Did i get the wrong card?

So I'm in the middle of a fully new desktop build. AM5, 7800X3D for the CPU. Went to Microcenter this morning and picked up a Sapphire Nitro+ 7800XT ($550) for my GPU. My goal is to game at 1440p at high, with around 144 fps. My total build has worked out to just around $1400 USD.

Everything I've been seeing now today has be second guessing my decision on this card. Almost everyone seems to be of the mind either get the 6800XT, or a 6950XT instead for around the same price point. Should I return it and try for one of those? Should I spend alittle more and try to bump up to a 7900XT?

Return it IMO. This is why they stress to wait out and watch reviews and not just up and go buy without researching. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

If you can get a 6950 XT at the same price I would do that, but I haven't seen a (new) 6950 XT for lower than about $600 yet (and it's always the XFX one... not that the XFX one is bad, just weird how none of the others have come down as much).

I would get the 7800 XT over a 6800 XT if they're about the same price because the 7800 XT is about even with it or a little better now and has potential to improve with driver updates, whereas the 6800 XT is probably about as good as it will get. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

if you want 144fps you should go 7900xt, this will do 70-100 in most titles 1440p high/ultra.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

1 minute ago, DesolationGod said:

if you want 144fps you should go 7900xt, this will do 70-100 in most titles 1440p high/ultra.

7900 XT is ~$250 more... 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

7900 XT is ~$250 more... 

yes but he didnt mention an actual budget just an fps target

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700x  (evga 240 AIO cooling)
PBO Settings:
Boost Override CPU: +200
CO: -17 all core
PPT: 140
TDC:  110
EDC: 150
Scalar: Auto

Mobo: Asrock x570 steel legend wifi ax

GPU: asrock challenger 7800xt 16 gb

Ram: 32 gb @3600 mhz

Case: Fractal Design Meshify C White

PSU: Seasonic Focus GX-1000

Storage: 1tb Samsung 860 ssd, 1tb nvme, 2tb Hitachi HDD, 3tb HDD for media

Display: Samsung 27" CHG70 1440p QLED Monitor

5 minutes ago, DesolationGod said:

yes but he didnt mention an actual budget just an fps target

I had initially been planning on 1600/1700 as my final build total. As I said before, with everything i have now, im just as 1400.

I dont think you did bad, yeah 6900/6950 is "better" but they cost more they are two/three years old and the card you have will be supported for longer.

Are you not hitting 144fps with the 7800xt? or have you not even opened the box?

5 minutes ago, Ottoman420 said:

I dont think you did bad, yeah 6900/6950 is "better" but they cost more they are two years old and the card you have will be supported for longer.

Are you not hitting 144fps with the 7800xt? or have you not even opened the box?

I haven't opened the card yet. The logical part of my mind is telling me i should be fine with it. I had been intending on getting the 6800XT when i started this build. This card is around the same, if a little better, in terms of performance, So it should be a wash.

Then there's the part of my mind that's thinking i could have done better. Realistically? I don't know if i'd even tell a difference. Especially coming from my laptop with its 2070 Super.

4 minutes ago, Stratassj said:

I had been intending on getting the 6800XT when i started this build. This card is around the same, if a little better, in terms of performance, So it should be a wash.

yes, if you picked the 7800 XT over the 6800 XT you definitely shouldn't sweat it. However, a 6950 XT for the same price point is a bit of a different consideration. You would expect a bit more performance out of the 6950 XT in general. It's not that common to find a 6950 XT for almost the same price as a 7800 XT so either you got a really expensive 7800 XT or have access to a fairly cheap 6950 XT.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, Stratassj said:

I haven't opened the card yet. The logical part of my mind is telling me i should be fine with it. I had been intending on getting the 6800XT when i started this build. This card is around the same, if a little better, in terms of performance, So it should be a wash.

Then there's the part of my mind that's thinking i could have done better. Realistically? I don't know if i'd even tell a difference. Especially coming from my laptop with its 2070 Super.

Take the win, $1400 is not bad and its less than you planned for.

Its also much more power efficient than a 6950xt (over 100 watts stock) and the 6800xt(50 watts stock) when compared to the AMD refrence 7800xt

TAKE IT and live long & prosper