mixing RAM?

I'm looking at adding 16gb to my existing 16gb ram, since in some games my system is at near max memory.

The ram I have is 3600mhz CL16, corsair vengeance. If I want to buy the same one now, its £45, whereas I can get the CL18 one for £35.

If I get CL18 version can I just plug and play? Or will it not work with my CL16 ram?

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

20 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I'm looking at adding 16gb to my existing 16gb ram, since in some games my system is at near max memory.

The ram I have is 3600mhz CL16, corsair vengeance. If I want to buy the same one now, its £45, whereas I can get the CL18 one for £35.

If I get CL18 version can I just plug and play? Or will it not work with my CL16 ram?

It may or may not work right off the bat.

Meaning, it may cause trouble when XMP/DOCP is turned on. Which means you will have to manually OC them to work at advertised speed.

And yes, even the very same model, if they (Corsair) changed ICs at some point in revision. There's a chance that they won't work right off the bat with the older set when XMP/DOCP is turned on.

Also, both will be CL18

Safest bet is to sell your old one, or keep it as a spare. Then buy a kit of 32gb.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

58 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

It may or may not work right off the bat.

Meaning, it may cause trouble when XMP/DOCP is turned on. Which means you will have to manually OC them to work at advertised speed.

And yes, even the very same model, if they (Corsair) changed ICs at some point in revision. There's a chance that they won't work right off the bat with the older set when XMP/DOCP is turned on.

Also, both will be CL18

Safest bet is to sell your old one, or keep it as a spare. Then buy a kit of 32gb.

thanks for the answer. I will give it a shot and see if it works. just seems pointless paying more than I need to!

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

2 minutes ago, treeroy said:

thanks for the answer. I will give it a shot and see if it works. just seems pointless paying more than I need to!

Well, if you don't mind gimping your current RAM.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

In my experience with ram mixing it's usually fine but not always.

I've done it for others many times and it's only ever not worked about 1 out of the 10 or so times I've tried it.

Like noted above it will default to the slower ram but its alot easier than selling your current kit and buying another set.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset