Will a 4060ti and i5 10400f run on a 500w power supply?

CrimsonCR

I’m wanting to save up and upgrade my 1650 super to a 4060ti in November since I recently got a job, to describe my circumstances I play on a 240hz 1080p monitor which is perfectly fine for me, although the 1650 super can’t play alot of games without stuttering due to the 4gb VRAM and I’ve done research and think the 4060ti would be perfect for me. I have a 500w PSU which I’d be running it on until Christmas where I’d buy a new 750-850 power supply so that I can upgrade the PC further in other areas. So basically my question is what the title says, would the 4060ti and i5 10400f run on a 500w PSU?

Just now, CrimsonCR said:

500w PSU?

which one specifically? If it's a decent unit (C tier or above) then most likely yes

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

7 minutes ago, filpo said:

which one specifically? If it's a decent unit (C tier or above) then most likely yes

This is the PSU, this is really dumb of me I know but this photo of it was taken in 2020, and i’ve had it for a few years even before then. Yes I know, i’m really dumb for that, hence why I want to upgrade the thing at Christmas cause it’s definately served me well. I’m hoping it can take one more performance hit before it can retire 😂😂

246F7E42-E5C4-4422-87F5-3505D3D93360.jpeg

Why choose the 4060TI? Comparatively AMD has far better value for money alternatives like the 7700XT. Have you considered alternatives?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

7 minutes ago, venomtail said:

Why choose the 4060TI? Comparatively AMD has far better value for money alternatives like the 7700XT. Have you considered alternatives?

If I’m honest its mainly the power consumption as-well as the fact that the 7700XT costs about £50 more than the 4060ti, 8gb VRAM is fine for me as I really can’t see myself getting a 1440p monitor as 1080p looks completely fine to me, I’m going to be at a bottleneck as it is with my CPU and I don’t want to make that worse as well, and overall I’m so used to Nvidia at this point and just don’t really want to switch to team red at this point lmao

16 minutes ago, CrimsonCR said:

If I’m honest its mainly the power consumption as-well as the fact that the 7700XT costs about £50 more than the 4060ti, 8gb VRAM is fine for me as I really can’t see myself getting a 1440p monitor as 1080p looks completely fine to me, I’m going to be at a bottleneck as it is with my CPU and I don’t want to make that worse as well, and overall I’m so used to Nvidia at this point and just don’t really want to switch to team red at this point lmao

If you can get a 4070, it should still be fine. They're 200W max and your CPU isn't likely to pull over 100W on its own either; an extra 200W for the rest of your system is fine. Even if you account for larger power spikes or anything, 100W for a system is generally fine.

I was going to advise against the 4060Ti until I saw it was $370 on PCPP which is a fair shave under the cheapest 4070 I found at $510, I thought the 4060Ti used to be $450, but I guess prices dropped around the lower mid range this time. But I would still suggest at least a 4070 for you if you are capable of buying it. There's QUITE a few games out there that would benefit even at 1080p, and you also will have the ability to use DLAA in some games for SUPERB anti-aliasing technology if you don't need DLSS to do upscaling

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

9 minutes ago, D2ultima said:

If you can get a 4070, it should still be fine. They're 200W max and your CPU isn't likely to pull over 100W on its own either; an extra 200W for the rest of your system is fine. Even if you account for larger power spikes or anything, 100W for a system is generally fine.

I was going to advise against the 4060Ti until I saw it was $370 on PCPP which is a fair shave under the cheapest 4070 I found at $510, I thought the 4060Ti used to be $450, but I guess prices dropped around the lower mid range this time. But I would still suggest at least a 4070 for you if you are capable of buying it. There's QUITE a few games out there that would benefit even at 1080p, and you also will have the ability to use DLAA in some games for SUPERB anti-aliasing technology if you don't need DLSS to do upscaling

Yeah I can understand that, it honestly depends on how much i make until then. My aim is to have an i9 11900k by the end of my upgrade with the 4060ti or the 4070, (I know an i9 is overkill, I was looking at the i7 but the i9 is actually like £30 more expensive and better for my video editing etc.) I want to have 32gb of RAM too because of said video editing. A 4070 would prob suit the CPU I want but it all depends on how much I get paid though as I said, thanks for the advice though I really appreciate it.

22 hours ago, CrimsonCR said:

Yeah I can understand that, it honestly depends on how much i make until then. My aim is to have an i9 11900k by the end of my upgrade with the 4060ti or the 4070, (I know an i9 is overkill, I was looking at the i7 but the i9 is actually like £30 more expensive and better for my video editing etc.) I want to have 32gb of RAM too because of said video editing. A 4070 would prob suit the CPU I want but it all depends on how much I get paid though as I said, thanks for the advice though I really appreciate it.

See in your case I would just outright consider selling your existing system wholesale, then. A 14600K or 14700K will probably be out by the time you're ready to upgrade and a decent board wouldn't be too expensive. E-cores help LOADS when you are doing something intensive yet still using the PC otherwise, so it'll help you with your editing (am verbatim quoting a friend here who uses those kinds of programs as well as Maya and the like, I haven't used those programs recently). New DDR5 RAM is very cheap too, I have seen 32GB 6400MHz cl32 go for $117 the other day.

In short i think you probably would just benefit a lot more from a system overhaul even if it takes you a while longer; maybe buy the GPU first as it will directly benefit you then change out the whole system later? You could sell your old system, keep it as backup hardware, or simply use it as a local server for hosting files.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

1 hour ago, D2ultima said:

See in your case I would just outright consider selling your existing system wholesale, then. A 14600K or 14700K will probably be out by the time you're ready to upgrade and a decent board wouldn't be too expensive. E-cores help LOADS when you are doing something intensive yet still using the PC otherwise, so it'll help you with your editing (am verbatim quoting a friend here who uses those kinds of programs as well as Maya and the like, I haven't used those programs recently). New DDR5 RAM is very cheap too, I have seen 32GB 6400MHz cl32 go for $117 the other day.

In short i think you probably would just benefit a lot more from a system overhaul even if it takes you a while longer; maybe buy the GPU first as it will directly benefit you then change out the whole system later? You could sell your old system, keep it as backup hardware, or simply use it as a local server for hosting files.

I could possibly, editing wise its generally nothing too intensive as its only for my college (UK college is 16-18) so it’s not like i’m doing really long hardcore 4k editing if that makes any sense. I’m considering an RX 7700XT instead of the 4060ti as I’ve had tons of people tell me to buy that instead, I’m just a bit cautious of the wattage and not sure wether it will run etc. I don’t know how well a 7700XT will handle 1080p either as there aren’t many benchmarks on YouTube to go off. Opinions? 

8 hours ago, CrimsonCR said:

I could possibly, editing wise its generally nothing too intensive as its only for my college (UK college is 16-18) so it’s not like i’m doing really long hardcore 4k editing if that makes any sense. I’m considering an RX 7700XT instead of the 4060ti as I’ve had tons of people tell me to buy that instead, I’m just a bit cautious of the wattage and not sure wether it will run etc. I don’t know how well a 7700XT will handle 1080p either as there aren’t many benchmarks on YouTube to go off. Opinions? 

Mmm my opinion in general is that a 4070 is the card you want, tbh. 7700XT is not exactly a bad card and it is worlds ahead of a 4060Ti, and actually it's surprisingly cheap on pc part picker at $430 for the Sapphire Pulse variant, but I also value DLSS, NVENC and the ease of using RT a lot, so my thoughts gravitate toward a 4070 which you can find for $520 on pc part picker (plus it's quite a bit stronger without RT).

In the end it's up to you, buy my true suggestion is getting a decent GPU right now and upgrading the rest of the system later. You will thank yourself for it especially since you have a 240Hz monitor.

As for how well a 7700XT handles games, HERE is an excellent video, and HERE is a back up. The 6800XT isn't an option we're recommending to you right now though; it's just for you to see what the 7700XT does being tested in more games.

You can translate the 1440p tests to 1080p testing by ROUGHLY adding 30% more frames give or take, it's not perfect, but if you can't find any 1080p testing but you can find 1440p, then go with that.