The Youtube test for mobile devices

Hey, I've been looking at phone reviews for an eventual upgrade, and I watch a lot of youtube on my phone. I've noticed that reviewers will provide the 3G time (though that's normally for calls) and sometimes a local video playback test, but no Youtube test.

What I'd like to see are tests of Youtube both over 3G and on Wifi as that is more intensive as it's video playback + streaming data. Maybe people could run tests on their phones and submit it with the phone model and the time it lasted on Youtube.

The conditions for the test would be as follows:

• Starting at 100% battery, and play a long video (eg one of those 10 hour ones) until phone turns off (some phones go right down to 1% and others get to 4% then shut off)
  • Do it on 3G with everything else disabled (Bluetooth, Wifi, GPS, any power saving feature etc.), and screen at full brightness
  • Do it on Wifi with everything else disabled (Bluetooth, 3G, GPS, any power saving feature etc.), and screen at full brightness

Results should be given in this format:

Phone model: <insert phone here>

Time on 3G: <insert time on 3G, hours and minutes>

Time on Wifi: <insert time on wifi hours and minutes>

Eg, for my phone it would be:

Phone model: Samsung Galaxy Nexus

Time on 3G: 1hr 40min (approx at ~1%/min)

Time on Wifi: 2hr 11min (approx at 16%/21min)

I need to run the actual test to get more accurate results but I wanted to post something (and I already knew the 3G one because I suffer with it every morning). I did the Wifi one from a 21min video just now.

I'd hate to break this to you, but doing a battery test on a data plan, particularly those that don't have unlimited data will be very costly. 

• 1 month later...

I'd hate to break this to you, but doing a battery test on a data plan, particularly those that don't have unlimited data will be very costly. 

Well, those that haven't got unlimited data (I honestly feel sorry for you - I've got a 40GB cap on my hosue broadband so I know what it's like) should either not participate, or if they can manage it do the test on a video they would like to watch. I can work out how much data it would be (at 360p since 720 would eat up too much, and I struggle with 720 anyways).

I would do it, but if I let my phone actually die (go all the way down until Android shuts the phone off automatically) then it's a pain in the ass to get it running again. It's a Motorola Atrix HD and like lots of Motorola's, it refuses to charge from a dead state unless you have a special cable, or take the phone apart to remove the battery and leave it for a few hours before reassembling so you can at least boot into Android with >0% battery in order for it to charge.

"Rawr XD"

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting, my phone's quite happy running down to 0% and shutting off. In fact, it'll happily turn on if plugged in at 0%.