Quiet-ish build... Supermicro CSE-846

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Storage server for my VMware ESXi host

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

My esxi host specs: Supermicro 743 chassis, redundant PWS-920P-SQ PSUs, X9DR3-F, dual xeon E5-2620 (v2) would be adequate, 256 GB RAM, and currenly H700 raid with pairs of 4TB drives in Raid 1 config.

(I only want to run Raid 1. Period.)

My esxi host runs a small number of VMs: 1x Windows DC, 1x Exchange 2010 singe host, 1x Windows server for fileshare, 1x Windows server for misc things, and 1x Windows 10 desktop.

I need to build a storage server for my ESXi host.... My plan is to migrate my VMs from the H700 DAS storage to the storage server. NFS/iSCSI I do not mind what storage networking used.

All my servers exist in a 2nd bedroom in an appartment... so no screaming data center fans allowed! (MY Supermicro 743 chassis is heavily modified with noctua fans to provide enough airflow and manage to be quieter than my existing 8x 4TB WDC Gold drives)

I regret I waited so long to buy a used Supermicro CSE-846 chassis. A few years ago there were LOTS of options! These days the 846 chassis is rare.

I am really impressed with my 2x Super Micro 920W "PWS-920P-SQ" power supplies: 80 Plus Platinum + redundant + quieter than hard drives!!!

I like the 846 chassis because it has more drive bays than I need... so I can space out my drives and get air.

I also like the 846 chassis because it has A LOT of room inside to swap fans out for quieter ones.

Unless I stumble across a left over CSE-846 unicorn of chassis.................... I may need to look for alternatives.

Quiet server inspirations: