How do you schedule patches for home windows and linux pc's, etc...

castlev

At home I have my proxmox server (with a bunch of linux vm's and containers), 2 linux laptops, a linux desktop, a windows 11 desktop, home router, etc...

Because I wireguard home to connect to my network drive, I don't want to fall behind on security updates. My plan has been to log into everything the week of Patch Teusday, and run the gamut.

However I know that linux is not included in Patch Tuesday, it just makes it easy for me to know "hey it's update week, get 'er done."

I want to move the windows 11 desktop updates to the day before patch Tuesday and keeping 30 days behind, because I was bitten by that GPU bug that came out with one of the KB updates, which took Microsoft more than a month to solve. It ruined my GTAV experience. I figured 30 days is enough time to see if anything pops up in the news about the last batch of updates blowing up systems. I do worry that if I'm 30 days behind security updates, it could cause problems though.

I guess this is a 2 part question for everyone:

1) Can Windows 11 security updates be applied separately from general updates? I don't want to compromise my network over the worry that I might break a game by updating.

2) Is there a better time to run ubuntu based distro updates than the week of patch Tuesday?

Would love to hear everyone's strategy.

I only update my linux devices when I reboot them, which is something really infrequent (may happen in a week, may go for an entire month). I should mention that I rarely ever update my router (also runs linux). For the past year I may have updated it only once, I may do it again once I find the courage to rebuild its image to add tailscale to it.

For my Mac I also just allow software updates during weekends once a month or so (it keeps nagging about the update, so it's hard to miss).

For my android phone I update whenever the update window pops up and I'm not using it.

I have no Windows devices so I can't really give an opinion on that.

FX6300 @ 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 R2 | Hyper 212x | 3x 8GB + 1x 4GB @ 1600MHz | Gigabyte 2060 Super | Corsair CX650M | LG 43UK6520PSA
ASUS X550LN | i5 4210u | 12GB
Lenovo N23 Yoga

Security newsletters/RSS for updates to check weekly?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂