Question about RAM requirement for Macbook Air M2 for my usecase.

Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

I wouldn't get an 8 gig Apple Silicon machine. It might be fine, but there were reports of premature SSD wear early on in the M1's life cycle that seemed to point to heavy swap use. That 8 gigs is also shared between system memory and VRAM, so heavier shaders would just hit RAM even harder.

Since you can't upgrade the SSD or RAM in an Apple Silicon machine (unless your name is Colin Mistr), I'd recommend getting at least 16 gigs of RAM.

I am thinking of buying a Macbook Air M2 base model. I am not a huge multitasker and usually close all applications which are not currently in use and just reopen them later and i prefer to do it this way. I want to play Minecraft occasionally on high settings and a render distance of 12. I also want to use medium quality shaders. Is 8gb ram enough to maintain constant 60fps or will it start feeding into swap?

I wouldn't get an 8 gig Apple Silicon machine. It might be fine, but there were reports of premature SSD wear early on in the M1's life cycle that seemed to point to heavy swap use. That 8 gigs is also shared between system memory and VRAM, so heavier shaders would just hit RAM even harder.

Since you can't upgrade the SSD or RAM in an Apple Silicon machine (unless your name is Colin Mistr), I'd recommend getting at least 16 gigs of RAM.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

If you can afford it I would go with 16GB. I own a 13" M1 MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and a 16" M1 Max MacBook Pro with 32GB of RAM. I find that it's very easy to start hitting swap on the 13" MBP with 8GB of RAM, and all that does is cause SSD wear. Since neither component can be upgraded down the road I'd suggest getting 16GB to start with. It's pretty sad that Apple still offers only 8GB as the minimum option these days on such expensive computers. I completely agree with everything @Needfuldoer said above. 

Phobos: AMD Ryzen 7 2700, 16GB 3000MHz DDR4, ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 8GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070, 2GB Nvidia GeForce GT 1030, 1TB Samsung SSD 980, 450W Corsair CXM, Corsair Carbide 175R, Windows 10 Pro

Polaris: Intel Xeon E5-2697 v2, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASRock X79 Extreme6, 12GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 3080, 6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti, 1TB Crucial MX500, 750W Corsair RM750, Antec SX635, Windows 10 Pro

Pluto: Intel Core i7-2600, 32GB 1600MHz DDR3, ASUS P8Z68-V, 4GB XFX AMD Radeon RX 570, 8GB ASUS AMD Radeon RX 570, 1TB Samsung 860 EVO, 3TB Seagate BarraCuda, 750W EVGA BQ, Fractal Design Focus G, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

York (NAS): Intel Core i5-2400, 16GB 1600MHz DDR3, HP Compaq OEM, 240GB Kingston V300 (boot), 3x2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 320W HP PSU, HP Compaq 6200 Pro, TrueNAS CORE (12.0)