Jittery and choppy animation, only in some apps on windows 10.

ivanrcks95
Go to solution Solved by ivanrcks95,
53 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Yeah from what you tell, it does sound like some sort of driver issue. Maybe backup your stuff and make a clean install

After turning the display down to 60hz, and then back up to 144hz in windows display settings, it seems to be smooth again with no jitters or choppy animations. Seems like the settings didnt save after a restart or something? Will monitor it over the next few days to see if it happens again.

I recently upgraded to a new monitor. My set up before was 2 24inch 1080p 144hz displays, didnt have any issues with them. The new monitor is just a single setup, 1440p 144hz display. Everything was all good yesterday when I got the monitor, but today morning I am getting weird choppy animations with certain apps, not with all. For example, my zoom client app is very jittery when I move around the window, as it VLC. But regular windows explorer is smooth. The windows snipping tool animation is also ultra jittery.

Ive tried turning on an off variable refresh rate, as it is a g-sync monitor, as well as changing the refresh rate, none of it has helped. Curious to know if anyone else had any ideas.

R7 5800X3D | XFX Merc 6900 XT Limited Black | 32gb 3200mhz CL16

45 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

I recently upgraded to a new monitor. My set up before was 2 24inch 1080p 144hz displays, didnt have any issues with them. The new monitor is just a single setup, 1440p 144hz display. Everything was all good yesterday when I got the monitor, but today morning I am getting weird choppy animations with certain apps, not with all. For example, my zoom client app is very jittery when I move around the window, as it VLC. But regular windows explorer is smooth. The windows snipping tool animation is also ultra jittery.

Ive tried turning on an off variable refresh rate, as it is a g-sync monitor, as well as changing the refresh rate, none of it has helped. Curious to know if anyone else had any ideas.

Hmm thats interesting. I have some issues with Twitch being pretty choppy. After I've disabled hardware acceleration in chrome, everything runs smooth. Haven't tried Zoom on my home machine, but if you go to settings -> video -> advanced, then you can disable hardware acceleration:

image.png.9e1c8658ea33afcb9a203e9ce9b603e8.png

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

3 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

Hmm thats interesting. I have some issues with Twitch being pretty choppy. After I've disabled hardware acceleration in chrome, everything runs smooth. Haven't tried Zoom on my home machine, but if you go to settings -> video -> advanced, then you can disable hardware acceleration:

image.png.9e1c8658ea33afcb9a203e9ce9b603e8.png

Ill try this for the zoom app thanks, but other apps are affected as well, so I suspect it is something to do with windows 10 itself

31 minutes ago, ivanrcks95 said:

Ill try this for the zoom app thanks, but other apps are affected as well, so I suspect it is something to do with windows 10 itself

Yeah from what you tell, it does sound like some sort of driver issue. Maybe backup your stuff and make a clean install

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

53 minutes ago, DoctorNick said:

After turning the display down to 60hz, and then back up to 144hz in windows display settings, it seems to be smooth again with no jitters or choppy animations. Seems like the settings didnt save after a restart or something? Will monitor it over the next few days to see if it happens again.