32 bit NAS operating system or Pentium 4 upgrade

Go to solution Solved by 1f58dda2b,

I found a dell optiplex with an i5 2400 for a reasonable price anyway.

I have an old 32 bit (Celeron D 335J) gaming PC from 2004 running Windows XP. What's the best software to turn it into a NAS? Or can I get a cheap upgrade to a 64-bit Pentium 4? 

your best best is to probably run debian on it and configure services manually instead of using off the shelf storage oriented software. You will be limited significantly by the platform you are on.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

Just now, Levent said:

your best best is to probably run debian on it and configure services manually instead of using off the shelf storage oriented software. You will be limited significantly by the platform you are on.

I have found a 64 bit pentium 4 for £6 gbp on ebay, wondering if I could upgrade?

Actually I just remembered that the system uses IDE so I can't attach a modern SATA drive so I guess ill find something else edit: I can use a USB to sata adapter

Just now, 1f58dda2b said:

I have found a 64 bit pentium 4 for £6 gbp on ebay, wondering if I could upgrade?

I am not sure if you can upgrade as 775 upgrades has other considerations (like chipset compatibility). You are talking about 20 year old hardware, you will be limited by RAM, CPU and maybe even software compatibility.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

2 hours ago, 1f58dda2b said:

That depends on what motherboard you have. A Pentium 4 from the same era will probably work, but any Core 2 would be a much better upgrade if your board can take one. 

What kind of budget are you working with?

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

Many modern software packages may require instruction sets the P4 simply doesn’t have. I started running into that problem with my I7-970 a couple years ago, and that is several generations newer than a P4.

17 minutes ago, 1f58dda2b said:

I found a dell optiplex with an i5 2400 for a reasonable price anyway.

Nice! You'll be much happier with it overall, and it will pay for itself in power savings compared to the dinosaur.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.