Slow GPU but fast CPU vs balanced CPU-GPU combo

Hi, I鈥檓 planning to sell my old GT 1030 (I know 馃槖) and to test if it鈥檚 still working, I paired it with a Ryzen 5 5600 CPU with updated drivers and getting about 40fps on Dota 2. I know it鈥檚 a bottleneck and the performance, as expected, is not okay. I browsed some YouTube benchmarks of GT 1030 paired with a more balanced CPU and they're getting more than 60fps or better than my current test combo. This means that the GPU is bottlenecking my CPU, right? If the GT 1030 is paired with a lower CPU, it would perform better, right? I鈥檓 just wondering. 馃

4 minutes ago, JonJonz said:

Hi, I鈥檓 planning to sell my old GT 1030 (I know 馃槖) and to test if it鈥檚 still working, I paired it with a Ryzen 5 5600 CPU with updated drivers and getting about 40fps on Dota 2. I know it鈥檚 a bottleneck and the performance, as expected, is not okay. I browsed some YouTube benchmarks of GT 1030 paired with a more balanced CPU and they're getting more than 60fps or better than my current test combo. This means that the GPU is bottlenecking my CPU, right? If the GT 1030 is paired with a lower CPU, it would perform better, right? I鈥檓 just wondering. 馃

Yes the GPU is just so crappy it caps at 30FPS, so there's no way to get any more performance

With a lower enough CPU that will be even worse than the GPU (hard to find, maybe some Core Duo lol) you may end up CPU bottlenecked and then have even less FPS, but never more

Or maybe try FSR 馃槃

System : AMD R9 5900X聽/ Gigabyte聽X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18聽/聽ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /聽聽Eisbaer 280mm AIO聽(with 2xArctic P14 fans)/ 2TB Crucial T500聽 NVme +聽2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDDdrives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/聽聽Alienware AW3420DW 34"120Hz聽3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight聽mouse / Audeze Maxwell聽headphones

I would guess that the reason you aren't seeing the same performance is that you aren't testing with the same settings or with the same version of DotA 2. A slower CPU will not make a slow GPU any faster - it can only make it slower.

Also, very important, what specific model of GT 1030 is this? If it's the DDR4 version, then seeing results 30-50% slower than the GDDR5 version is totally normal and expected.

This conclusion from testing is off by so many stratosphere it borderline seems like a bait fake troll post. I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

You only have one thing to do here and it's to get rid of the 1030. If you sell you modern CPU for some ancient one to match the ancient GPU, you'll still get 40fps in Dota 2. Get something like a used 5700XT or 1080TI for $100~ and you'll be seeing some 200fps in Dota 2.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800聽- RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta聽- Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

Setup:聽Zowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro -聽Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X聽- Mackie CR5X's -聽

Current build on PCPartPicker

1 minute ago, venomtail said:

This conclusion from testing is off by so many stratosphere it borderline seems like a bait fake troll post. I'll give this the benefit of the doubt.

You only have one thing to do here and it's to get rid of the 1030. If you sell you modern CPU for some ancient one to match the ancient GPU, you'll still get 40fps in Dota 2. Get something like a used 5700XT or 1080TI for $100~ and you'll be seeing some 200fps in Dota 2.

Yeah, i feel like a scumbag selling a gt 1030 馃槖馃ぎ

10 minutes ago, YoungBlade said:

I would guess that the reason you aren't seeing the same performance is that you aren't testing with the same settings or with the same version of DotA 2. A slower CPU will not make a slow GPU any faster - it can only make it slower.

Also, very important, what specific model of GT 1030 is this? If it's the DDR4 version, then seeing results 30-50% slower than the GDDR5 version is totally normal and expected.

I don't know which version of gt 1030 they used by I remember having a better performance on my old cpu which i couldn't even remember, i just feel guilty sellng a pos card 馃ぎ it would much better if I just smelt it, cast the aluminum, make some necklace and sell it, thanks for your answer!

1 minute ago, JonJonz said:

Yeah, i feel like a scumbag selling a gt 1030 馃槖馃ぎ

They're still useful if you need a decent display output and you have no integrated graphics (practically every AM4 CPU) and for playing through a library of old Steam games the GDDR5 version is actually decent, it can play GTA V and Skyrim, for example.

Just now, Tetras said:

They're still useful if you need a decent display output and you have no integrated graphics (practically every AM4 CPU) and for playing through a library of old Steam games the GDDR5 version is actually decent, it can play GTA V and Skyrim, for example.

Yeah, it could still play dota 2 okay, no stutters with the right settings,idk but I think it's the stigma of not getting 60 fps that got me

On 10/20/2023 at 7:35 AM, JonJonz said:

Bottleneck as a term has been misused so badly that people understand the engineering fundamentals less and less.聽

In most scenarios, making any one part faster won't slow down the system as a whole BUT the benefit might not be appreciable, since you're not fixing the slow part.

One complication - when you swap CPU/board/RAM you're changing a bunch of parts. Even certain CPU swaps can have that going on (the CPU itself is made of multiple things) so while it might be faster overall, there might be occasional performance regressions.聽

Some things to consider - try reinstalling windows (matters less than it used to)
Try lowering select graphics settings.聽

For perspective, a FAST GPU will be like 10-20x faster than your current, 5 year old, low end GPU

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800