , naked die

EKWB EK Thermosphere 

EKWB EK CoolStream PE 360

EKWB EK Coolstream SE 120

EKWB EK Vardar 120s  x6

EKWB EK STC Classic 10/16  x10

EKWB EK DuraClear Tubing 16/10

EKWB EK CryoFuel Acid Green

Laptop: Gigabyte G5-KC | i5 10500H | RTX 3060

WHIRO

THE FIRST OF DEATH AND DARKNESS