High temps after cleaning and Repasting

yaw_R

Hi like the title says I am getting higher temps while gaming (CS2 mostly) and while doing basic tasks. I really don't know what to do at this point since I have re applied thermal paste, cleaned A LOT of dust out and verified the AIO is working via BIOS and feeling the tubes. I noticed it hot a few night ago when I was stuttering in game and upon restart I got a warning. When I started to diagnose I realized how dirty my pc was and decided to do a deep clean of it and feel it helped a little since I haven't got a warning since but still think its too hot. 

CASE Lian li O11

CPU Ryzen 5900x (I have offset the voltage slightly .0125 with no help and don't want to take this route unless necessary)

GPU Asus Tuff 3080

MOBO MPG B550 Carbon

OS Windows 10 pro Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

RAM G.Skill Trident Neo XAMP enabled to 3200

PSU Corsair RM850x

BIOS American Megatrends International, LLC 1.B0, 8/10/2022

I have been monitoring CPUID HWMonitor pretty close since this has been going on and since writing this post and talking in discord I have seen the temps go from 45c to 56c at the highest. When I add a YouTube video or Twitch video I see it top out around 65c. I feel these temps are high.

When in CS2 the temps rise to around 75-83c and I think that is really high as friends with Intel pcs don't come close to that temp. When I run cinebench or heavyload it goes straight to 90c and hovers around there +-5c.

I hope I have given enough information to get some help on this as I feel my next step would be replace the AIO and if I did that I am thinking about going air cooled. What kind of air cooler would be best for this setup? 

TIA!

Ambient temperature?
For all we know you are sitting in a hot room with ambient temperature = 35c and your friends are sitting in cold rooms & ambient temperature = 15c...
Which would be 20c difference 😆. Their ~70c would be your ~90c... get it.
Yeah I know this is an extreme example, but frankly I'm tired of seeing posts that ommit that piece of info.

49 minutes ago, yaw_R said:

I hope I have given enough information

You forgot to say which AIO?
Never mind, I found it in your other post:

Lian Li fans and Galahad AIO...
Bottom and Side fans are pull while the AIO is push 9 fans in total

So - Galahad AIO 360?

Anyhow,

49 minutes ago, yaw_R said:

When I run cinebench or heavyload it goes straight to 90c and hovers around there +-5c.

How straight / how fast are we talking about?
If the temperature change is instantaneous that typically indicates a bad paste job or a bad mount.
But... being Galahad AIO 360, I suggest you read this thread:

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

easy solution just downclock your CPU and GPU. Maybe max out the frequency at 4 or 4.5 GHZ and see how that works.  Usually just doing that will improve temperatures tremendously without affecting performance too much. Same can be applied to the GPU so temperatures are also lowered.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

Ambient temperature?
For all we know you are sitting in a hot room with ambient temperature = 35c and your friends are sitting in cold rooms & ambient temperature = 15c...
Which would be 20c difference 😆. Their ~70c would be your ~90c... get it.
Yeah I know this is an extreme example, but frankly I'm tired of seeing posts that ommit that piece of info.

You forgot to say which AIO?
Never mind, I found it in your other post:

So - Galahad AIO 360?

Anyhow,

How straight / how fast are we talking about?
If the temperature change is instantaneous that typically indicates a bad paste job or a bad mount.
But... being Galahad AIO 360, I suggest you read this thread:

Yes the Galahad 360 is what I have and I will read that post.

The temps get to 90c within 5 maybe 10 seconds. 

As for the room I keep the ac/heat at like 70f which is like 20c(SORRY). I also open the window when it I feel it getting hot in the room since its winter and no AC is running. I have even been pointing a fan right at my pc and with the 45f air outside and it is still getting the temps mentioned above. 

I am starting to lean toward a bad mount or paste issue. I will read the Galahad thread you linked thanks!

7 hours ago, yaw_R said:

Yes the Galahad 360 is what I have and I will read that post.

As for the room I keep the ac/heat at like 70f which is like 20c(SORRY). I also open the window when it I feel it getting hot in the room since its winter and no AC is running. I have even been pointing a fan right at my pc and with the 45f air outside and it is still getting the temps mentioned above. 

I am starting to lean toward a bad mount or paste issue. I will read the Galahad thread you linked thanks!

The temps you've mentioned are not bad. Benchmark tests are not useful unless they replicate the heavy work you do. 

Can you do better? Yes, but you will probably have to experiment with mounting pressure and maybe an offset frame. The Galahad can certainly handle that CPU. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

17 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The temps you've mentioned are not bad. Benchmark tests are not useful unless they replicate the heavy work you do. 

Yeah but still he is hitting tjmax... that shouldn't be happening with a 360 AIO, even under not-normal use.
Unless he goes out of his way and OC / overvolt the crap out of it.

7 hours ago, yaw_R said:

es the Galahad 360 is what I have and I will read that post.

You are welcome.
Yeah it is a lot, and I'd try mounting it again a few times.
Btw are you sure your paste is ok? I don't mean the application (no such thing as too much paste), bud the state of the paste itself...
A few years back I've personally had the misfortune of getting a bad batch of "NT-H1" (was extremely runny for some reason), tried it twice and had unsatisfactory results, switched over to a new tube of totally mediocre "Be quiet! DC-1" and my problems went away (oh and my mount was exactly the same as the 1st two times).
TL;DR try with a fresh tube of thermal paste.

^ not a crypto wallet

2 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

Yeah but still he is hitting tjmax... that shouldn't be happening with a 360 AIO, even under not-normal use.
Unless he goes out of his way and OC / overvolt the crap out of it.

You are welcome.
Yeah it is a lot, and I'd try mounting it again a few times.
Btw are you sure your paste is ok? I don't mean the application (no such thing as too much paste), bud the state of the paste itself...
A few years back I've personally had the misfortune of getting a bad batch of "NT-H1" (was extremely runny for some reason), tried it twice and had unsatisfactory results, switched over to a new tube of totally mediocre "Be quiet! DC-1" and my problems went away (oh and my mount was exactly the same as the 1st two times).
TL;DR try with a fresh tube of thermal paste.

I used Corsair XTM50 new from BestBuy and it did have a little bit of runny liquid come out first but I wiped it off then applied until it came out normal. I will try repasting again tonight probably spread it on like butter. After reading the topic on the Galahad I went ahead and put in a warranty request since I am in the time frame.

I do move every 3-6 months so I guess I could have a bubble as well? Since I am constantly moving the pc?  How could I address this?

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Can you do better? Yes, but you will probably have to experiment with mounting pressure and maybe an offset frame. The Galahad can certainly handle that CPU. 

The part that makes it easy for me to see I have a problem is when I am in a counter strike 2 game. The temps at main menu hover right around 75c and when I get in game it goes up to 85c sometimes touching 90c. Last night I had it even hit 95c while I had the window open with a fan blowing the cool air straight at the pc probably 5 feet away. 

What is an offset frame? Is that to do with mounting pressure? 

6 hours ago, Biohazard777 said:

I agree, and that's why I wrote:

6 hours ago, RevGAM said:

3 hours ago, yaw_R said:

I do move every 3-6 months so I guess I could have a bubble as well? Since I am constantly moving the pc?  How could I address this?

Probably not an issue.

3 hours ago, yaw_R said:

The part that makes it easy for me to see I have a problem is when I am in a counter strike 2 game. The temps at main menu hover right around 75c and when I get in game it goes up to 85c sometimes touching 90c. Last night I had it even hit 95c while I had the window open with a fan blowing the cool air straight at the pc probably 5 feet away. 

What is an offset frame? Is that to do with mounting pressure? 

Right, so I suggested the above.

An offset frame  bracket repositions the pump head over the hottest part of the CPU.

Before and after test results on Reddit

der8auer Offset Bracket review from 2020 on Tom's Hardware

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

10 hours ago, yaw_R said:

used Corsair XTM50 new from BestBuy and it did have a little bit of runny liquid come out first but I wiped it off then applied until it came out normal.

Bring it back, it has started to separate.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

On 11/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, yaw_R said:

I'd probably switch from AIO/Water cooling to plain old air cooling in that case. So much can go wrong...
Since you'd want a beefy tower cooler for 5900x I'd remove it before moving, so that it doesn't stress the mobo. It is a bit more work, but hey at least it will always be clean and have fresh paste heh.

^ not a crypto wallet

My 5900X idles in the 20s and boosts to just over 5100MHz with air and AIO.. I would say something for sure is not right with his setup.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

1 hour ago, Biohazard777 said:

I'd probably switch from AIO/Water cooling to plain old air cooling in that case. So much can go wrong...
Since you'd want a beefy tower cooler for 5900x I'd remove it before moving, so that it doesn't stress the mobo. It is a bit more work, but hey at least it will always be clean and have fresh paste heh.

I feel like having a big ass air cooler on the cpu would be a lot worse than a little AIO but I did put an air cooler on it for now since Lian Li is sending me a new one. Mine was under warranty and was a part of that big batch that were bad apparently. 

39 minutes ago, freeagent said:

My 5900X idles in the 20s and boosts to just over 5100MHz with air and AIO.. I would say something for sure is not right with his setup.

It was for sure the AIO getting clogged up with junk. I filled out the warranty info and the next day they said they would ship a new one out.