Best way to power and control external liquid cooling?

Go to solution Solved by Bismut,
3 minutes ago, actually_god said:

yeah ive thought about something like that using a hdplex 250w (small, fanless, modular, atx) and an arduino or something. my hesitance is that the end result is a pile of cables and stuff i need to put somewhere to make them "presentable" which is why i want to make changes in general. 

Just go to your local big box store and get a lunchbox. Mount everything not massively heat generating in there and you should be good, or cut a vent and add a fan if you want to mount, say, the PSU in there too. The proper way to do it would be a box for electronics, but I do not know whether home improvement stores carry those, you might have to order them.

6 minutes ago, actually_god said:

use a aquacomputer aquaero 5 PRO in my computer and an octo at the rads

I actually meant one of those I think, I considered one as well but did not want to pay that much and have to use their software, so I basically just eyeball temps (it works, not perfectly but good enough).

8 minutes ago, actually_god said:

i am just kind of stoopid and didnt know if a niche company somewhere didnt already make something that does all this out of the box or in a more complete way

Possibly, but I do not know of one.

i have looked everywhere for some off the shelf solution for my situation but have not really found anything. my current setup is a little overkill. but out side my case i have 2x d5 pumps (i just run the pumps at 100%) 18x .36A fans (T30) on a single fan controller and a little temperature that doesnt do anything other than show current water temp. so currently i run power from my computer in the least complicated way possible with a cable hanging over my desk as well as a cable for  d5's pwm, the fan controller pwm, and a cable for another inline water temp sensor that i use for the bios fan curve on the radiator fans.

its all real ugly and halfass. i dont have any attachment to doing it this way and would like to run a 1-2 cable solution or localize that stuff on its own power and use something to program a simple fan curve that just works. 

i am not completely opposed to doing some kind of custom solution like an xlr cable or something like that. but if i change anything it will require me to remake that every time a change is big enough or if something breaks and i kind of want to make a second setup similar to this one. even if there is just some parts of it that are just out there that could help solidify a solution that would be great. my biggest no go is proprietary awful software i have to run all the time to keep a config vs being able to save a profile to the device. i am not too worried about cost as long as it is not more unreasonable than my current system is.

1. Cheap 12V PSU off of ebay or so
  2. one of those controllers that take a temp in and give a PWM signal out based off that. You might have to set up the thing once using proprietary software, but should be able to just give it 12V and stop thinking about it after that. The other way is programming an arduino, but good luck with that.
  3. Connect the fan power leads directly to the PSU, I would not pull more than 1A from a fan port and you should pull up to 8A. Do connect one of the fans power, PWM and SENSE pins to make the controller think everything is okay and daisy chain the PWM wire to all the other fans.
  4. Profit

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

31 minutes ago, Bismut said:
  1. Cheap 12V PSU off of ebay or so
  2. one of those controllers that take a temp in and give a PWM signal out based off that. You might have to set up the thing once using proprietary software, but should be able to just give it 12V and stop thinking about it after that. The other way is programming an arduino, but good luck with that.
  3. Connect the fan power leads directly to the PSU, I would not pull more than 1A from a fan port and you should pull up to 8A. Do connect one of the fans power, PWM and SENSE pins to make the controller think everything is okay and daisy chain the PWM wire to all the other fans.
  4. Profit

yeah ive thought about something like that using a hdplex 250w (small, fanless, modular, atx) and an arduino or something. my hesitance is that the end result is a pile of cables and stuff i need to put somewhere to make them "presentable" which is why i want to make changes in general. 

another solution i maybe have come up with is installing a molex and maybe usb passthrough into the back of my case and use a aquacomputer aquaero 5 PRO in my computer and an octo at the rads. only because they are readily available and i think i can plug the octo basically directly into the aquaero. so hopefully fabrication or custom cabling will be kept to a minimum and also maybe isnt the worst price setup. 

i am just kind of stoopid and didnt know if a niche company somewhere didnt already make something that does all this out of the box or in a more complete way

3 minutes ago, actually_god said:

Just go to your local big box store and get a lunchbox. Mount everything not massively heat generating in there and you should be good, or cut a vent and add a fan if you want to mount, say, the PSU in there too. The proper way to do it would be a box for electronics, but I do not know whether home improvement stores carry those, you might have to order them.

use a aquacomputer aquaero 5 PRO in my computer and an octo at the rads

I actually meant one of those I think, I considered one as well but did not want to pay that much and have to use their software, so I basically just eyeball temps (it works, not perfectly but good enough).

Trans Rights!

4 minutes ago, Bismut said:

yeah i would probably 3d print something for the first option. 

and in those controllers in the second option are kind of pricy but it also just happens to align with another thing i am doing and i think the fan curve can be configured from the aquaero directly. also looks 100% like they plug into eachother so all that needs to be done on my part is running power and any available 4 pin cable outside of my case. i am really leaning toward aquacomputer just because they have a whole ecosystem that looks rather complete.

i am looking for some silly (but useful) things to put in my "new" case anyways and one of the things i had on my list was a fan controller so i was planning on basically wasting an inappropriate amount of money on that which i can use for this instead to achieve the same goal. i have been actively looking at this stuff since i posted the question and didnt have as clear of a plan as this when i posted it.

though it would be cool to get that power and other cable down to one single cable but i havent looked hard enough yet

1 hour ago, actually_god said:

yeah i would probably 3d print something for the first option. 

I have noticed that 3D printing truly is a hammer that makes every job look like a nail. To be fair, I think similarly, but it is funny.

and in those controllers in the second option are kind of pricy but it also just happens to align with another thing i am doing and i think the fan curve can be configured from the aquaero directly. also looks 100% like they plug into eachother so all that needs to be done on my part is running power and any available 4 pin cable outside of my case. i am really leaning toward aquacomputer just because they have a whole ecosystem that looks rather complete.

Was there not a whole thing with them forcing you to use their software, having to pay for updates and such? der8auer did a video about RGB software and mentioned that you have to pay for that.

i am looking for some silly (but useful) things to put in my "new" case anyways and one of the things i had on my list was a fan controller so i was planning on basically wasting an inappropriate amount of money on that which i can use for this instead to achieve the same goal.

Do you want some recommendations? I have a whole bookmarks folder for stuff like that.

though it would be cool to get that power and other cable down to one single cable but i havent looked hard enough yet

I mean, there should be 4x2.5mm or 4x1.5mm cables. They are meant for house wiring or so, but you can also use them for other things (I have my LEDs running off my PCs PSU using 2x2.5mm copper cable). 1.5mm wire should be good for at least 10A, but I am no electrician and like to jerry rig HARD, so take that with a bit of salt and most certainly err on the side of caution.

Trans Rights!

58 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I have noticed that 3D printing truly is a hammer that makes every job look like a nail. To be fair, I think similarly, but it is funny.

Was there not a whole thing with them forcing you to use their software, having to pay for updates and such? der8auer did a video about RGB software and mentioned that you have to pay for that.

Do you want some recommendations? I have a whole bookmarks folder for stuff like that.

I mean, there should be 4x2.5mm or 4x1.5mm cables. They are meant for house wiring or so, but you can also use them for other things (I have my LEDs running off my PCs PSU using 2x2.5mm copper cable). 1.5mm wire should be good for at least 10A, but I am no electrician and like to jerry rig HARD, so take that with a bit of salt and most certainly err on the side of caution.

yeah its nice to just be able to make things as needed with 3d printing. i havent looked into their software i just wanted to make basically a 2 point curve like i have setup now where its either quiet or its not and there are problems(like 20% at ambient and then going from 20% to 100% at 26-30c. i have been memorizing all their products and saw they sell premium for their software but not past that. though if i buy that screen and then just get a permit error on it saying i didnt buy their battle pass would be pretty great. as for bookmarks/recommendations i dont need anything currently i was just looking to make my computer look like a tastefully cringe early 2000s gamer setup to fill some of the front bays i cant get covers for. and i went through and found prefabs of everything i would need (and some stuff i wouldnt) using the aquacomputer stuff but now you got me sweating about this german level bmw monthly subscription for heated steering wheel type stuff.

1 minute ago, actually_god said:

going from 20% to 100% at 26-30c

It is over 26°C here right now, I would set it to only go full bore at 45ish°C. I would be impressed if your computer overpowers a MoRa, even with an OCd 13900K.

Just now, actually_god said:

i was just looking to make my computer look like a tastefully cringe early 2000s gamer setup to fill some of the front bays i cant get covers for

That seems like a very valid reason to 3D print something, you might be able to just make them a fan mount as well, get some fresh air over your non-liquid cooled components. Also, very expressive wording, I actually had to laugh.

9 minutes ago, actually_god said:

but now you got me sweating about this german level bmw monthly subscription for heated steering wheel type stuff

Listen, we are a country of good engineers. The marketing engineers are evil, but they are quite good at making money. We just need PR engineers to hold them back from being too efficient at being evil.

Trans Rights!

software doesnt look that bad 10 euro for a year but first year is free but is weird i wasnt planning on using their software at all honestly

3 minutes ago, Bismut said:

It is over 26°C here right now, I would set it to only go full bore at 45ish°C. I would be impressed if your computer overpowers a MoRa, even with an OCd 13900K.

That seems like a very valid reason to 3D print something, you might be able to just make them a fan mount as well, get some fresh air over your non-liquid cooled components. Also, very expressive wording, I actually had to laugh.

Listen, we are a country of good engineers. The marketing engineers are evil, but they are quite good at making money. We just need PR engineers to hold them back from being too efficient at being evil.

i keep my house at 66 and no not unless i am benchmarking or stress testing which i was pulling about 400w on the cpu when i finalized everything and the ekwb direct die plate does a good job pulling heat off the cpu. my 4090 just doesnt get hot no mater what i do with it. i set up that curve when i was working on the overclock and had it at some really dumb settings that the few degrees difference in water temp would raise the cpu past my set cutoff at the time. the way everythings cooled right now there isnt much big heat generating components not under a waterblock. i think the 3x80mm fans that are in it will do the rest well enough that i just dont want the empty spaces. and i understand that company looks pretty niche and software development is expensive someone will pay for it just not me. 

5 minutes ago, actually_god said:

i keep my house at 66 and no not unless i am benchmarking or stress testing which i was pulling about 400w on the cpu when i finalized everything and the ekwb direct die plate does a good job pulling heat off the cpu. my 4090 just doesnt get hot no mater what i do with it.

Ahhh, AC. I do not have that, but your settings do make sense.
And I am not that surprised a 13900K is overwhelming the heat transfer capabilities of water, even with direct die cooling.

i think the 3x80mm fans that are in it will do the rest well enough that i just dont want the empty spaces.

True, that should be plenty for a monoblocked build.

and i understand that company looks pretty niche and software development is expensive someone will pay for it just not me. 

Yes, even though it is somewhat unfortunate. I have tried my luck with an Arduino and will post if I build a DIY solution for that situation.

Trans Rights!

25 minutes ago, Bismut said:

Ahhh, AC. I do not have that, but your settings do make sense.
And I am not that surprised a 13900K is overwhelming the heat transfer capabilities of water, even with direct die cooling.

True, that should be plenty for a monoblocked build.

Yes, even though it is somewhat unfortunate. I have tried my luck with an Arduino and will post if I build a DIY solution for that situation.

can you not get ac at all? i know there are memes about it but i dont know much past that. yeah it was aggressively dialed in at the time and is why i have two mo-ra's i have since dialed it back for the overclock and i havent ever seen it a few degrees above ambient at most but yeah if it was 30c+ in my office its probably on fire. this was my first custom watercooled computer and i went kind of ham on it and just keep throwing money at it so i have more excuses to take it apart. probably going to end up building a second one soon that is all amd since they got their act together these past couple generations (not a brand thing just a performance thing not trying to break the rules) and either just cool it on the same loop or split up the mo-ra's or something sillier. want to get this one slightly more sorted first. 

if you want to continue this conversation feel free to dm me

Just now, actually_god said:

can you not get ac at all? i know there are memes about it but i dont know much past that.

I could get a portable unit (they are sold in stores here) but electricity is about 30ct/kWh and it is bearable. Our windows are not made for slipping in an AC vent, the style is called tilt/turn AFAIK and looks like this:d7d514fd696421bd10c69ea682a606a8.thumb.jpg.0f060a4b53ec7a4d84de8f14a418df97.jpg

I have to admit that I have grown more fond of the american style sliding window, although european houses retain temperature better because they are made of stone and such, so just leaving the windows open at night was fairly reasonable for cooling, provided you closed them during the day. I would plan for some AC if I was building a house now though, those reversible heat pumps do sound nice.

4 minutes ago, actually_god said:

yeah it was aggressively dialed in at the time and is why i have two mo-ra's i have since dialed it back for the overclock and i havent ever seen it a few degrees above ambient at most but yeah if it was 30c+ in my office its probably on fire

Oh, two MoRas. I am yet to see a system that can fully leverage one tbh, but yours is probably up there.

5 minutes ago, actually_god said:

and just keep throwing money at it so i have more excuses to take it apart

Damn, who would do that? Not me, that is for sure...

probably going to end up building a second one soon that is all amd since they got their act together these past couple generations and either just cool it on the same loop or split up the mo-ra's or something sillier. want to get this one slightly more sorted first. 

I wish I had that sort of expendible income, but I feel like a single MoRa per system should be just fine. Connecting the loops sounds like a maintenance nightmare, I would keep them seperate or at least use no-spill quick connect fittings.

Trans Rights!

3 minutes ago, Bismut said:

I could get a portable unit (they are sold in stores here) but electricity is about 30ct/kWh and it is bearable. Our windows are not made for slipping in an AC vent, the style is called tilt/turn AFAIK and looks like this:d7d514fd696421bd10c69ea682a606a8.thumb.jpg.0f060a4b53ec7a4d84de8f14a418df97.jpg

I have to admit that I have grown more fond of the american style sliding window, although european houses retain temperature better because they are made of stone and such, so just leaving the windows open at night was fairly reasonable for cooling, provided you closed them during the day. I would plan for some AC if I was building a house now though, those reversible heat pumps do sound nice.

Oh, two MoRas. I am yet to see a system that can fully leverage one tbh, but yours is probably up there.

Damn, who would do that? Not me, that is for sure...

I wish I had that sort of expendible income, but I feel like a single MoRa per system should be just fine. Connecting the loops sounds like a maintenance nightmare, I would keep them seperate or at least use no-spill quick connect fittings.

i am not a reasonable person when it comes to not being warm. i would pay what ever. i surgically removed the window from my room as a teen to put a window unit in living in a old house in the hood. 

computers are tough hobby finically and even then it can be super hard to justify owning more than one or getting certain things because of price to performance.

if you want to continue the conversation feel free to dm me so the thread can stay technical.