Wondering if I should upgrade.

Go to solution Solved by Bagzie,

The 5600X is definitely a noticeable upgrade. However i do feel like its a half measure and you will get superior results running the 3700X (Which is still a good CPU) and saving up the extra for a 5800X3D.

Your platform is end of life and i just think you should try to extend it as much as possible with the absolute best CPU for gaming that you can grab , It's your call either way and a 5600X is like i and others have said a nice improvement but a 3600X to a 5800X3D is going to give you a CPU that still competes with the latest gen in gaming workloads.

According to toms hardware a 3700X at max load is using 90w and a 5800X3D 110w so it does use more for sure but i doubt very much 20w will make a massive impact to your PSU wattage budget , Especially considering you will be using it for gaming and it likely wont be running at 100% utilisation most of the time.

A 550W PSU would be able to handle a 5800X3D and RTX4070 quite comfortably , Maybe even a 4070ti but that depends on what sort of quality the PSU is , You will need to stay away from AMD 7900 series and 4080 and up but you will need to upgrade your PSU for those regardless of what CPU you have.

Hope this helped somewhat.

EDIT Misread OP's CPU as a 3600X , Rest still stands.

Thanks for reading!

So I think the 2nd pc in the house has the following.
Cpu: 3700x

Gpu galax 3070 8gb

ram: 16gb (I think 3200 ( running it at stock, that what I remember, been a while since I checked))

Mb: B450M Pro4-F

I am not worried about the gpu this year. I was thinking of replacing that at the end of next year( or next gen). But it is the cpu I am thinking of replacing it with is the 5600x. Was thinking 5700x But It doesn't seem too different. besides the cores. Which I don't think will be needed.

As the computer does some coding, some word and excel processing, internet browsing but mostly gaming.  I think it is cause I need a fresh install, but games are starting to lag or have frame stutters occasionally. 

Any thoughts and oppinions would be greatly welcomed. 
J

If im not mistaking the 3600x is still a beast of a cpu I mean not like the latest ofc nor for the AAA games ig but still will do the job fine. I would first try to like optimize the pc in the sense of messing with windows and ingame settings to ensure stability. But if you want to upgrade sure a 5600x will be a great choice plus long term should give you atleast 5 years of usage

The best you can do with that board is the 5800X3D. In most games its better than the 5700X and quite the upgrade to the 3700X.

14 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

Thanks for reading!

So I think the 2nd pc in the house has the following.
Cpu: 3700x

Gpu galax 3070 8gb

ram: 16gb (I think 3200 ( running it at stock, that what I remember, been a while since I checked))

Mb: B450M Pro4-F

I am not worried about the gpu this year. I was thinking of replacing that at the end of next year( or next gen). But it is the cpu I am thinking of replacing it with is the 5600x. Was thinking 5700x But It doesn't seem too different. besides the cores. Which I don't think will be needed.

As the computer does some coding, some word and excel processing, internet browsing but mostly gaming.  I think it is cause I need a fresh install, but games are starting to lag or have frame stutters occasionally. 

Any thoughts and oppinions would be greatly welcomed. 
J

The 3700x is still a decent chip but the 5600x is definitely a decent improvement, and is absolutely recommended if you plan on upgrading the GPU to something more powerful later. Here is a comparison, I timed it at the gaming benchmark. This is with an RTX 3090.

The 5800X3D is the best AM4 CPU for gaming and still keeps up with current gen gaming CPU's quite well. 

8 minutes ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Thanks for the reply. The best you can do with that board is the 5800X3D. In most games its better than the 5700X and quite the upgrade to the 3700X.

Yeah but I I don't want to also upgrade the psu as well. as I only have  a 550w psu in there

The 5600X is definitely a noticeable upgrade. However i do feel like its a half measure and you will get superior results running the 3700X (Which is still a good CPU) and saving up the extra for a 5800X3D.

Your platform is end of life and i just think you should try to extend it as much as possible with the absolute best CPU for gaming that you can grab , It's your call either way and a 5600X is like i and others have said a nice improvement but a 3600X to a 5800X3D is going to give you a CPU that still competes with the latest gen in gaming workloads.

According to toms hardware a 3700X at max load is using 90w and a 5800X3D 110w so it does use more for sure but i doubt very much 20w will make a massive impact to your PSU wattage budget , Especially considering you will be using it for gaming and it likely wont be running at 100% utilisation most of the time.

A 550W PSU would be able to handle a 5800X3D and RTX4070 quite comfortably , Maybe even a 4070ti but that depends on what sort of quality the PSU is , You will need to stay away from AMD 7900 series and 4080 and up but you will need to upgrade your PSU for those regardless of what CPU you have.

Hope this helped somewhat.

EDIT Misread OP's CPU as a 3600X , Rest still stands.

CPU : Ryzen 7 7800X3D @ -18mv all core except -13mv on Core 5 because its a pig.

CPU Cooler : Deepcool AK620 Zero Dark

Mobo : MSI B650M-A Wifi MATX

Ram : 32GB (2X16GB) Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000MHZ CL34

GPU : Reference Design RX7900XT sold by Saphire running at 1050MV undervolt and +15% PL (355w)

Storage : 1TB WD SN770 + 2TB Samsung 970 Evo

PSU : Corsair HX750w Platinum

Case : Asus Prime AP201 All Mesh MATX

Case Fans : Arctic p12's everywhere i can fit them in , 7 In total.

Monitor : LG 27GP850-B.BEK 1440p Nano IPS 180Hz

Keyboard : HyperX Alloy Core RGB

Mouse : Corsair M65 Elite RGB

Headset : Corsair HS35 Gaming Headset

Just overclock your 3700x, though ive heard earlier samples struggle getting past 4.2g whereas later cpus can do abit over 4.5ghz

as for voltages you can set either 1.3v or 1.4v llc off (so itll vdroop to around 1.25/1.35v under load), usually around 1.3v is best for v/f aka efficiency

9 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

The 3700x is still a decent chip but the 5600x is definitely a decent improvement, and is absolutely recommended if you plan on upgrading the GPU to something more powerful later. Here is a comparison, I timed it at the gaming benchmark. This is with an RTX 3090.

The 5800X3D is the best AM4 CPU for gaming and still keeps up with current gen gaming CPU's quite well. 

Thanks for the reply. It is a secondary pc which I just want to keep relevent for a few mor years, till I fully upgrade it. I want to spend as little as possble . So while 5800x3D would be an awesome upgrade for my main pc. Its not justified. For this build .  Yeah, i actually looked at that befor posting here. I know there would be improvements to both cpus ( software level) from the time the video was posed and I tried to do a cost analsys like he did. With the prices I can get each for. the 3700x is priced at used prices in my area.

5600x 3700x            
       221,230    179,000            

cine 4462       49.58 4884              37     35%
Adobe 746      296.55 766            234     27%
STR 159    1,391.38 129          1,388     0%
ALL game total 205    1,079.17 172          1,041     4%

6 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Just overclock your 3700x, though ive heard earlier samples struggle getting past 4.2g whereas later cpus can do abit over 4.5ghz

as for voltages you can set either 1.3v or 1.4v llc off (so itll vdroop to around 1.25/1.35v under load), usually around 1.3v is best for v/f aka efficiency

Interesting. Do you think the board will handle it?

4 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

Yeah but I I don't want to also upgrade the psu as well. as I only have  a 550w psu in there

It will most probably work, the 5800X3D with all that cache is quite efficient.  If it doesn`t go into the Bios and set it to ECO mode, which will set it to more or less the same power budget your 3700X has right now. Since its biggest plus is the cache, it should still be faster than a 5600X.

2 minutes ago, Stin6667 said:

It is a secondary pc which I just want to keep relevent for a few mor years, till I fully upgrade it. I want to spend as little as possble . So while 5800x3D would be an awesome upgrade for my main pc. Its not justified. For this build . 

Sorry, i didn`t read that in time. In this case the 5600X is a good choice.

1 minute ago, Heats with Nvidia said:

Sorry, i didn`t read that in time. In this case the 5600X is a good choice.

No worries 🙂

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Itll be fine

Thanks I will give it a try this weekend.