Installed 16 gig (2x8Gb) 3200mhz DDR4 ram into an ASRock A320 Mobo that has a ryzen 3 3200G and now it won't post

Go to solution Solved by WereCat,

Did you reset CMOS after inserting new RAM?

Just like the title says, I replaced 2x4 gig sticks with 2x8 gig sticks, the previous sticks were at 3000mhz and the new ones are at 3200mhz both were DDR4, what could the problem be? I tried reseatting them, nothing, I tried using the old ones and they worked, what could the issue be?

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That's a thing? I've never had to do that before, alright let me find the button thingy and I'll lyk! I hope that's the issue.

4 minutes ago, WereCat said:

That's a thing? I've never had to do that before, alright let me find the button thingy and I'll lyk! I hope that's the issue.

16 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

Yes, it's very likely you need to retrain the memory settings and you can't boot because the parameters are set for your old kit and it's very unstable with the new one.

22 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Yeah it didnt work, it seems to be something with the video output or something, it doesnt even show the BIOS, after I cleared the CMOS it showed the BIOS for a bit and I thought it was fixed, but when I went to reboot, nothing.

3 minutes ago, Rocgio40 said:

Yeah it didnt work, it seems to be something with the video output or something, it doesnt even show the BIOS, after I cleared the CMOS it showed the BIOS for a bit and I thought it was fixed, but when I went to reboot, nothing.

But you've said that putting back the old RAM makes it work again so if it was an issue with a video output I don't see how that is related to DRAM.

There is also the possibility the new RAM is faulty but having both sticks to be faulty is quite unlikely so I recommend to try each stick separately in each slot, see if you can get it to boot.

1 hour ago, WereCat said:

But you've said that putting back the old RAM makes it work again so if it was an issue with a video output I don't see how that is related to DRAM.

There is also the possibility the new RAM is faulty but having both sticks to be faulty is quite unlikely so I recommend to try each stick separately in each slot, see if you can get it to boot.

Alright, I tried each individual stick and.. nothing so I said screw it and tried to reset the CMOS again, I shorted the thingies because there isnt a button on this mobo, nor is there a plastic jumper that they give you like it says in the instructions, had to use the ol screwdriver short. 

I unplugged the powersupply, and just kind of repeated all the steps until the BIOS showed up again, I configured the ram and this time it just posted like normal, so.. idk what the deal was. I appreciate your advice and now I know to reset the CMOS, and to just buy 2x8gb ram from the start rather than think that 2x4gb would be enough. (It's for my moms PC and I didn't think she would actually use up that much ram, but yknow, chrome...)