Can I Use Cooler Master ML240L V2 for R9 5900X

_GLADIATOR
Go to solution Solved by filpo,
6 minutes ago, _GLADIATOR said:

I'm planning on upgrading my CPU with r9 5900x, so I'm just wandering if my existing cooler (CM ML240L V2) will be enough or not?

also if its not enough and i do need to upgrade cooler then pls suggest me an air cooler compatible with MSI MAG B550M MORTAR and NZXT H510 case. 

Thanks in advance...

Try it with a stress test (like cinebench r23) and if it overheats then get something like the arctic liquid freezer ii 280

It should be enough but it's not certain

I'm planning on upgrading my CPU with r9 5900x, so I'm just wandering if my existing cooler (CM ML240L V2) will be enough or not?

also if its not enough and i do need to upgrade cooler then pls suggest me an air cooler compatible with MSI MAG B550M MORTAR and NZXT H510 case. 

Thanks in advance...

6 minutes ago, _GLADIATOR said:

Thanks in advance...

Try it with a stress test (like cinebench r23) and if it overheats then get something like the arctic liquid freezer ii 280

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

Source https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/coolers/cpu-liquid-coolers/masterliquid-ml240l-v2-rgb/

TDP     180 W

Source https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-9-5900x

Default TDP 105W

Source https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/l9tsa8/5900x_peak_power_draw_which_is_it/?rdt=54741

According to this post, 5900X can draw up to 200W of TDP while pushed to the limit.

So.

With a air cooler, CPU gets hotter more rapidly, because the thermal mass is largely lower (the amount of mass that can become really hot due to processor temperature), but when the CPU stops heating, it's way faster to cool itself down.

With liquid cooler, CPU gets hotter slowly, because the whole mass of liquid need to raise temperature above 95/98° C before stopping to "ingest" temperature, but it's way slower going back to idle temperature, because the same mass needs time to been cool down. Thermal mass anyway smothen in more effective way temperature spikes.

So.

Mostly depends on your use.

If you're only gonna game for 3-4 hours, without overclocking, consider an healthy 15-20 minutes of idle before shutting down the PC... and the AIO you're using might be perfectly fine.

If you're user case is crank the CPU at fastest thermically possible power (video rendering/encoding, scientific calculation, database transformation, I don't know) I think that a dual tower/dual fan setup with increased airflow of your case might be a better idea.

It's a personal and explained opinion. Many others won't think the same, and if they're available to explain me why... I'll be glad to read and educate myself better.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

On 9/9/2023 at 1:10 AM, mMontana said:

With liquid cooler, CPU gets hotter slowly, because the whole mass of liquid need to raise temperature above 95/98° C before stopping to "ingest" temperature, but it's way slower going back

Mostly depends on your use.

If you're only gonna game for 3-4 hours, without overclocking, consider an healthy 15-20 minutes of idle before shutting down the PC... 

The liquid will never get that hot. The system would overheat and shutdown long before then. The liquid temp has to be much cooler than the CPU for effective cooling and should usually be below 40c.

There's no need to wait for the system to cool down before shutting down. The machine stops drawing power and producing significant heat as soon as it's shut down.

@_GLADIATOR It should be plenty for cooling.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 9/9/2023 at 1:23 PM, filpo said:

thanks for ur response,

I ran cinebench r23 for like 40 - 45 mins and the max temps i got was 77 °C is it good enough?

1 hour ago, _GLADIATOR said:

thanks for ur response,

I ran cinebench r23 for like 40 - 45 mins and the max temps i got was 77 °C is it good enough?

ye it's good

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

2 hours ago, _GLADIATOR said:

thanks for ur response,

Very 👍 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂