XPG Cybercore II - Really bad fan curve...

Go to solution Solved by seon123,
52 minutes ago, Nate19 said:

Anything I can do to alleviate this or am I out of luck?

If it's possible to mount it with the fan side up, try that. With semi passive PSUs, the heat should rise up, and away from the thermistor, allowing it to stay passive for longer. It could also help by providing some airflow from the rest of the PC through the PSU. If it's already mounted fan side up, or if it's not possible, you could try to undervolt or otherwise reduce the PC's power consumption so it's able to always stay passive. If you prefer for the fan to just always be on, you could increase it enough for it to always force the PSU to run with its fan on.

56 minutes ago, Nate19 said:

If I need to swap PSU, could anyone recommend a good PSU that doesn't have the annoying "smart" fan curve...

The issue isn't that it's a "smart" or semi passive fan curve, it's that it's too dumb. Some PSUs have hysteresis for the fan speed, exactly to prevent the issue you're having. If budget is no concern, something like the Corsair AX1600i or HX1500i would be decent options. The HX850 for $135 is a good option, imo, and should be enough for your specs. The reason I recommend those is that I know they have a MCU as the fan controller, and have hysteresis, and they are also fairly quiet. If you need a 12VHRPWR connector, Corsair has a $20 cable for that. The Thermaltake GF3 850W for $110 after rebate is also good. It has an MCU for fan control, but it also has a switch that allows you to disable the semi passive mode entirely. It's not as quiet as the HX, but will most likely be fine. You can check if they are quiet enough by comparing their noise graphs on Cybenetics.

Hi all,

Using a new XPG Cybercore II 1300w power supply and having an issue where the ramps up really loudly every 5mins or so minutes then back down to normal again while gaming. 

If I need to swap PSU, could anyone recommend a good PSU that doesn't have the annoying "smart" fan curve...

13900k x 3090

(rant: I love PC building, but man it seems like never ending issues sometimes...)

52 minutes ago, Nate19 said:

If it's possible to mount it with the fan side up, try that. With semi passive PSUs, the heat should rise up, and away from the thermistor, allowing it to stay passive for longer. It could also help by providing some airflow from the rest of the PC through the PSU. If it's already mounted fan side up, or if it's not possible, you could try to undervolt or otherwise reduce the PC's power consumption so it's able to always stay passive. If you prefer for the fan to just always be on, you could increase it enough for it to always force the PSU to run with its fan on.

56 minutes ago, Nate19 said:

The issue isn't that it's a "smart" or semi passive fan curve, it's that it's too dumb. Some PSUs have hysteresis for the fan speed, exactly to prevent the issue you're having. If budget is no concern, something like the Corsair AX1600i or HX1500i would be decent options. The HX850 for $135 is a good option, imo, and should be enough for your specs. The reason I recommend those is that I know they have a MCU as the fan controller, and have hysteresis, and they are also fairly quiet. If you need a 12VHRPWR connector, Corsair has a $20 cable for that. The Thermaltake GF3 850W for $110 after rebate is also good. It has an MCU for fan control, but it also has a switch that allows you to disable the semi passive mode entirely. It's not as quiet as the HX, but will most likely be fine. You can check if they are quiet enough by comparing their noise graphs on Cybenetics.

:)

@seon123 I went with the corsair HX1000i. Seems like it has quieter operation under load according to Cybenetics.

Returning XPG Cybercore II