Have a new (old) record player and need advice

Jimb0b

I’ve inherited a Dual CS 508 I would really like to use.  I understand I need a receiver and speakers and I have absolutely zero idea of what I should get or where to start. But I want to learn and use it. Any advice for a 300 dollar budget?7948C945-14FA-4A16-9811-6738ECB1A4C0.thumb.jpeg.445e1fba44f2d95906dbda23fc6569f7.jpeg

This turntable may be a bit questionable just going off of the visual conditon.

Youll need a DN 155e cartridge stylus and theyre not super common so you may need to look around for one thats not 100$+

Unless the stylus thats on there is in really good shape, but with how dirty that is and it not having the dust cover, i would be wary of it.

The turntable isnt so old as to need new belts unless its been stored somewhere hot and humid, so i wouldnt worry about that.

It does not have an integrated preamp so youll need one of a few options

1) a receiver with a phono input

2) a dedicated phono preamp

3) powered speakers with a phono input

If youre doing the turntable on its own and not integrating it into anything else, powered speakers with a phono input makes that pretty easy as you dont need a receiver or amp or anything, its all just built into the speakers.

I use a pair of Klipsch R41 PM's, theyre not fancy at all but theyre a decent enough set of powered speakers for around 250-300$ and its what id recommend for something like this, though sometimes you can get Triangle Borea BR03's for around 300$ and theyre a decent step up. Theres a lot of options for powered bookshelf speakers in that price range so compare reviews and features and find something you like.

11 minutes ago, 8tg said:

Youll need a DN 155e cartridge stylus and theyre not super common so you may need to look around for one thats not 100$+

Unless the stylus thats on there is in really good shape, but with how dirty that is and it not having the dust cover, i would be wary of it.

The turntable isnt so old as to need new belts unless its been stored somewhere hot and humid, so i wouldnt worry about that.

If youre doing the turntable on its own and not integrating it into anything else, powered speakers with a phono input makes that pretty easy as you dont need a receiver or amp or anything, its all just built into the speakers.

I use a pair of Klipsch R41 PM's, theyre not fancy at all but theyre a decent enough set of powered speakers for around 250-300$ and its what id recommend for something like this, though sometimes you can get Triangle Borea BR03's for around 300$ and theyre a decent step up. Theres a lot of options for powered bookshelf speakers in that price range so compare reviews and features and find something you like.

As far as condition it was admittedly in the styrofoam of its original box. Hopefully that means it wasn’t banged around 

28 minutes ago, Jimb0b said:

As far as condition it was admittedly in the styrofoam of its original box. Hopefully that means it wasn’t banged around 

Then the stylus will probably still be fine though I’d give it a proper inspection to make sure it’s undamaged. You’ll know pretty quick playing a record if it’s in bad shape as well.

1 hour ago, 8tg said:

I couldn't decide if I should react "informative" or "agree".  Because this is out of my realm but all of my educated guesses point to exactly your post as the solution.

Since you didn't touch on it explicitly, I would say that you could get some sort of amplification, whether that is an AVR or a stand alone amp.  It depends on what the OP is looking for long term.  Powered monitors could work for a more diverse setup but keep in mind that multiple in single out switches are to my knowledge not a thing.  I've even e-mailed schiit about their one in multiple out solutions asking if they work backwards and they said no, schiit is always willing to refer to other companies if it does something they don't and you need it so I would imagine this is not a thing.  So if you need or want more than one input IE: the turn table I would look into I guess an AVR.  Short of converting back to digital to get to a dac (typical input switching these days) I think you need a AVR.  Even an old one without HDMI will do the trick and allow for input switching.

I think dedicated powered studio monitors or and AVR are your best bet.  Unless someone knows of another way to receive and switch between analog and potentially digital inputs.

Open-Back - Sennheiser 6xx - Focal Elex - Phillips Fidelio X3 - Harmonicdyne Zeus -  Beyerdynamic DT1990 - *HiFi-man HE400i (2017) - *Phillips shp9500 - *SoundMAGIC HP200

Semi-Open - Beyerdynamic DT880-600 - Fostex T50RP - *AKG K240 studio

Closed-Back - Rode NTH-100 - Meze 99 Neo - AKG K361-BT - Blue Microphones Lola - *Beyerdynamic DT770-80 - *Meze 99 Noir - *Blon BL-B60 *Hifiman R7dx

On-Ear - Koss KPH30iCL Grado - Koss KPH30iCL Yaxi - Koss KPH40 Yaxi

IEM - Tin HiFi T2 - MoonDrop Quarks - Tangzu Wan'er S.G - Moondrop Chu - QKZ x HBB - 7HZ Salnotes Zero

Headset Turtle Beach Stealth 700 V2 + xbox adapter - *Sennheiser Game One - *Razer Kraken Pro V2

DAC S.M.S.L SU-9

Class-D dac/amp Topping DX7 - Schiit Fulla E - Fosi Q4 - *Sybasonic SD-DAC63116

Class-D amp Topping A70

Class-A amp Emotiva A-100 - Xduoo MT-602 (hybrid tube)

Pure Tube amp Darkvoice 336SE - Little dot MKII - Nobsound Little Bear P7

Audio Interface Rode AI-1

Portable Amp Xduoo XP2-pro - *Truthear SHIO - *Fiio BTR3K BTR3Kpro 

Mic Rode NT1 - *Antlion Mod Mic - *Neego Boom Mic - *Vmoda Boom Mic

Pads ZMF - Dekoni - Brainwavz - Shure - Yaxi - Grado - Wicked Cushions

Cables Hart Audio Cables - Periapt Audio Cables

Speakers Kef Q950 - Micca RB42 - Jamo S803 - Crown XLi1500 (power amp class A)

*given as gift or out of commission

48 minutes ago, Psittac said:

I couldn't decide if I should react "informative" or "agree".  Because this is out of my realm but all of my educated guesses point to exactly your post as the solution.

Since you didn't touch on it explicitly, I would say that you could get some sort of amplification, whether that is an AVR or a stand alone amp.  It depends on what the OP is looking for long term.  Powered monitors could work for a more diverse setup but keep in mind that multiple in single out switches are to my knowledge not a thing.  I've even e-mailed schiit about their one in multiple out solutions asking if they work backwards and they said no, schiit is always willing to refer to other companies if it does something they don't and you need it so I would imagine this is not a thing.  So if you need or want more than one input IE: the turn table I would look into I guess an AVR.  Short of converting back to digital to get to a dac (typical input switching these days) I think you need a AVR.  Even an old one without HDMI will do the trick and allow for input switching.

I think dedicated powered studio monitors or and AVR are your best bet.  Unless someone knows of another way to receive and switch between analog and potentially digital inputs.

For the sake of multiple inputs, most powered bookshelf speakers can do that too

IMG_6450.thumb.jpeg.1a170d5aa1f089c28c505da3598a730c.jpeg

this just has a source selector either using the knob or the remote to choose between optical, usb, aux or rca, and then the rca input has a toggle for either line level or phono

For that low budget, i would look at used receivers and speakers. You can get a lot and pretty good quality for that amount of money. Especially used, unpowered speakers can be of incredible quality for your money. But you have the risk of defects and in most cases no digital inputs, which you might not need anyway.

It looks like it might be a moot point. I’ve been trying to get the thing to turn on for a few hours now without luck. Could be I’m missing something dead easy but it just doesn’t turn. I opened up the bottom and it’s super clean down there though. Do you have to ground these for them to work or could there be some other reason it wouldn’t want to go?

On 8/6/2023 at 4:15 PM, Jimb0b said:

It looks like it might be a moot point. I’ve been trying to get the thing to turn on for a few hours now without luck. Could be I’m missing something dead easy but it just doesn’t turn. I opened up the bottom and it’s super clean down there though. Do you have to ground these for them to work or could there be some other reason it wouldn’t want to go?

By 'wouldn't want to go' do you mean the platter (the thing the vinyl sits on) won't spin? Or it won't produce sound. If the platter isn't spinning, it's either a dead/seized motor or a broken belt. You'd have to remove the platter to inspect. Typically this is done by removing the slipmat (the rubber bit on the top of the platter), and there should be some holes for you to stick your fingers into, and a way to access the belt. Don't just pull up on the platter, being that it's a belt drive, you should see a belt looping around the bottom of the platter somewhere through previously mentioned holes. If the belt is broken/missing, you'll be able to tell. This video should help with the belt replacement instructions: 

I didn't watch this next video, but this could be useful for troubleshooting it not starting up:

3 hours ago, Omon_Ra said:

By 'wouldn't want to go' do you mean the platter (the thing the vinyl sits on) won't spin? Or it won't produce sound. If the platter isn't spinning, it's either a dead/seized motor or a broken belt. You'd have to remove the platter to inspect. Typically this is done by removing the slipmat (the rubber bit on the top of the platter), and there should be some holes for you to stick your fingers into, and a way to access the belt. Don't just pull up on the platter, being that it's a belt drive, you should see a belt looping around the bottom of the platter somewhere through previously mentioned holes. If the belt is broken/missing, you'll be able to tell. This video should help with the belt replacement instructions: 

I didn't watch this next video, but this could be useful for troubleshooting it not starting up:

Yeah. Not even trying to turn. Belt is good to go. I opened up the bottom too and it’s super clean. Nothing obviously out of place

This might be slightly going over budget if you don't have all the cables/wires but:
2x JBL 305p MKII. 

Not sure if you'd need something specifically for phono out for your unit (you probably do). I view record players as a bunch of people seeking out nostalgia while ignoring the fact that records can't do proper stereo sound and ALWAYS have a small to moderate background hiss. There are instances where the digital mastering of a song is butchered while the record isn't (easy to just hit "MAX LOUDNESS") and this hurts dynamic range. This is becoming somewhat less common though and records inherently have limited dynamic range (70dB for records vs ~120dB for well encoded digital, the latter being near the human hearing threshold and with peak volumes WELL above what you can safely listen to)

3900x | 32GB RAM | RTX 2080

1.5TB Optane P4800X | 2TB Micron 1100 SSD | 16TB NAS w/ 10Gbe
QN90A | Polk R200, ELAC OW4.2, PB12-NSD, SB1000, HD800