New PSU buzzing noise.

Eric_T
Go to solution Solved by OddOod,

This is coil whine. It can go away over time, or get worse. If it's untenable, you can contact customer support for an RMA.

Hi everyone.

I bought a new MSI MPG A850GF to replace my two months old Corsair CV750.

After changing to the new PSU, there's a loud buzzing noise in comparison to my previous PSU that is inaudible.

All pc components are the same before and after the PSU change.

I am sure that the sound is from the new PSU. Whenever i switch on the main switch, it started buzzing. Switching on the secondary switch on the PSU and boot the pc gives the same noise.

The noise only dissapear once the "main" switch is turned off.

Turning off secondary switch on the PSU wont make it go away.

A video recording showing the sound before switching on the main switch and after switching on the main switch os attached for references.

Any advice or clarification on this matter is greatly appreciated!

This is coil whine. It can go away over time, or get worse. If it's untenable, you can contact customer support for an RMA.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

This is most probably a case of "coil whine". This is caused by a metal part that is slightly loose and vibrates with the magnetic fields inside the PSU.

The safest way to deal with this problem is to RMA (or return or exchange) your PSU because you can't fix it without opening the metal enclosure and opening that enclosure will void your warranty and pose a serious risk of electrocution.

Good luck !

4 minutes ago, OddOod said:

I see, thanks for the clarification! Im not entirely sure if it's coil whine because at first i thought my case is different since it buzz even when the psu switch is off. Now im sure and have more confidence in requesting for RMA.

Many thanks !

6 minutes ago, Sawa Takahashi said:

This is most probably a case of "coil whine". This is caused by a metal part that is slightly loose and vibrates with the magnetic fields inside the PSU.

The safest way to deal with this problem is to RMA (or return or exchange) your PSU because you can't fix it without opening the metal enclosure and opening that enclosure will void your warranty and pose a serious risk of electrocution.

Good luck !

Thank you for your advices and sharing of knowledge. I couldnt find much information about PSU coil whine specifically only when the "main" switch is on when i googled and searched some of the forums, as most of them is coil whine while operating.

Now that im more sure and know that it could be RMA-ed, i will contact the seller for the RMA process.

Thank you very much!

11 minutes ago, lafrente said:

It's probably arcing. Try to move the plug that goes into the PSU and see if it stops.

Hi, thank you for your reply. i suspected that too. I tried replugging, jolt a little bit and it doesnt makes the sound dissapear. Im thinking of using other power cable from other electrical appliances but im not sure if it's appropriate. As i do not have other PSU power cable for troubleshooting now.

Should i try using other electrical appliances power cable? Thank you!

1 hour ago, Eric_T said:

Hi, thank you for your reply. i suspected that too. I tried replugging, jolt a little bit and it doesnt makes the sound dissapear. Im thinking of using other power cable from other electrical appliances but im not sure if it's appropriate. As i do not have other PSU power cable for troubleshooting now.

Should i try using other electrical appliances power cable? Thank you!

I wouldn't use anything other than PSU cable for PSU just to be safe.