Looking to upgrade CPU/MOBO/RAM

Rorgash
Go to solution Solved by FPS_Lego,

You can go for the Ryzen 7 7800x3D, good price, good workstation performance, good gaming. It can pretty much do anything. For the motherboard you can go for the B650 from MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS

Budget (including currency): 10,000SEK or around 1000$, can go higher for good reasons

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Gaming with a focus on strategy and management games, which will include the new cities skylines.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): My gpu is a 3080, and i dont need anything else for the system.

My cpu is running behind, currently an old 6700k, so for an upgrade of that i will need to upgrade the motherboard, which to not hamper me in the future kinda makes me need to upgrade it to DDR5 so i need to upgrade my RAM as well. Reason for asking here is that i know NOTHING about AMD their offerings and find their naming confusing as hell so no idea what to even look at there and when it comes to cpu i dont really feel the need for the newest stuff as my 6700k has lasted me this long(top of the line when i bought it).

Dont care if its AMD or Intel just whats good for my use case and price to performance, Thanks for the help

CPU: ?

Mobo:(as long as i know the socket i can find one, unless someone has a recommendation)

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

What resolution?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

You can go for the Ryzen 7 7800x3D, good price, good workstation performance, good gaming. It can pretty much do anything. For the motherboard you can go for the B650 from MSI, Gigabyte or ASUS

51 minutes ago, FPS_Lego said:

@Rorgash If thats too pricey, a 5800X3D can also do quite a bit of work

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3

55 minutes ago, TatamiMatt said:

yep that can also work.

3 hours ago, venomtail said:

What resolution?

1440p for gaming and 4k as secondary

3 hours ago, FPS_Lego said:

2 hours ago, TatamiMatt said:

ok, thanks price difference for me here for some reason was only like 100$ so going with the higher end cpu 🙂 i think unless i find some deal somewhere

1 minute ago, Rorgash said:

ok, thanks price difference for me here for some reason was only like 100$ so going with the higher end cpu 🙂 i think unless i find some deal somewhere

That was my thought process too, I recently got a 7800X3D as it was only £368, which was pretty much perfectly within my budget and the best value to performance i found

System specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D [-30 PBO all core]

GPU: Sapphire AMD Radeon RX 7800 XT NITRO+ [1050mV, 2.8GHz core, 2.6Ghz mem]

Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO RGB 32GB 6000MHz CL32 DDR5

Storage: 2TB SN850X, 1TB SN850 w/ heatsink, 500GB P5 Plus (OS Storage)

Case: 5000D AIRFLOW

Cooler: Thermalright Frost Commander 140

PSU: Corsair RM850e

PCPartPicker List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/QYLBh3