No Power after upgrading CPU

Hi Folks,

I am having issues with my computer no longer appearing to no longer attempt powering on at all, from booting to not posting, varying degrees of lights coming on, to now nothing.

My setup is ...

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro

Ryzen 5 3600

Zotac 3060ti

2 sticks of G. Skills DDR3 3600 RAM

EVGA 750G2 Supernova modular psu

NZXT h210 mini itx case, and their fans and kraken aio cooler.

This morning I took out my R5 3600, and put in a brand new R7 5800X3D. I had some disposable money, and my case has stopped me from making meaningful GPU upgrades. So I got a new CPU.

After installing, I loaded up a couple of different games, and had no problem. Noticable improvements in BG3 and Starfield. I left Starfield running, and went to the restroom. Came back, and everything was off, except the mobo LEDs. 

I tried starting it back up with the case power switch, and got nothing. So flipped the psu switch, off and on and tried again. Pressed the case power switch, and only got lights to the RAM sticks, no post, no fans turning on, nothing else.

So I turned off the computer, took out a RAM stick, and tried again, and everything turned on, but never posted, just sat there until I gave up and turned it back off from the PSU.

Several attempts of the same and it would no longer even power on the fans, or AIO, or PSU. So I unplugged the PSU, and replaced with 5800X3D with the old 3600. Still no power anywhere. 

I took things apart, thinking it could have fried the PSU, 750W should be plenty but it is old. I tried the paper clip trick, and the fan started no problem. I plugged everything back into the PSU and mobo, and tried to jump the mobo power switch pins, and got nothing.

This is leading me to think the issue is my mobo. I get no power delivery from the motherboard, but the PSU seems to work fine without it. Removing RAM, and GPU has not changed behavior since the initial couple attempts to boot. I don't know how it would have died from running a pretty demanding game to this, but can't think of much else. Does anyone have any thoughts or troubleshooting I could do?

Thanks!

19 minutes ago, Desoulate said:

Hi Folks,

I am having issues with my computer no longer appearing to no longer attempt powering on at all, from booting to not posting, varying degrees of lights coming on, to now nothing.

My setup is ...

Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro

Ryzen 5 3600

Zotac 3060ti

2 sticks of G. Skills DDR3 3600 RAM

EVGA 750G2 Supernova modular psu

NZXT h210 mini itx case, and their fans and kraken aio cooler.

This morning I took out my R5 3600, and put in a brand new R7 5800X3D. I had some disposable money, and my case has stopped me from making meaningful GPU upgrades. So I got a new CPU.

After installing, I loaded up a couple of different games, and had no problem. Noticable improvements in BG3 and Starfield. I left Starfield running, and went to the restroom. Came back, and everything was off, except the mobo LEDs. 

I tried starting it back up with the case power switch, and got nothing. So flipped the psu switch, off and on and tried again. Pressed the case power switch, and only got lights to the RAM sticks, no post, no fans turning on, nothing else.

So I turned off the computer, took out a RAM stick, and tried again, and everything turned on, but never posted, just sat there until I gave up and turned it back off from the PSU.

Several attempts of the same and it would no longer even power on the fans, or AIO, or PSU. So I unplugged the PSU, and replaced with 5800X3D with the old 3600. Still no power anywhere. 

I took things apart, thinking it could have fried the PSU, 750W should be plenty but it is old. I tried the paper clip trick, and the fan started no problem. I plugged everything back into the PSU and mobo, and tried to jump the mobo power switch pins, and got nothing.

This is leading me to think the issue is my mobo. I get no power delivery from the motherboard, but the PSU seems to work fine without it. Removing RAM, and GPU has not changed behavior since the initial couple attempts to boot. I don't know how it would have died from running a pretty demanding game to this, but can't think of much else. Does anyone have any thoughts or troubleshooting I could do?

Thanks!

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and trying again?

5 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery for 5 minutes and trying again?

I've not tried removing the CMOS battery, but I have shorted the CMOS pins. I will consult the manual for the battery and try again.

4 minutes ago, Desoulate said:

I've not tried removing the CMOS battery, but I have shorted the CMOS pins. I will consult the manual for the battery and try again.

Did you upgrade your BIOS or at least check the version ? 

System : AMD R9  7950X3D CPU/ Asus ROG STRIX X670E-E board/ 2x32GB G-Skill Trident Z Neo 6000CL30 RAM ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 cooler (with 2xArctic P12 Max fans) /  2TB WD SN850 NVme + 2TB Crucial T500  NVme  + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD / Corsair RM850x PSU

Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

6 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Did you upgrade your BIOS or at least check the version ? 

Yes! Forgot to mention, old bios would not support the 5800X3D. Updated it yesterday while still using the 3600.

probably the mobo.

same thing happened to me last month after upgrade my cpu, it doesn't even turning on anymore but the mobo rbg lights was on, i did all the aid from yt like cmos and ram cleaning nothing works and decided to put my old cpu back same thing replacing mobo was the fix for me, try using another mobo

16 minutes ago, Zander DG said:

probably the mobo.

same thing happened to me last month after upgrade my cpu, it doesn't even turning on anymore but the mobo rbg lights was on, i did all the aid from yt like cmos and ram cleaning nothing works and decided to put my old cpu back same thing replacing mobo was the fix for me, try using another mobo

I ordered one already, just in case. So I'll try that out when it gets delivered.

Update: new motherboard is exhibiting the same issues. Using the same front panel connector / shorting power switch pins gives nothing.

Can the PSU be working enough to turn on the fan with the paper clip test, but not enough to power the system?

9 hours ago, Desoulate said:

Can the PSU be working enough to turn on the fan with the paper clip test, but not enough to power the system?

Long shot, but maybe something else connected to the PSU is shorting out? Like the GPU power cables or some SATA device? Tried connecting only the mobo, nothing else?

Do you have an older CPU (e.g. the 3600) to test whether the system with new Mobo will turn on without anything connected (no GPU etc.)?