EGPU not working on Ubuntu with Dell XPS 15 9510

Techo238

Hello all, 

Having some difficulty getting my external 3070 to work in ubuntu with my XPS 15. Booting to ubuntu with the egpu connected puts me to a black screen with no output to any of my displays. If i connect the EGPU after the fact the whole thing fires up and ubuntu recognises the 3070 and selects the correct driver for it but it doesnt engage. I expect that hotplugging wont be an option and a reboot will be required to make it work but it appears to be a no go, i suspect its something to do with the dedicated 3050ti in the laptop messing things up but im not certain. Worth noting that all other aspecs of the egpu box work, usb, ethernet etc. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

Specs:

Dell XPS 15 9510

Intel i7 11800H

16GB Ram

RTX 3050ti (internal)

RTX 3070 in Lenovo Booststation enclosure 

2 minutes ago, Techo238 said:

Hello all, 

Having some difficulty getting my external 3070 to work in ubuntu with my XPS 15. Booting to ubuntu with the egpu connected puts me to a black screen with no output to any of my displays. If i connect the EGPU after the fact the whole thing fires up and ubuntu recognises the 3070 and selects the correct driver for it but it doesnt engage. I expect that hotplugging wont be an option and a reboot will be required to make it work but it appears to be a no go, i suspect its something to do with the dedicated 3050ti in the laptop messing things up but im not certain. Worth noting that all other aspecs of the egpu box work, usb, ethernet etc. Any input is welcome.

Thanks

Specs:

Dell XPS 15 9510

Intel i7 11800H

16GB Ram

RTX 3050ti (internal)

RTX 3070 in Lenovo Booststation enclosure 

Thunderbolt itself probably isn't working, since the other parts of the enclosure can work off USB. The eGPU part being exclusively Thunderbolt.

How To Use Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 on Ubuntu - ByteXD

I'd check for guides as well, but this is one I found.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

16 minutes ago, Agall said:

Thunderbolt itself probably isn't working, since the other parts of the enclosure can work off USB. The eGPU part being exclusively Thunderbolt.

How To Use Thunderbolt 3 and Thunderbolt 4 on Ubuntu - ByteXD

I'd check for guides as well, but this is one I found.

Thunderbolt does appear to be working as the booststation shows as authorised in the thunderbolt menu in setting and the 3070 shows when i run lspci so I assume a thunderbolt connection is working. 

Edit: also just checked bolt and it also shows a 40Gb/s send and recieve Thunderbolt connection.