New build, new parts ... getting bitlocker warning ... help

Pitboy64

Hey,

- Asus TUF b650 Plus wifi
- AMD Ryzen7 7800X3D
- Corsair vengence 6000t/ms RAM
cooler, 1000w PSU, etc.

All parts new, straight from manufacturer, nothing refurb as far as I know, etc.

Sitting on box on table like a test bench to troubleshoot, setup, update bios, install windows, etc ... before dropping in a case, adding GPU etc.

Turned rig on, have updated bios on thumbdrive plugged in, followed bios menu to EZ flash utility, select c orrect file ... and I get the:

-----------

"IMPORTANT NOTICE!!! 
Please back up Bitlocker recovery key and suspend Bitlocker encryption in the operating system before updating bios.  To avoid unpredictable situations, please load default settings before updating the bios."

-----------

This system has never had a windows install waved in its general direction, much less installed so I can go there and turn off Bitlocker encryption.

I have read elsewhere that not adhering to this need could in fact encrypt the computer and pretty much lock it up ... paper weight ... but how to I turn off Bitlocker in windows, if windows isnt installed?

THE QUESTION ... and if 2 or more people can chime in with the same answer, I would move forward:

- Is this a default bios update message everyone will see on first bootup and bios upgrade, even brand new builds that have no windows install, and I can ignore this terrifying message, update the bios and continue with the setup as per ... always??

- Has this MB been installed as a windows system previously (ie: refurbished), with a different CPU and I opened a can of worms here?  If so, what to do?

Not touching anything till the good people here sound off.

6 minutes ago, Pitboy64 said:

Is this a default bios update message everyone will see on first bootup and bios upgrade, even brand new builds that have no windows install, and I can ignore this terrifying message, update the bios and continue with the setup as per ... always??

Yes. 

6 minutes ago, Pitboy64 said:

Has this MB been installed as a windows system previously (ie: refurbished), with a different CPU and I opened a can of worms here?  If so, what to do?

Possible, but not likely. I've seen this on a few brand new boards since TPMs started being enabled by default thanks to Windows 11. It's a scary message, but it's a pretty common scary message that doesn't mean much unless you had already enabled Bitlocker. 

8 minutes ago, Pitboy64 said:

I have read elsewhere that not adhering to this need could in fact encrypt the computer and pretty much lock it up ... paper weight ... but how to I turn off Bitlocker in windows, if windows isnt installed?

Either the site you read this from is wrong or you misinterpreted it slightly. It's not the computer itself that will become a paperweight, it's the Windows install that would become broken. If you had Bitlocker enabled, you'll boot into Windows, it'll ask for a recovery key, and if you don't have one you'll be forced to format the drive and reinstall to be able to use said drive for a Windows OS. If you never enabled Bitlocker or even installed Windows, nothing will happen. 

4 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

Yes. 

Possible, but not likely. I've seen this on a few brand new boards since TPMs started being enabled by default thanks to Windows 11. It's a scary message, but it's a pretty common scary message that doesn't mean much unless you had already enabled Bitlocker. 

Either the site you read this from is wrong or you misinterpreted it slightly. It's not the computer itself that will become a paperweight, it's the Windows install that would become broken. If you had Bitlocker enabled, you'll boot into Windows, it'll ask for a recovery key, and if you don't have one you'll be forced to format the drive and reinstall to be able to use said drive for a Windows OS. If you never enabled Bitlocker or even installed Windows, nothing will happen. 

Whew ... kinda figured, I just didnt need the potential scare.
Very unkind message to drop on ya ... makes you stop and reassess.