GPU Compatibility / Performance Question

Hello, this is my first post, so apologies if I do anything wrong.

I have a PRIME B360M-A motherboard and I'm thinking about updating my GPU to an RTX 3060 Ti, but I'm a bit hesitant as the RTX 3060 is fairly new in comparison to when I got my motherboard (Late 2018). It has only PCIe 3.0 support, but I read that 3.0 vs. 4.0 performance difference isn't very significant? Essentially, I just want to be 100% sure that the graphics card will successfully install and operate how it's suppose to.

Thanks for any help / replies!

8 minutes ago, AndersonHardware said:

Hello, this is my first post, so apologies if I do anything wrong.

I have a PRIME B360M-A motherboard and I'm thinking about updating my GPU to an RTX 3060 Ti, but I'm a bit hesitant as the RTX 3060 is fairly new in comparison to when I got my motherboard (Late 2018). It has only PCIe 3.0 support, but I read that 3.0 vs. 4.0 performance difference isn't very significant? Essentially, I just want to be 100% sure that the graphics card will successfully install and operate how it's suppose to.

Thanks for any help / replies!

1. It should work. I installed one in my nephew's PC a few weeks ago. His motherboard was Biostar H310 (chipset released in the same year as yours), with an 8th gen CPU.

2. On that card the performance difference between PCIE3 and PCIE4 is miniscule.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

6 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

1. It should work. I installed one in my nephew's PC a few weeks ago. His motherboard was Biostar H310 (chipset released in the same year as yours), with an 8th gen CPU.

2. On that card the performance difference between PCIE3 and PCIE4 is miniscule.

Thanks for the answer! Makes me a bit more confident in my choice now.

It won't have any issue. It will work just fine. But I would advise against a 3060 to 3060 ti upgrade. Performance wise, yes 3060 ti is better. But just the 4gb extra vram, will give the 3060's longevity longer, as new games are now starting to perform better with more vram. Plus the performance difference isn't that high enough to warrant the few hundred you would be spending, unless it's a direct trade+ around 50-$100. Honestly, performance wise, I won't even advise anyone getting a 3070 or 6700xt if you already have a 3060.

1 hour ago, kitnoman said:

It won't have any issue. It will work just fine. But I would advise against a 3060 to 3060 ti upgrade. Performance wise, yes 3060 ti is better. But just the 4gb extra vram, will give the 3060's longevity longer, as new games are now starting to perform better with more vram. Plus the performance difference isn't that high enough to warrant the few hundred you would be spending, unless it's a direct trade+ around 50-$100. Honestly, performance wise, I won't even advise anyone getting a 3070 or 6700xt if you already have a 3060.

Hey, thanks for your reply. I actually currently have an RTX 2060 and it does a decent job at the games I’m trying to play. I still have the RTX 2060 original box as well as the GPU (obviously), which I may be able to sell in the future.