Photoshop ai - more cpu or gpu dependent ?

xxx68

Hello, I would like to upgrade my PC. Lately I am using a lot Photoshop AI features. Is this processing more dependent on cpu or gpu ?

Thank you

Content aware fill, which is Ai is really a combination but is slightly more GPU dependent (will run noticeably faster). If you're wondering about the new Ai element (Generative fill), isn't it based off of Adobe Firefly? So it is Cloud-based(might change after its out of "development", in that case I don't think it matters what you have. 

What is your current setup, that should tell you what to upgrade.

3 minutes ago, That Guy said:

Content aware fill, which is Ai is really a combination but is slightly more GPU dependent (will run noticeably faster). If you're wondering about the new Ai element (Generative fill), isn't it based off of Adobe Firefly? So it is Cloud-based(might change after its out of "development", in that case I don't think it matters what you have. 

What is your current setup, that should tell you what to upgrade.

Yeah - Also you can just open task manager while doing it and see which part has the highest utilization and assuming it makes sense, that is your potential bottleneck.

My PC Specs: (expand to view)

Main Gaming Machine

CPU: Intel Core i7-10700K - OC to 5 GHz All Cores
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT (Front Mounted AIO)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600

Storage: Intel 665p 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME SSD (x2)
Video Card: Zotac RTX 3070 8 GB GAMING Twin Edge OC

Power Supply: Corsair RM850 850W
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow
Case Fan 120mm: Noctua F12 PWM 54.97 CFM 120 mm (x1)
Case Fan 140mm: Noctua A14 PWM 82.5 CFM 140 mm (x4)
Monitor Main: Asus VG278QR 27.0" 1920x1080 165 Hz
Monitor Vertical: Asus VA27EHE 27.0" 1920x1080 75 Hz

50 minutes ago, xxx68 said:

Hello, I would like to upgrade my PC. Lately I am using a lot Photoshop AI features. Is this processing more dependent on cpu or gpu ?

Thank you

What are your current specifications. What isn't working like you want it to? What are your expectations of an upgrade?

20 minutes ago, TylerD321 said:

Yeah - Also you can just open task manager while doing it and see which part has the highest utilization and assuming it makes sense, that is your potential bottleneck.

Thank for the idea. I did check it and both GPU and CPU is basically sleeping while generative fill. So it really seem that it is cloud based ?  5900x has 6% utilization and my RTX 3080 ti 5%. Just my ram has 80% utilization. I do have 32 GB

8 hours ago, xxx68 said:

Thank for the idea. I did check it and both GPU and CPU is basically sleeping while generative fill. So it really seem that it is cloud based ?  5900x has 6% utilization and my RTX 3080 ti 5%. Just my ram has 80% utilization. I do have 32 GB

Yeah that sounds about right. Photoshop can be a RAM hog at high resolution.

Press quote to get a response from someone! | Check people's edited posts! | Be specific! | Trans Rights

I am human. I'm scared of the dark, and I get toothaches. My name is Frill. Don't pretend not to see me. I was born from the two of you.

• 3 weeks later...

Sort of related question, but my friend is planing to buy a GPU for Photoshop to use the AI features. Can AMD cards, to be mor exact the RX 580 8GB, use the AI features in Photoshop? Like text removal and other stuff.