PlayStation4 Controller

Recently picked up a PS4 controller on Amazon after I got tired of waiting on Microsoft to release a driver for the Xbox One controller.

For reference, I have larger than average hands and use a Mionix Naos 3200 mouse. I've also used a Func MS-3, and a Corsair M60.

Let me start by describing the feel of it. It's very comfortable to hold. It has a relaxed feel to it. Sony did an outstanding job designing the ergonomics on this. The top portion of the controller is a smooth plastic. A glossy finish surrounds the D-pad and the face buttons which unfortunately makes it very easy to leave fingerprints behind. The bottom portion is a finely textured plastic. It keeps to the traditional PlayStation button layout. The only real changes are the touchpad (which works on PC! ...Mostly) that you can also press as a button, and the Option/Share (Start/Select) buttons have been moved further to the sides and the "Home" button has been moved between the control sticks to make room for said touchpad.

ps4-access-large12.jpg

The buttons (D-pad, face buttons, shoulders) feel much better. Reliable, is how I would describe them. For contrast, I thought the buttons on the PS3 controller felt mushy. The trigger buttons. They have a concave shape, a rough texture, and just the right amount of resistance to them. Very satisfying to press. Now for the control sticks. They have a convex shape in the center with raised edges around the center, and use a very grippy rubber material that makes them easy to handle. Regarding the rumble motors, there's not much to say. Pretty standard as far as how they feel.

ps4-access-large1.jpg

On the front of the controller between where the shoulder/trigger buttons are located, is an RGB LED that can be changed, or turned off entirely (though not on the PS4 itself it seems). Directly underneath that is a microUSB port that is used to charge the controller and connect to a PC. You can also use Bluetooth to connect to a PC.

All in all, this is the best controller I've laid my hands on since the GameCube controller, and that was a damn fine controller. If you are in the market for a new controller for your PC, look no further.

I love the DS4. It would be perfect if not for the shitty rubber used on the thumbsticks. It attracts dead skin and starts to peel very fast.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

But it's still not supported in PC right? Can I just plug and play it with AC4 or Arkham City?

But it's still not supported in PC right? Can I just plug and play it with AC4 or Arkham City?

You have to download "DS4 to Xinput Mapper", which makes the computer think it's a 360 controller, but it works just fine.

CPU: AMD RYZEN 7 3700x CPU Cooler: AMD Wraith Prism Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB (2x8GB) SSD: Samsung 970 Plus 250GB NVME, WD Blue 2TB m.2, Crucial M500 240GB GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW PSU: Seasonic G-Series 550W CASE: Corsair 220T RGB

You have to download "DS4 to Xinput Mapper", which makes the computer think it's a 360 controller, but it works just fine.

Oh coolllll and the vibration works just fine right? So basically it is just 100% working.

I've tried the PS4 controller in a retail shop, and just hated it.

the Xbox One controller, to me , is far nicer to use, just fits better in the hand

Previous ive used a Xbox 360 controller which is also excellent.,

I've just always found playstation controllers to be terrible

Looking for a job

Oh coolllll and the vibration works just fine right? So basically it is just 100% working.

Yep, everything works 100%. Corsair made a blog post that shows how to install it.

I love the DS4. It would be perfect if not for the shitty rubber used on the thumbsticks. It attracts dead skin and starts to peel very fast.

I didn't realize it at first, but yeah the material does seem like it has that tendency...

I've tried the PS4 controller in a retail shop, and just hated it.

the Xbox One controller, to me , is far nicer to use, just fits better in the hand

Previous ive used a Xbox 360 controller which is also excellent.,

I've just always found playstation controllers to be terrible

I have the X1 controller sitting right in front of me. Aesthetically, it looks amazing. But the physical shape of it just doesn't fit my hands as well as the PS4 controller does. I also dislike the use of hard buttons on the D-pad and shoulder buttons. And the trigger buttons give way much too easily. Just resting my fingers on them causes them to depress slightly. I think the X1 controller would be a better fit for someone with smaller hands.

Nice review bro, I was thinking of getting the X1 controller for the PC, but if this work 100% on PC then I'm sold. It will look weird playing Dark Souls 2 with the Xbox prompts but that's just FromSoftware being lazy...  :)

I'm not much of a fan of the duel shot controller layout and the size. Other than that the ds4 isn't bad. However I would still rather have an xbone controller apart from the stiff bumbers. the triggers are nice, it's just the bumpers.

The two people I know with PS4s have both had their left thumb stick start to come apart, which is a shame as when I tried it out at shows last summer it felt like an excellent pad ergonomics-wise. Probably worth getting some rubber grips to slip on them to avoid this.

I'll always say the stick layout of the PS pads is less optimal than the offset one of the Xbox pads and most third party pads use, but at least they are wider apart this time, and its very comfortable to hold. Personally I think the X1 pad edges it, but it's a good thing that Sony seem to have it 90% sorted out this time.

I still use my xbox 360 wireless controllers for PC gaming even though I have my PS4. The DS4 controller is definitely wonderful though. The only gripe I have about it is that the rubber has already started peeling on my left thumb stick.

"You can try to play chess with a pigeon. But even if you win, it'll shit on the board and strut around."

Download the DS4 drivers to customize the layout but otherwise just so that it works in games, love using the ds4 for some games"not all"  mostly old school awesome rpgs.  And open world games.

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

I love the xbox ones controller the triggers are awesome and i love how xbox puts there analogue sticks diagonal i use to love sony and didnt believe people when they said the xbox 360 controller is better but once i got an xbox then tried to use a ps3 controller on pc i couldnt it hurt my hands and i have pretty small hands and sony has left the analogue sticks in the same place with the DS4 which is extremely uncomfortable to me if the changed that to what the xbox has then i would consider getting one but then they would just be copying xbox so i get why they didint they cant really win but ill be sticking with xbox for now as its the most comfortable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't decide which controller I'm gonna get. The x1 is comfy if a bit small. The thumbsticks are a little too small and the bumpers just plain blow (sorry). The ds4 seems nice. But all the reports of the rubber falling apart is kinda scaring me off. And I haven't gotten much playtime with it either. Hopefully these issues will be addressed for both