VR headset for regular non-vr games.

Wooksley

tl;dr: Is using a VR headset as a gaming monitor a good idea and if so which one would you recommend? 

So, I have this rather unique problem and I’m afraid I am in dire need of some advice. I have a rather beefy gaming PC but I don’t really game on it regularly because I have an office job and sitting on an armchair all the time is quite tiring. It would probably be nice to have a gaming TV to game on, but I can’t really fit it in my bedroom (where my PC set up is). So, can I use a VR headset as a gaming monitor? If so, which one should I choose? Thing is, I’ve never tried any VR headsets and I don’t know that much about them so I’m kinda lost.

My thought process so far is that I don’t really care for VR itself, I just want to play regular PC games, so I don’t care about tracking accuracy. And I presume I need a native DisplayPort connection because of latency and video quality. Am I missing something? Or is this idea just outright stupid and I should figure out a way to fit a TV in here? 

It's not stupid at all, that's one of the great things about VR, you can have a giant screen infront of you anywhere without having to move a TV!

If you want a wireless headset that can do all of that, get the Pico 4

Can it be used?

Totally but I really do not recommend it.

Motion sickness, blurry image, wearing discomfort, eyestrain, image fringing, text being unreadable,

they all happen as the lenses in none are really good enough. You should also try it because a lot of people get quite uncomfortable after a bit in vr even if its static.

Many people try this but basically none stick as its just not there yet

42 minutes ago, randy123 said:

It's not stupid at all, that's one of the great things about VR, you can have a giant screen infront of you anywhere without having to move a TV!

If you want a wireless headset that can do all of that, get the Pico 4

I don’t think it has a native DP, so I’m concerned about latency and video quality. I was actually looking at Pico 3 link. 

16 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Can it be used?

Totally but I really do not recommend it.

Motion sickness, blurry image, wearing discomfort, eyestrain, image fringing, text being unreadable,

they all happen as the lenses in none are really good enough. You should also try it because a lot of people get quite uncomfortable after a bit in vr even if its static.

Many people try this but basically none stick as its just not there yet

Well, that’s a very informative answer, thank you. I didn’t even realize that VR can be so problematic. And I can’t really try it before I buy it because I don’t have any friends who have a VR headset. 

7 minutes ago, Wooksley said:

I don’t think it has a native DP, so I’m concerned about latency and video quality. I was actually looking at Pico 3 link. 

Well, that’s a very informative answer, thank you. I didn’t even realize that VR can be so problematic. And I can’t really try it before I buy it because I don’t have any friends who have a VR headset. 

Most people do not get any of that. 

• 2 months later...

Absolutely! Using a VR headset as a gaming monitor is a viable solution for your unique setup. For your preference, prioritizing a headset with a native DisplayPort connection is wise for lower latency and better video quality. Consider options like Oculus Quest  Rift S or Valve Index for a comfortable gaming experience without compromising on PC game quality. Happy gaming! 🕹️👓