Dad having issues with pc in Sea of Thieves

Shooterdude34

Hello all,

so my dad has been having an issue with his pc while playing sea of thieves. After maybe 45 min to 1.5 hr of gaming, his pc will entirely shut off. No BSOD or anything, just powers off. 

he can play many other games, such as Tiny Tinas Wonderlands, Deep Rock Galactic, as well as many VR games. We have never had any issues in other games, only SoT.

All drivers are up to date, windows and SoT have been freshly reinstalled a few times. 

He is running

- I7 8700k

- 16 gb 3000mt/s ram

- asus tuf gaming z370-plus gaming

- MSI RTX 3080

- Unknown 800w PSU

This pc was a prebuilt that we have swapped the ram, gpu, and an m.2. my original thought is the psu, though its confusing that SoT ONLY would be tripping it and something like Wonderlands doesnt. 

try upgrading graphics drivers and or resting drivers by Win + Ctrl + Shift + B to reset. It could also be that the psu is of poor quality as with many prebuilds. 

Intel Core i7 11700F + EVGA FTW3 ULTRA GAMING RTX 3070 OC + 32GB DDR4 3000Mhz RAM + ASROCK Z590 Steel Legend WIFI 6E + Razer Hanbo 360mm AIO + Corsair RM850X + Deepcool CH510 Case + Acer Nitro XV271 280hz Gaming Monitor 

3 hours ago, jaslion said:

Find out the psu model. 800w is either something ancient or crap 2 things that are a disaster with a 3080

i looked at it previously and it was some OEM chinese brand, not a main stream one. i cant remember what it was. if i remember correctly it also didnt have enough 8 pins, only 2 with a pigtail. we found an adapter that could join 2 pigtails to one 8 pin so we used that "temporarily" and have apparently forgotten about it lol. hasnt presented an issue till now i guess

8 hours ago, Shooterdude34 said:

i looked at it previously and it was some OEM chinese brand, not a main stream one. i cant remember what it was. if i remember correctly it also didnt have enough 8 pins, only 2 with a pigtail. we found an adapter that could join 2 pigtails to one 8 pin so we used that "temporarily" and have apparently forgotten about it lol. hasnt presented an issue till now i guess

Yeah so that is why. That psu is not an 800w but faking it and a danger to your pc.

Get like a corsair rm850 or something good

Basically you've been extremely lucky here and the fact its gracefully going and not just going out in a blaze of glory killing itself and other stuff 😛

So take its warning and do NOT play till replacement or its going to become a very expensive replacement