Kaspersky antivirus

Kaspersky is quite cheep but it has links to Russia so do you think it is safe to use. 

29 minutes ago, worldsoftech said:

Kaspersky is quite cheep but it has links to Russia so do you think it is safe to use. 

Windows Defender is fine.

If you insist on running a third party antivirus, the only one I recommend is Sophos. Even their free tier is unobtrusive and uses the same definitions and engine as their enterprise product.

EDIT: Sophos has a Mac client as well.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 minutes ago, worldsoftech said:

No, not one bit do i believe that. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

3 minutes ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

If if it was safe, what would be the point? Windows has it covered by default.

I don't have windows 

4 minutes ago, worldsoftech said:

I don't have windows 

Then.. what do you have? MAC security is pretty good too

If you HAVE to use an antivirus, just go with pro malwarebytes or bitdefender IMO. If you have Mac or windows, don't bother. It's not even worth your time to think about it

AMD 3600x, 16GB DDR4 3200MHz CL14, GTX 1080, and Ungodly Amounts of Storage

• 2 months later...
On 10/19/2023 at 11:49 PM, ItTakes2ToMango said:

Then.. what do you have? MAC security is pretty good too

If you HAVE to use an antivirus, just go with pro malwarebytes or bitdefender IMO. If you have Mac or windows, don't bother. It's not even worth your time to think about it

quite wrong. Most of the people here dont know a thing about anti viruses. I've hanged around cybersecurity long enough to know a lot of malware creators will always beat many anti virus and many of them dont even bother to improve their product.

Malwarebytes pro or not is worse than windows defender. The best anti virus based on detection is kaspersky. The best anti virus based on protection behaviour is bitdefender. Sophos is decent after those 2 and provides a lot of other security.

Essentially if you want to choose your anti malware, just base it around these 3. All other providers cant even compare. It doesnt matter what some products were in the past. Some AVs have done dodgy things like use your PC for bitcoin or even selling your data like avast recently. Avast was one of the best more than a decade and today is one of the worst, same for malwarebytes that provides absolutely no runtime protection even their pro version. You could argue their offline scan.

Kaspersky moved their company out of russia long ago. The incident was more about the CIA not being happy that their backdoors and zero day exploits didnt work with kaspersky so tried to shame them away. There are some companies that i avoid like the plague for many reasons one of which tends to be CIA meddling in their security which also affects their quality. Netgear is a big victim of this where they have backdoors and their quality is terrible, used to be long ago netgear hardware quality was top notch even when their firmwares left much to be desired. Ubiquiti falls under here for being very dodgy as well and less capable. I see mikrotiks as a datacenter preferred with other brands only used per customer request but no ubiquiti for example, and peope love to freak out about every exploit rather than read what the exploit actually is. For example spectre and meltdown allowed access to the data of another application though difficult if done right could get keys and passwords or other sensitive data whereas mikrotik's vulnerabilities could only happen if you leave your management exposed which is something you are supposed to block as part of initial config.

There have been proper tests done that i base my recommendation on with tests done on detection and protection. Theres no point being able to detect a malware like malwarebytes case but it fails to even protect. Granted these tests did push some brands to actually improve their product but even fancy AV like cloudstrike does a terrible job and having used it at work before, gets in my way more than actually protect.