MSI B650 Tomahawk - CPU & DRAM Debug lights

MarcusAshul

Issue: Go to startup the good ol PC, wait a few minutes to no avail, the MOBO shows the CPU and DRAM debug lights (red & amber). Nothing posts, although it was running just fine the night before.

Steps performed already:

1. Turning it off and on again, while disconnecting the PSU main plug once off.

2. Reseated the RAM

3. Placed RAM in different slots, but have returned to A2&B2 slots.

4. Cleared the CMOS - This did allow the PC to startup and everything is back to normal now(ish, hang on a second)

Extra Steps

1. After getting the PC to start back up, I go into my BIOS to enable AMD's EXPO, being the only the thing I touch in there, and then save and restart, and the computer boots up just fine. But when I go to turn it off or put in sleep mode, then turn it back on again the next day, I get hit with those lights again, forcing me to clear the CMOS again to get it to post.

Parts:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vmRwh3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 360 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (Purchased For $190.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 480 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  ($789.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1695.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-11 11:50 EDT-0400

Anything is helpful, thanks

1 minute ago, MarcusAshul said:

Turning it off and on again

truly one of the most godly tech tips of all time

Turning it off and on again, while disconnecting the PSU main plug once off.

2. Reseated the RAM

4. Cleared the CMOS - This did allow the PC to startup and everything is back to normal now(ish, hang on a second)

try reseating your cpu too (also checking if any pins in the mobo are bent)

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Issue: Go to startup the good ol PC, wait a few minutes to no avail, the MOBO shows the CPU and DRAM debug lights (red & amber). Nothing posts, although it was running just fine the night before.

Steps performed already:

1. Turning it off and on again, while disconnecting the PSU main plug once off.

2. Reseated the RAM

Extra Steps

1. After getting the PC to start back up, I go into my BIOS to enable AMD's EXPO, being the only the thing I touch in there, and then save and restart, and the computer boots up just fine. But when I go to turn it off or put in sleep mode, then turn it back on again the next day, I get hit with those lights again, forcing me to clear the CMOS again to get it to post.

Parts:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vmRwh3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 7600X 4.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($269.00 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 360 Liquid CPU Cooler  ($119.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (Purchased For $190.00) 
Memory: G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($96.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 480 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $0.00) 
Video Card: XFX Speedster MERC 310 Black Edition Radeon RX 7900 XT 20 GB Video Card  ($789.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Lian Li LANCOOL 216 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $1695.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-11 11:50 EDT-0400

Anything is helpful, thanks

Easy solution, don't use sleep mode. In general sleep, hibernation and standby are bad for system performance anyways. You probably either have an issue with your motherboard and sleeping or some setting BIOS you need for it to work or it just doesn't because MS broke the feature on your board. 

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Easy solution, don't use sleep mode. In general sleep, hibernation and standby are bad for system performance anyways. You probably either have an issue with your motherboard and sleeping or some setting BIOS you need for it to work or it just doesn't because MS broke the feature on your board. 

Last night I just did a normal system shut down, and then went to turn it back on this morning, only to be greeted by those same lights and having to clear the cmos again. So while that may also be true, that can't be my main problem.

I'm starting to think it's just gotta be something to do with the bios not liking EXPO for whatever reason, which blows.

8 minutes ago, filpo said:

try reseating your cpu too (also checking if any pins in the mobo are bent)

I'm trying to avoid doing this if possible, mainly because I just don't have any extra thermal paste laying around, but if it comes down to it, I will.

I'm trying to avoid doing this if possible, mainly because I just don't have any extra thermal paste laying around, but if it comes down to it, I will.

You don't have to repaste if you do a reseat. If you do it correctly you won't have to repaste

Current parts list

44 minutes ago, filpo said:

You don't have to repaste if you do a reseat. If you do it correctly you won't have to repaste

Update, no pins were bent, and it did still boot up just fine, but I did not try re-enabling EXPO to see if it would recreate the problem yet. Would expo be a legitimate cause for concern with this?

Would expo be a legitimate cause for concern with this?

it could since it's like XMP (memory 'overclocking') but like 'auto' oc

Current parts list

Is your BIOS up to date with the latest release? I have seen posts from a few people that had weird memory issues creep up, and an update to the latest motherboard BIOS with newer AMD AGESA updates fixed problems.

1 minute ago, sabgog said:

Is your BIOS up to date with the latest release? I have seen posts from a few people that had weird memory issues creep up, and an update to the latest motherboard BIOS with newer AMD AGESA updates fixed problems.

Yep, I only put this build together this past friday, so everything should be up to date. BIOS was one of the first things I did

On a sidenote, I did, find something about enabling Memory Context Restore, and how that fixed a similar issue for others. I went ahead and did that, and so far so good, I'll just to wait and see if it's actually stable or not. If so, I'll mark this solved in a few days I suppose

22 hours ago, MarcusAshul said:

On a sidenote, I did, find something about enabling Memory Context Restore, and how that fixed a similar issue for others. I went ahead and did that, and so far so good, I'll just to wait and see if it's actually stable or not. If so, I'll mark this solved in a few days I suppose

Update on this. It didn't work.

Shut the PC down last night after cranking some hours into Starfield, and then went to turn it on again today, only to be met with a very quick BSOD and restart in which I couldn't read the STOP code in time, it then booted up and I was able to start chrome, and then be met with another BSOD that read MEMORY_MANAGEMENT.

Had to force a restart cause it wasn't auto-restarting on its own. Tried to get into BIOS to disable EXPO, only for it crash there as well, forcing another restart and then clearing the CMOS yet again.

My mind is thinking it could be any of the below things.

1. Bad Memory that won't actually run at 6000 like it says it should or actually a faulty stick

2. Bad MOBO that won't actually run

3. I lost the lottery miserably