Keychron Q6 vs Logitech G915

Misinthe
Go to solution Solved by saintlouisbagels,

Those are two very different keyboards and we don't know what your priorities are.

I would only buy a gaming keyboard if

• you really like all-black aesthetic keyboards
  • dedicated macro keys are important

Otherwise, most gaming keyboards use mechanical switches with non-traditional stems, so it makes buying aftermarket keycaps essentially impossible. This is a pain if you need a replacement keycap. They also do not feature hot-swappable PCBs most of the time - this makes "fixing" your keyboard an issue because you'd need a soldering and desoldering kit for replacing bad mechanical switches. This also makes it a huge time-waste if you want to try different switch styles.

If you stay away from gaming brands, you'll encounter a lot of keyboards with hot-swappable PCB and MX-style mechanical switches. Both of these features makes it very trivial to try out the vast ocean of aftermarket keycaps and mechanical switches to make your perfect keyboard.

Is money a big issue?

Keychron's Q-series line is more for enthusiasts who notice small details. You could look into the V6 which goes for $74-$99.

I'm a NuPhy fanboy but they don't offer any 100% keyboards - they sell 96% boards like the Halo96. I would say NuPhy's best feature over Keychron would be their inclusion of a 2.4Ghz dongle. Keychron's wireless is only Bluetooth. And in my opinion, Keychron boards sound lifeless - which I guess makes them a good candidate to play with various filler materials to customize the sound to your liking.

I’m about to purchase a keyboard, and I was debating between the G915 and the Keychron Q6, but after more research I locked on the Keychron Q6. Right now, the price of the G915 dropped to $160, that’s a savings of $90. So I’m debating if I should get it at this price or spend the extra money for the Keychron Q6, I’ve never tried a Keychron keyboard, is it really worth the extra $70?

Thanks for any advice!

Those are two very different keyboards and we don't know what your priorities are.

Otherwise, most gaming keyboards use mechanical switches with non-traditional stems, so it makes buying aftermarket keycaps essentially impossible. This is a pain if you need a replacement keycap. They also do not feature hot-swappable PCBs most of the time - this makes "fixing" your keyboard an issue because you'd need a soldering and desoldering kit for replacing bad mechanical switches. This also makes it a huge time-waste if you want to try different switch styles.

If you stay away from gaming brands, you'll encounter a lot of keyboards with hot-swappable PCB and MX-style mechanical switches. Both of these features makes it very trivial to try out the vast ocean of aftermarket keycaps and mechanical switches to make your perfect keyboard.

Is money a big issue?

Keychron's Q-series line is more for enthusiasts who notice small details. You could look into the V6 which goes for $74-$99.

I'm a NuPhy fanboy but they don't offer any 100% keyboards - they sell 96% boards like the Halo96. I would say NuPhy's best feature over Keychron would be their inclusion of a 2.4Ghz dongle. Keychron's wireless is only Bluetooth. And in my opinion, Keychron boards sound lifeless - which I guess makes them a good candidate to play with various filler materials to customize the sound to your liking.

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

1 hour ago, saintlouisbagels said:

Is money a big issue?

Thank you for that information, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I don't care about the all-black aesthetic or the macro keys. Neither do I care about the Wireless connectivity, this is to use with my desktop only. I've been using 100% keyboards for over 25 years, I've never been able to adjust to anything less than that. I guess I'll wait and see if the Q6 goes on sale for BF.

5 hours ago, Misinthe said:

Thank you for that information, that's exactly what I needed to hear. I don't care about the all-black aesthetic or the macro keys. Neither do I care about the Wireless connectivity, this is to use with my desktop only. I've been using 100% keyboards for over 25 years, I've never been able to adjust to anything less than that. I guess I'll wait and see if the Q6 goes on sale for BF.

The V6 didn’t look interesting?

Found some options. It's very limiting trying to find full-sized keyboards.

https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/search.php?search_type=keyboard&keyword=Hotswap&brand=&capmat=&capprint=&switch=&size=Full-Size&led=&model=&availability=on

Edited by saintlouisbagels

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |