All windows move to the other screen

Oddvar Ashborn

Sorry for the vague title but i didn't know how to word it better without it become too long. And i also hope this is the right section.

Basically i just installed my new monitor, an Alienware AW3423DW, and since it's an OLED panel, i always turn it off when i go AFK.

Problem is, every time i turn it back on, both screens (i have 2) go black for a second and all the windows in the secondary screen get moved to the primary screen, and i have to move them back every time.

I'm posting here cause to me it sounds more like a Windows "issue" than a monitor one, i hope i'm right.

Any ideas?

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

When you turn it off it disconnects from the system with The results that all Windows moves to the active screen.

I pretty sure all OS does this, at least all the Linux machines i hav hade, most of them acually crashed if i "hotplugged" a monitor like that. 

I would go in to power saving settings and use the "turn off screen" function and set it to 5 minutes, and check if there is a pixel-shift function in the monitor. 

On 9/3/2023 at 6:52 AM, ObsoleteTech said:

When you turn it off it disconnects from the system with The results that all Windows moves to the active screen.

I pretty sure all OS does this, at least all the Linux machines i hav hade, most of them acually crashed if i "hotplugged" a monitor like that. 

I would go in to power saving settings and use the "turn off screen" function and set it to 5 minutes, and check if there is a pixel-shift function in the monitor. 

But the weird thing is that that doesn't happen when the screen turns off, but when it turns back on!

Also i didn't have this issue with my previous screen, i could just turn it off and nothing would happen, so i hope there is something i can do?

A friend of mine with the same screen told me that he has found weird stuff on the screen after leaving it in standby (PC turned off). It apparently needs to be literally turned off.

(The monitor has pixel refresh and panel refresh)

i9 9900KS @5.0Ghz | Corsair H150i Pro RGB | EVGA RTX 2080S FTW3 ULTRA | ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-F GAMING | Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz CL15 | Samsung 970EVO 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 512GB | 2xHDD Seagate Barracuda 3TB | Enermax Platimax 1500W | Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB SE

• 2 weeks later...