upgrade to amd for egpu gaming

Budget (including currency): N/A

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Want 30/40fps (Monitor has freesync) at 1440p in games like Baldur's gate.

Other details: 

I got a 1185g7 intel framework after my 11th gen desktop died (I use avx-512). I plan on using my 3080ti as an egpu for gaming. Should I ask framework if I can preorder a ryzen 7 7840 motherboard  (replacing the 11th gen) or is it not worth it?

Edited by sgreenberg
font size change

Did you already asked to Framework for... support?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

4 hours ago, mMontana said:

Did you already asked to Framework for... support?

support for what?

I am really dumb. I totally did not understand your first topic. Sorry.

Ok.

These are the benchmark comparison between your current CPU and 7840HS (according to framework website for Framework 16")

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/5258vs3793/AMD-Ryzen-7-7840HS-vs-Intel-i7-1185G7
This website do not have any sample of 7840U, which is the one used for Framework 13".

Both CPUs (7840U and 7840HS) are not in the same game of 1185G7, which should be far less powerful as computational power, yet in a lower TDP class.

1185G7 can be configured from the laptop producer from 12W to 28W TDP, matching maximum TDP of 7840U.

More cores, more power, potentially higher energy efficiency from both AMD CPUS. However, when you'll ask full juice to 7840HS it will drain battery faster than a runner choke out the drink bottle at the end of marathon. You know that he will, and he will succeed.

Biggest issue is... Thunderbolt for tunneling PCIe. 

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂