Ryzen 9 5900X odd cooling behaviour, would like some input.

adm0n

Hi,

I've got a Ryzen 9 5900X and using an Noctua NH-U14S to cool it. I was expecting it to work flawless, however it idles at around 50C and when I hit it with a load, it quickly jumps into the 70 within seconds and quickly climbs into the mid to high 80's where it settles.

While I know that those temperatures are perfectly fine for the CPU, I'd assume it would run cooler. Those high temps are also affecting the single core boost speeds.

I've already reseated the cooler and reapplied thermal compound 2 times, so I like to think, that it isn't user error. And just for completness sake, I've enabled PBO with negative offsets for each core, but the issue was also present with the default settings.

I had an old intel chip, that was basically uncoolable. I assume, that the IHS lost its contact to the die, so it would idle at 80C and only really function severely down clocked. Is it possible that I have a similar situation at hand or is this normal behavior for this CPU with this cooler?

Edit:

I set the fan speed manually, to ramp from ~28% to ~72% from 50 to 90 degrees (because of the high idle temp).

Is ur cpu thermal throttling? especially in idle ? if so, just rma the cpu. Not worth ur time investigating on a new product. 

Just for troubleshooting, try reinstalling ur os 

If it isnt thermal throttling it looks fine to me.

Only thing i can suggest is an off set mount on the cooler as the CCDS/cpu chips are In the south of of IHS (from Ryzen label)

17 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

If it isnt thermal throttling it looks fine to me.

Only thing i can suggest is an off set mount on the cooler as the CCDS/cpu chips are In the south of of IHS (from Ryzen label)

If I hit it with an sustained load, it will eventually reach 90C and then throttle. I could set the throttle temperature higher or let the fans run louder, but I kinda expect the cooler to be able to cool the chip decently well without getting too loud.

Are the offset mounds that worth it on zen 3 chips? I thought they only make a real difference on zen 4 chips?

26 minutes ago, nervenjere said:

Is ur cpu thermal throttling? especially in idle ? if so, just rma the cpu. Not worth ur time investigating on a new product. 

Just for troubleshooting, try reinstalling ur os 

It isn't directly throttling under normal use, but I am loosing out on some opportunistic boosting performance. 

I wanted to mainly know if this is a reason for an RMA or if this is normal behavior.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/19.html

https://noctua.at/en/nh-u14s/specification

I would say the cooler is slightly underwheling for the cpu wattage

Noctua say 167watts is the cooling capacity of the U14s and tech powerup says the chip can pull between 181 - 350 watts on stress tests with no OC

__

I dont understand Noctuas NSPR rating but the cooler is one of their top performing ones so im probably wrong

27 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

the chip can pull between 181 - 350 watts on stress tests with no OC

I think my PC would melt if that was the case. Those are full system loads as stated on their website.

At least for the TR4 version of the cooler, it can just about handle cooling a 300W load at around 60C delta (so about 85C for me). But my chip should only draw around ~140W. What is more annoying, is how far it jumps from 50C to mid 70C. It doesn't heat up the heatsink with it, but jumps straight to those temperatures.

Comparing that to a GPU or the CPU I had before hand, they slowly increased in temperature over time. But other people seem to report similar behavior, so I guess it is normal. Thanks for the help anyway.

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

If I hit it with an sustained load, it will eventually reach 90C and then throttle.

Could be a few things, but I am looking at your case and cooling being insufficient for that cooler. The cooler itself is weak, or a combination of those and other factors.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14

19 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Could be a few things, but I am looking at your case and cooling being insufficient for that cooler. The cooler itself is weak, or a combination of those and other factors.

I have the fractal torrent compact, with both 180mm front fans and a 120mm exhaust fan. I also tried to mount a second Noctua fan to the cooler, since but that didn't really do much.

The cooler shouldn't be weak, right?

4 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I have the fractal torrent compact, with both 180mm front fans and a 120mm exhaust fan. I also tried to mount a second Noctua fan to the cooler, since but that didn't really do much.

The cooler shouldn't be weak, right?

I am running the same case and CPU, I am running my 5900X at 245/165/190 +200 -25 All Core, and I idle between 28-31c I still load high, but I am pushing waay more performance than a stock 5900X. OTOH there is a guy at the forum I Mod at that is running his 127K at 5GHz flat. I think AMD 7nm might be harder to cool than Intel, but I dont have a modern Intel CPU yet so I could be full of shit.

6 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I am running the same case and CPU, I am running my 5900X at 245/165/190 +200 -25 All Core, and I idle between 28-31c I still load high, but I am pushing waay more performance than a stock 5900X. OTOH there is a guy at the forum I Mod at that is running his 127K at 5GHz flat. I think AMD 7nm might be harder to cool than Intel, but I dont have a modern Intel CPU yet so I could be full of shit.

I got stock settings, which are way less than yours and -15 on all but the two fastest cores which run on -10. Had weird behavior and some crashing with -25 on all.

What cooler are you using, because from what you are saying, my CPU sounds very weird. But there are a lot of other people saying they are running them with similar idle/load temps.

32 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I got stock settings, which are way less than yours and -15 on all but the two fastest cores which run on -10. Had weird behavior and some crashing with -25 on all.

What cooler are you using, because from what you are saying, my CPU sounds very weird. But there are a lot of other people saying they are running them with similar idle/load temps.

I am using FC140. But be careful with the curve, you need to back it with higher power settings to get it to push harder 🙂

Edit: 

This is my setup atm:

IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

I am using FC140. But be careful with the curve, you need to back it with higher power settings to get it to push harder

I'm actually fine with the speed, I'd rather it uses less power.

Spoiler

11 minutes ago, freeagent said:

IMG_1015.jpeg

IMG_1014.jpeg

Maybe I should also turn on my RGB, maybe that'll fix my problems 😄 Nice setup though!

6 minutes ago, adm0n said:

I'm actually fine with the speed, I'd rather it uses less power.

Reveal hidden contents

Maybe I should also turn on my RGB, maybe that'll fix my problems 😄 Nice setup though!

RGB fixes everything

It adds 5fps and sheds 3c off the top 😜

Did you remove the plastic on the cold plate of the U12S? I'm really surprised that, even with a second fan, you're not able to cool it. What fan did you use? Are you undervolting?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

2 hours ago, RevGAM said:

Did you remove the plastic on the cold plate of the U12S? I'm really surprised that, even with a second fan, you're not able to cool it. What fan did you use? Are you undervolting?

Yes I did. Otherwise I could hardly cool the chip at all. I had a second Noctua fan left over, so now there's two of them on there.

I've enabled PBO with -15 on almost all cores. So I guess slightly. I'm also confused as to why it isn't cooling as well. But other people had similar experiences ... So I guess some of these chips are just hard to cool?

15 minutes ago, adm0n said:

Yes I did. Otherwise I could hardly cool the chip at all. I had a second Noctua fan left over, so now there's two of them on there.

I've enabled PBO with -15 on almost all cores. So I guess slightly. I'm also confused as to why it isn't cooling as well. But other people had similar experiences ... So I guess some of these chips are just hard to cool?

Mostly, people use 2 tower coolers on those chips. I would suggest you get one since that U12S isn't up to the task. Lots of great options: D15, PA120/SE, PS120/SE, FC140, AK620,  AG620,  DRP4, etc. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

6 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

U12S

It is a U14S and it should be up for the task from all I can gather.

50 minutes ago, adm0n said:

So I guess some of these chips are just hard to cool?

Not at all, Noctua is over hyped.

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

It is a U14S and it should be up for the task from all I can gather.

Oops. Have you looked for physical defects of the CPU and socket?

3 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

Oops. Have you looked for physical defects of the CPU and socket?

Didn't see any obvious physical defects on the CPU. With socket do you mean the actual socket or just the mounting bracket? Both seemed fine to me though. Everything fits snugly together.

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

Didn't see any obvious physical defects on the CPU. With socket do you mean the actual socket or just the mounting bracket? Both seemed fine to me though. Everything fits snugly together.

The socket, specifically the pins. 

11 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

The socket, specifically the pins. 

The 5900X is a PGA chip, so the pins are on the CPU not the socket. But what would a bend pin have to do with the temperature the chip is running at?

7nm is hard to cool.

In my opinion, coolers that are based on older designs are not ideal for it. Yes they will work, but as many people have found out, they don't work well.

14 minutes ago, freeagent said:

7nm is hard to cool.

In my opinion, coolers that are based on older designs are not ideal for it. Yes they will work, but as many people have found out, they don't work well.

The cooler is fine (not saying anything about the price/performance). Here would be an example of it working -> https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-ryzen-9-5900x/20.html

Even though they seemed to be a bit confused about which cooler they actually used ._.