How to enable 165Hz on my AOC monitor?

RenownnX

Hey guys, 

I got a very good discount on an AOC CU34G2XP monitor (half the original price). For some reference, here's some quick specs:

3440 x 1440 px

21:9 1500R

165Hz VA

I want to bring your attention to the "165Hz" refresh rate. I plug in my laptop (a Legion 5 with a Ryzen 7 5800H and RX 6600M) via HDMI but somehow I can't output 165Hz on the AOC monitor. I tried changing it via Windows display settings and it only brings up a maximum of 100Hz. Does anyone know why this happens? Is it the GPU bottleneck or the HDMI cable? Or is there some hidden settings that I should enable first? (I'm not familiar with AMD GPUs and their Adrenalin software)

Thank you 

HDMI 2.0, it won't do 165Hz at that res. Use DisplayPort. If you don't have native DisplayPort, the hope the laptop has a Type C port that supports USB Type C DP Alt mode and buy a cheap adapter. Example: https://a.co/d/cSKA6fM 

AOC's website is garbage or i'd post the page from the PDF manual that probably has a table showing what resolutions and refresh rates work on each input. 

This is infuriating. 

image.thumb.png.8c4c483c1b0876daab319dcb8fd6ace2.png

edit

image.png.223c8fd1e59787f413bea004d1d197c4.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2023 at 2:27 AM, GuiltySpark_ said:

HDMI 2.0, it won't do 165Hz at that res. Use DisplayPort. If you don't have native DisplayPort, the hope the laptop has a Type C port that supports USB Type C DP Alt mode and buy a cheap adapter. Example: https://a.co/d/cSKA6fM 

AOC's website is garbage or i'd post the page from the PDF manual that probably has a table showing what resolutions and refresh rates work on each input. 

This is infuriating. 

image.thumb.png.8c4c483c1b0876daab319dcb8fd6ace2.png

edit

image.png.223c8fd1e59787f413bea004d1d197c4.png

Thanks for the insight man! I saw that HDMI 2.0 could do 1440p 144Hz so I thought I was able to get at least 120Hz, but I just realized how wide this thing is and how it affects it. Probably going to get a DP to USBC connector soon.