PC reboots "for no reason"… desperately need help

Rien102

Hello, I'm in dire need of help! 

In November, I built my very first PC.  Here are the parts:

**CPU** | [Intel Core i5-12600K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor]

**CPU Cooler** | [Deepcool AK620 68.99 CFM CPU Cooler]

**Motherboard** | [MSI PRO B660-A DDR4 ATX LGA1700 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory]

**Storage** | [Western Digital Blue SN570 1 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Western Digital WD_BLACK 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive]

**Storage** | [Western Digital WD_BLACK 1 TB 3.5" 7200 RPM Internal Hard Drive]

**Video Card** | [EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 8 GB Video Card]

**Case** | [Fractal Design Pop Air ATX Mid Tower Case]

**Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA 750 P5 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply]

PC parts picker gave me estimated wattage of 529W

image.png.08d98cdcba5bea3a65c2a539abe49671.png

In April, I came here with the same problem.  I did what was offered as steps to take:

• Made sure motherboard driver was up to date
  • Cleaned my GPU driver with DDU and reinstalled everything and made sure the driver was the latest available
  • Finally, checked that all the cables were correctly connected.

Since then, it happened very seldomely.  I basically changed some computer use habits and pretty much all was ok.  Until 3 days ago….  I bought Baldur's Gate 3 and it was rebooting all the time!!!  Trying to level up? Rebbot!  Check inventory? Reboot!  Try to check my party's cards? Reboot!  It is madening!

Here's an example when I try to level up a character:

What I did to try and resolve the problem:

• Made sure all drivers were up to date
  • Re-cleaned GPU drivers and reinstalled
  • Looked at the Event Journal (can't understand there…)

What I came towas to go check at the BIOS info and I'm starting to think it might be a matter of config:  I disabled XMP and the number of reboots went through the roof!  In short, all I did was enable XMP to get the 3200MHz RAM speed.  Nothing else!  

So... HELP!  

Here are some screencaps…

1. The Task manager when the crash happened in the vid I posted higher up in this post (the frame before all become black):

image.png.36006a3a475b2c1c7593f1bae4bd42e0.png

B)image.thumb.jpeg.36c7e6544b1bccd06ac140bcfbcd1e19.jpeg

C)PicC.thumb.jpg.b74adb54be8251c631666f8b0048cc0c.jpg

D)PicD.thumb.jpg.639c8177ffaf0d1abdb495f7b9e0fbcc.jpg

I'm in Montreal, if need be, I'd go to a tech for a full resolution of the problem... but I'll need a reference since I don't know any 😕

@Rien102 My guess is that it could be your ram.

I remember a couple times in the past that I've had this problem, with replacing the ram (and on at least one occasion replacing the power supply) solving my problem.

Considering how you mentioned your problems escalating when you enabled the XMP profile, that does make it seem more like it is the ram. One thing you can try doing is switching the ram to different slots and/or trying just one stick at a time.

Also not sure if just me, but that video you posted doesn't work, with only the audio playing.

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠉⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣄⡀⠀⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠸⣿⣿⣿⠃⢰⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡆⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢶⣶⣶⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⢠⡀⠐⠀⠀⠀⠻⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡄⢸⣷⡄⠀⠣⣄⡀⠀⠉⠛⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣇⠀⣿⣿⣦⠀⠹⣿⣷⣶⣦⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣼⣿⣿⣿⣷⣄⣸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⡿⢛⡙⢻⠛⣉⢻⣉⢈⣹⣿⣿⠟⣉⢻⡏⢛⠙⣉⢻⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣇⠻⠃⣾⠸⠟⣸⣿⠈⣿⣿⣿⡀⠴⠞⡇⣾⡄⣿⠘⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣟⠛⣃⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿

I forgot to say I did the Windows RAM test and "No problem detected"

tks for the first answers

@Inception9269 The vid work on my end (the reboot process starts at second #3) 

@lafrente

I'll try to remove 1 stick and go into game to try everything again.  I'll keep posting...

17 minutes ago, Rien102 said:

Looked at the Event Journal (can't understand there…)

Please have a look again and see if you can find anything labeled "critical" or "error" (red symbols), you should find this under "Windows logs"/"System".

Even if you don't understand the error message or think it doesn't say anything, someone here might have an idea or gets lucky googling it.

@GarlicDeliverySystem  The only Critical I have in there is about the system rebooting.  As for error, there's quite a few around the DCOM wasn't saved in time (event 10010)

BlueScreenView has been run?

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

@Inception9269 @lafrente

update:  going at it with a single stick (both of them in rotation) in DIMMA2, so far, no crash.  I'll go longer to see if it keeps up (I got a "full hour" without reboots yesterday so....)  I'll keep going and will let you know if all is good.  If all works, I'll try the 2 RAMs again but in the other lanes (I need to remove cooler of CPU to access the DIMMA1 slot) but later... (i.e. if both work "alone", then it would DIMMB2 that is defective?)

Could be the slot or the ram stick. Rotate the sticks on the same slot for exclude it's the stick.

Not English-speaking person, sorry, I'll make mistakes. If you're kind, maybe you'll be able to understand.

If you're really kind, you'll nicely point that out so I will learn more about write in good English.  🙂

update:  going at it with a single stick (both of them in rotation) in DIMMA2.  After a time, I got reboots with both sticks.  Now, I'm trying in DIMMB1 (DIMMA1 is under the cooler, would need to remove it to test so...).  I got 1 reboot so far.  Will try the second stick later today.

2 hours ago, Rien102 said:

update:  going at it with a single stick (both of them in rotation) in DIMMA2.  After a time, I got reboots with both sticks.  Now, I'm trying in DIMMB1 (DIMMA1 is under the cooler, would need to remove it to test so...).  I got 1 reboot so far.  Will try the second stick later today.

Are you running XMP or default profile? If XMP, disable it and run on the base timings.

If you resolve the problem by going to 1 stick / base timings, you can try buying a new ram kit from a different manufacturer. Refer to the QVL list for your board to make sure it’s compatible.

If you run into issues with another set, then the board is likely to blame.

8 minutes ago, Whatisthis said:

Are you running XMP or default profile? If XMP, disable it and run on the base timings.

If you resolve the problem by going to 1 stick / base timings, you can try buying a new ram kit from a different manufacturer. Refer to the QVL list for your board to make sure it’s compatible.

If you run into issues with another set, then the board is likely to blame.

I was running with XMP enabled for the tests.  1 stick of RAM makes less reboots so far, but still got reboots (still one stick in the last slot to try)

Important update

I'm at a lost.  Both RAM sticks failed (i.e. computer reboot) while being alone and in 3 different slots (i.e. both RAM sticks went into DIMMB1, DIMMA2, DIMMB2, swapping them).  I tried both SSMP Enabled and Disabled....

While RAM sticks were in DIMMA2 slot, I ran the RAM diagnostic tool of Windows, both sticks came out with a clean bill of health....

Spent time in windows events log, again, warning event 10016, error for event 10010 and the critical is the reboot itself...

Suggestions, please?

3 hours ago, lafrente said:

Does it only happen in that specific game? Could be a GPU memory issue.

nope.  It was happening before.  Like, doing light video editing (Adobe Rush) while watching youtbe vids on my browser (Brave), and suddenly the computer would reboot.  The behavior I changed, were like those: don't do light editing while watching youtube....

It's a PITA, but worth it IMVHO.

Did you verify socket status and if the CPU is seated in?

My hunch is that there's might be some imperfect contact between CPU and socket, on the ram controller side.

I'm having this same issue, random reboots at random (Seems to be about 5 minutes, but that is not a hard number) times. I just ran the Windows RAM test and also got a "No issues" dialog. I'm new to the PC world, using a prebuilt instead of a custom. I have little-to-no knowledge of the building process and the different BIOS settings and whatever, save the limited knowledge I have gained from LTT. Any suggestions?

Edited by Nfsmostwanted88

• 2 weeks later...

Update

Multiples actions have been taken, without positive outcome 😣

Changed my RAM sticks to ones that were on the compatibility list of MSI.  The one I had weren't on the list and "might be the cause of the problems".

Changed the PSU via an RMA.  They just sent the PSU itself, not new cables.  

The computer is still randomly rebooting.... sigh....

Suggestion please?