HARD NUT TO CRACK: USB devices "crash" or reset randomly

Hello guys,

I got a problem that really grinds my gears and I've been on it for months now...

When I am gaming (and sometimes also when I am browsing or skyping) almost all my USB devices loose contact for 3-4 seconds and reconnect after 3 or 4 more seconds. It happens about once every 2 hours but somtimes twice an hour and sometimes not for a whole day.

This is my hardware:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D
MB: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: 2x 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 6000 CL16
GPU: XFX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc Edition

PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W 80Gold
Custom Watercooling with 7 Fans, one D5 pump, aquacomputer quadro and highflow next and a 8 inch aida64 control screen in the case

I have both 8pin CPU power and the 24pin fully plugged in.

Peripherals: Corsair K95RGB keyboard, Logitech X56 HOTAS, Logitech G502X mouse with powerplay, Corsair Virtuoso Headset with RGB stand, Logitech USB stereo speakers, Tobii eye tracker and two stream decks.

The X56 HOTAS is plugged into the monitor hub and the monitor is plugged into the USB 3.1 rear I/O. The keyboard (cable) and the mouse (dongle) are also in seperate 2.0 or 3.1 ports in the rear I/O. The stream decks are plugged in over a passsive USB-C dongle into the first USB 4 port on the rear I/O. The Tobii eyetracker, webcam and Logitech speakers are plugged over a active (wallplug powered) USB-C hub into the second USB 4 port on the rear I/O.

When the problem accures ONLY the mouse, the webcam and all the devices IN the case still work. Keyboard, Stream Decks, headsetstand (with headset donge in it), Tobii eyetracker and the HOTAS do not!

The errors I get over Windows event viewer are linked to the post.

My search for the kernel error I get brought no usable insight.

I hope some of you can help me find a hint or even a solution...

Thanks a lot in advance and cheers from Switzerland.

Martin

Crash Kernel 14.07..jpg

Crash Kernel 15.07..jpg

Crash Kernel 18.07. Details 1.jpg

Crash Kernel 18.07. Details 2.jpg

Crash Kernel 19.07..jpg

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D | Motherboard: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 6000 MHz CL30 2x16GB | GPU: AMD XFX 7900 XTX
Case: BeQuiet Dark Base 900 Pro rev.2 | PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 11 1000W
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 32:9 1440p

34 minutes ago, MS Eierfeile said:

Hello guys,

I got a problem that really grinds my gears and I've been on it for months now...

When I am gaming (and sometimes also when I am browsing or skyping) almost all my USB devices loose contact for 3-4 seconds and reconnect after 3 or 4 more seconds. It happens about once every 2 hours but somtimes twice an hour and sometimes not for a whole day.

This is my hardware:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D
MB: MSI MPG X670E Carbon WiFi
RAM: 2x 16GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 6000 CL16
GPU: XFX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc Edition

PSU: BeQuiet Straight Power 1000W 80Gold
Custom Watercooling with 7 Fans, one D5 pump, aquacomputer quadro and highflow next and a 8 inch aida64 control screen in the case

I have both 8pin CPU power and the 24pin fully plugged in.

Peripherals: Corsair K95RGB keyboard, Logitech X56 HOTAS, Logitech G502X mouse with powerplay, Corsair Virtuoso Headset with RGB stand, Logitech USB stereo speakers, Tobii eye tracker and two stream decks.

The X56 HOTAS is plugged into the monitor hub and the monitor is plugged into the USB 3.1 rear I/O. The keyboard (cable) and the mouse (dongle) are also in seperate 2.0 or 3.1 ports in the rear I/O. The stream decks are plugged in over a passsive USB-C dongle into the first USB 4 port on the rear I/O. The Tobii eyetracker, webcam and Logitech speakers are plugged over a active (wallplug powered) USB-C hub into the second USB 4 port on the rear I/O.

When the problem accures ONLY the mouse, the webcam and all the devices IN the case still work. Keyboard, Stream Decks, headsetstand (with headset donge in it), Tobii eyetracker and the HOTAS do not!

The errors I get over Windows event viewer are linked to the post.

My search for the kernel error I get brought no usable insight.

I hope some of you can help me find a hint or even a solution...

Thanks a lot in advance and cheers from Switzerland.

Martin

Crash Kernel 14.07..jpg

Crash Kernel 15.07..jpg

Crash Kernel 18.07. Details 1.jpg

Crash Kernel 18.07. Details 2.jpg

Crash Kernel 19.07..jpg

Go into Windows Advanced power settings then go to USB settings then to USB selective suspend setting then disable that option. Also look at your BIOS settings and disable USB power saving setting. 

1 hour ago, billorwill said:

Go into Windows Advanced power settings then go to USB settings then to USB selective suspend setting then disable that option. Also look at your BIOS settings and disable USB power saving setting. 

Thx for the input. Both good points. But both are already set as you recommended. No power savin in BIOS and PowerSetting in Windows is "Ultra Performance".

Storage: Samsung 990 Pro + Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TBGB M.2 + Samsung 970 Evo 1TB M.2 + Seagate Ironwolf 8TB HDD
Watercooling: EKWM Quantum Velocity2 + Alphacool Aurora D5 + Alphacool GPU Block
Radiators & Fans: 420/30 copper rad + 360/30 copper rad all Silent Wings 4 Pro @ 40%
Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB | Mouse: Logitech G502X Plus | Mousepad: Logitech Powerplay | Headset: Corsair Virtuoso XT

If you can, try turning the computer off, flip the switch on the back of the power supply so it won’t turn on, hit the power button a couple times, then flip the power supply switch again and turn the PC on. 

This will drain the capacitors in the system and it usually fixes my USB issues on AMD boards. I suspect AMD has hardware issues with their USB implementation because ryzen has been plagued by them and no amount of motherboard BIOS revisions have ever worked for me. 

7 hours ago, Exoskeleton sarcophagus said:

If you can, try turning the computer off, flip the switch on the back of the power supply so it won’t turn on, hit the power button a couple times, then flip the power supply switch again and turn the PC on. 

This will drain the capacitors in the system and it usually fixes my USB issues on AMD boards.

Interesting theory. But since I also deactivate the powerplug after I shut down my system and have the BIOS set to "boot at AC power on" the capacitors get drained every night after using the computer. But thanks for the answer 😊👍

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Problem solved!!!
In another forum someone pointed me towards iCue software being the prime suspect in combination with the AMD CPU.

So I researched in this direction and really the culprid was the Corsair ST100 headset stand! According to the Corsair forums there are reports all the way back to 2020 stating that the USB controller crashes with or without BODs when you have the ST100, the iCUE software and a Ryzen CPU. I am shocked that the problem isn't resolved yet.

ST100Pic.jpg.495c666ff5a599ed29e40f275935f500.jpg

But hey, I thought! I already tried unplugging all USB deviced except mouse and keyboard! Turns out unplugging isn't enough! You also have to remove the device in the iCue software!!!

iCUEST100entfernen.thumb.jpg.2ff0d7cd000eccd8516c1bab4a5554c6.jpg

Now I am 7 days without those annoying USB crashes which accured every 1-2 hours for months!!!

Thanks for your answers and have a good one!