Loosing access to a digital game (Steam, Crysis 2)

Hi!

First post, and english is not my native language, so sorry about any poor grammar.

Back in 2011, i bought Crysis 2 Limited edition on Steam, amazing game, and i have regularly downloaded and played it since 2011.
Crysis for people who don't know, have its own serial verifier when you start the game, hence steam provides you keys to enter when launching the game.

So the issue; The key have been used too many times, and that's fine in itself, i have bought multiple computers since 2011. But i have reached out to both EA and Steam, and they only blame each other, and says the other part have to provide a solution for me. For me it was a proper reality check, will this game that i have purchased eventually be unplayable? I have heard that the remastered version don't use the same serial checker, but for me its a matter of principle that i should have access to the game i paid 50 dollars for back in 2011 for as long as i want. at least as long as it exists on steam.

quick note; i had this issue back in 2021 as well, asked EA and they fixed it, the ticket system at EA apparently don't handle old cases very well, so i can see the ticket, but all history (conversation, files etc.) are lost. But telling them that they took responsibility for this back then didn't make them change their mind.

I have also reached out to Crytek themselves, awaiting a response.

Glad i have physical copies of my very favorite games!

Thought this could be more of a discussion topic than a problem/solution thing, but if anyone know what to demand from who to get this solved, I'd be very happy!

While I can’t specifically recommend piracy due to forum rules, this is a scenario where I don’t think anyone would be offended if the game were to be pirated - the companies or your peers.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU:  Intel Core i7-14700K
CPU Cooler: Deepcool LT720
Motherboard: MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000

Storage 1: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB

Storage 2: Crucial P3 Plus 4 TB
Video Card: EVGA XC3 ULTRA GAMING GeForce RTX 3080 10GB

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x2)
Monitor Main: MSI G274QPF-QD 27.0" 2560 x 1440 170 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

7 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

While I can’t specifically recommend piracy due to forum rules, this is a scenario where I don’t think anyone would be offended if the game were to be pirated - the companies or your peers.

I hear what you are saying, and I agree. But I think this unfortunately is a problem that will become more and more common, and such solutions are always easy targets for malicious software, no matter how careful you are, running or replacing executables provided from random sources on the internet is never a good solution.

Another question for discussion, who do we think have the responsibility here? Steam, EA, Crytek? Or am I in the wrong to ask for more activations? Is the game purchase only for a few installs, or is it a "lifetime" for my own devices?

Some Origin games have authorization limit. Try download the de-authorize tool. 

http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/deauthtool/DeAuthManagementTool.exe

https://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

1 hour ago, TylerD321 said:

heh this was my first impression when I read the post, but I was nervous to post it here. Glad you did! Screw these companies for maintaining these awful practices. This game goes on sale for a few bucks... what are you still worried about at this point