Roast my future setup

Budget (including currency): 2500-3000€

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All kinds of games including very demanding ones like BattleBit

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys!

So my PC just turned 8 years old (although technically I upgraded some parts after that) and is starting to show its age. That being said, it served me extremely well during that time. I bought a relatively high end PC although not technically top of the line because I wanted to be able to use it for about 5 years, and then the whole GPU market crisis came in and forcibly extended its lifespan even more. It has a i7-5820k paired with a GTX 1080 that I bought a bit later. It's still been able to play recent demanding games like Cyberpunk although only at 1080p on low to medium settings. Overall I've been very happy with my purchase, so I kind of want to do the same.

So the goals are :

• To build a PC that'll last me at least 5 years, it should probably be a bit overkill for right now to be a least a bit futureproof. 
  • Going from 1080p med/low to 1440p high/ultra in most games
  • getting more frames in demanding shooters like EFT,
  • Play Starfield and Phantom Liberty with good framerates in 1440p high

I don't really intend to stream, I do intend to do a bit of 3D modelling and coding but nothing very demanding, no 10 hours compiling or stuff like that, I mostly want power for gaming. 

Here's what I've spec'd for now:

Ryzen 7800X3D 519€

Asus Prime x670-P 299€ (PCIe 5.0 seems important for futureproofing)

DDR5 Crucial Pro 5600MHz 2*16GB 129€

RTX 4080, haven't decided which one yet, about 1300€

Noctua NH-D15 129€

Corsair MP-700 1TO NVMe PCIe 5.0 SSD 192€
850W Gigabyte PSU 120€

Case 120€

Total 2800€ 

I'd like your opinion, what's good and what's not, where would you save money and where would you put more? 

Thanks!

Future proofing isn't a thing, please stop saying it.  As such, PCIe 5 isn't worth spending now on, for later maybe.  Direct Storage isn't going to require it, and since SATA SSDs are not noticeable vs NVMe drives... 

So your 192 1TB SSD is going to be wasted.

What case is so cheap it's less expensive than your air cooler?  Why buy such a case, do you not care about build quality or aesthetics? (I don't care, but had to bring some roasting).

4080... unless your renderings specifically need it, why not get the 7900XTX and even up your CPU to a 7900X3D or 7950X3D (as @Agall would like)?

I think you could get more ACTUAL performance for less money.

Mild/Medium Roast.  No acid, full body.

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

21 minutes ago, Dr. FunFrock said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: All kinds of games including very demanding ones like BattleBit

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hey guys!

So my PC just turned 8 years old (although technically I upgraded some parts after that) and is starting to show its age. That being said, it served me extremely well during that time. I bought a relatively high end PC although not technically top of the line because I wanted to be able to use it for about 5 years, and then the whole GPU market crisis came in and forcibly extended its lifespan even more. It has a i7-5820k paired with a GTX 1080 that I bought a bit later. It's still been able to play recent demanding games like Cyberpunk although only at 1080p on low to medium settings. Overall I've been very happy with my purchase, so I kind of want to do the same.

So the goals are :

• To build a PC that'll last me at least 5 years, it should probably be a bit overkill for right now to be a least a bit futureproof. 

I don't really intend to stream, I do intend to do a bit of 3D modelling and coding but nothing very demanding, no 10 hours compiling or stuff like that, I mostly want power for gaming. 

Ryzen 7800X3D 519€

Noctua NH-D15 129€

850W Gigabyte PSU 120€

Case 120€

Total 2800€ 

I'd like your opinion, what's good and what's not, where would you save money and where would you put more? 

Thanks!

X670 doesn't get proper PCIe 5.0 support beside the drive, that's where B650e and X670e come in.

People will say 'PCIe 5.0 16x slots won't matter' yet PCIe 5.0 graphics cards already exist. The RTX 4090 barely saturates a PCIe 4.0 16x lane to justify that, but I wouldn't doubt if we started setting PCIe 5.0 8x cards that do saturate a full PCIe 4.0 8x to justify having PCIe 5.0.

PCIe 5.0 SSDs are probably overkill right now, and even if they aren't, I wouldn't recommend spending 2x the price for it. Coming from someone who bought PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives early and paid over 2x as much for DirectStorage to not even come out yet.

NH-D15 7mm offset bracket should be in the list, if you're unfamiliar. The hotspot on AM5 CPUs isn't centerered and the NH-D15 has a $10 first party bracket that offsets the cooler 7mm lower to better cool the hotspot. The advertised -3C does work in my experience with it on my 7950x3D and NH-D15.

I personally recommend 6000MHz kits with a 36-36-36-76 timing. The higher but tighter timings for 6000 in my opinion provide a more consistent experience that doesn't sacrifice stability. 3D v-cache's main selling point isn't higher framerates in my opinion, but better framerate stability, being higher minimums that create an overall higher average framerate. This isn't conjecture but my experience when testing previous builds but also testing between running a pseudo 7800x3D or 7700x with my 7950x3D down configured, which is as 1:1 as you can humanly get.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

The only times since the introduction of pcie where buying the newest standard was beneficial were:

-The release of PCIe 2.0 where some extremely high end multigpu cards would tap on the upper end of what 1.1 was capable of

-The release of 4.0 which was followed by some low end cards coming in pcie 4x or 8x connections which suffer on pcie 3.0 (ie arc a380, rx6400)

Beyond that there has yet to be a case, especially not for common builds, where having the newest possible bus was worth going for in the lifespan of a pc. By the time PCIe 2.0 would limit new gpus, 3.0 had been out for years and any gpu that youd buy that would be limited by 2.0 would also already be limited by the cpu you paired it with. Example, you bought a Q6600 in 2007 with a PCIe 2.0 board, that wouldnt become a limitation until around the GTX 980ti was a thing, which would be held back by any CPU you could possibly put on that board.

Same applies to today. By the time 4.0 is a limitation, any cpu on pcie 4.0 will be the factor that holds back the gpu, not the bus.

1 hour ago, Dr. FunFrock said:

Hey guys!

So the goals are :

Ryzen 7800X3D 519€

Noctua NH-D15 129€

850W Gigabyte PSU 120€

Case 120€

Total 2800€ 

Thanks!

What country are you located?

26 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Future proofing isn't a thing, please stop saying it.  As such, PCIe 5 isn't worth spending now on, for later maybe.  Direct Storage isn't going to require it, and since SATA SSDs are not noticeable vs NVMe drives... 

So your 192 1TB SSD is going to be wasted.

What case is so cheap it's less expensive than your air cooler?  Why buy such a case, do you not care about build quality or aesthetics? (I don't care, but had to bring some roasting).

4080... unless your renderings specifically need it, why not get the 7900XTX and even up your CPU to a 7900X3D or 7950X3D (as @Agall would like)?

I think you could get more ACTUAL performance for less money.

Mild/Medium Roast.  No acid, full body.

Yeah, I have a first gen NVMe SSD with about 1000MB/s write and read speeds and I don't really notice a difference with my SATA SSDs so I guess PCIe 5.0 is overkill for the drive. 

Now I wonder If even PCIe 4.0 drives are worth it or if I should go for a cheaper 3.0 one?

For the case, yeah basically, it's not going to be my showoff sportscar that I'm going to use to seduce girls, I don't really care about the appearance. My current PC is in a Fractal Design case, I've had no problem with it so I thought I'd just stick to that brand. It's going to sit under my desk, not even I am going to look at it very often, so if it fits my components it's good enough.

Now for the 4080, I'm not 100% sure yet. The 7900XTX is indeed cheaper here in Europe and basically trades blows with the 4080. The main reason why I'm sticking with NVIDIA is basically because I want DLSS, and maybe also RTX. I know most people don't use RTX because it'll tank your framerates like nothing else but I I do play many games where framerate isn't that important and I'd happily trade some frames for some extra eye candy. As for DLSS it looks very good, and I'm basically thinking that if my venerable 1080 did support it I would basically barely need an upgrade right now. I know AMD has a comparable technology but it seems to be supported by less games and also a bit less good looking overall. That might change in the future but NVIDIA seems to me like a safer bet. But I'm a total noob so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Hey guys!

So the goals are :

Ryzen 7800X3D 519€

Noctua NH-D15 129€

850W Gigabyte PSU 120€

Case 120€

Total 2800€ 

Thanks!

• If the 7900X3D isn't that much more, go for that one.
  • Uh... What about B670? Do you really need X670? Seems like one of the cheaper x670 motherboards anyways. You can get a higher end B670 motherboard for that kind of money, I'm sure.
  • RAM and GPU are fine. Though a 4070Ti would definitely reduce cost and perform at 1440p very nicely.
  • If that was supposed to be 1TB on the SSD... Go for at least 2TB.
  • I mean I don't know which Gigabyte PSU, since you didn't share a list, but usually Corsair or EVGA are better.
  • Case... Case... Yes, I've heard of cases, but which one? 😛 

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos

38 minutes ago, Agall said:

X670 doesn't get proper PCIe 5.0 support beside the drive, that's where B650e and X670e come in.

People will say 'PCIe 5.0 16x slots won't matter' yet PCIe 5.0 graphics cards already exist. The RTX 4090 barely saturates a PCIe 4.0 16x lane to justify that, but I wouldn't doubt if we started setting PCIe 5.0 8x cards that do saturate a full PCIe 4.0 8x to justify having PCIe 5.0.

PCIe 5.0 SSDs are probably overkill right now, and even if they aren't, I wouldn't recommend spending 2x the price for it. Coming from someone who bought PCIe 4.0 M.2 drives early and paid over 2x as much for DirectStorage to not even come out yet.

NH-D15 7mm offset bracket should be in the list, if you're unfamiliar. The hotspot on AM5 CPUs isn't centerered and the NH-D15 has a $10 first party bracket that offsets the cooler 7mm lower to better cool the hotspot. The advertised -3C does work in my experience with it on my 7950x3D and NH-D15.

I personally recommend 6000MHz kits with a 36-36-36-76 timing. The higher but tighter timings for 6000 in my opinion provide a more consistent experience that doesn't sacrifice stability. 3D v-cache's main selling point isn't higher framerates in my opinion, but better framerate stability, being higher minimums that create an overall higher average framerate. This isn't conjecture but my experience when testing previous builds but also testing between running a pseudo 7800x3D or 7700x with my 7950x3D down configured, which is as 1:1 as you can humanly get.

Thank you for that bracket recommendation I'm taking notes here. 

So overall would you recommend going x670e or b650?

1 minute ago, GeorgeMKane said:
  • If the 7900X3D isn't that much more, go for that one.
  • Uh... What about B670? Do you really need X670? Seems like one of the cheaper x670 motherboards anyways. You can get a higher end B670 motherboard for that kind of money, I'm sure.
  • RAM and GPU are fine. Though a 4070Ti would definitely reduce cost and perform at 1440p very nicely.
  • If that was supposed to be 1TB on the SSD... Go for at least 2TB.
  • I mean I don't know which Gigabyte PSU, since you didn't share a list, but usually Corsair or EVGA are better.
  • Case... Case... Yes, I've heard of cases, but which one? 😛 

As stated above any case that fits my components with decent enough airflow that they don't cook is good enough, I don't care about the looks in the slightest.

Is the 7900X3D really better for gaming? It's about 140 euros more which is like 25% extra 

The 4080 is about 20% to 25% more expansive than the 4070Ti, but from what I can gather it's about 20% to 25% faster as well. Since I have the budget I think it's worth the upgrade, especially since it has more VRAM and I do like to run some games in 4k (RTS, sim games...)

I'm definitely not taking that SSD after consideration (also I already have 2*1TB SATA SSDs that I'm keeping and a 4TB HDD)

I think Gigabyte is reliable enough not to blow up in my face, it's cheap, certified gold and modular, so do I really need to be picky and take a Corsair one?

I'm kind of surprised that no one told me to go Intel for the CPU. Thoughts?

Thank you for that bracket recommendation I'm taking notes here. 

So overall would you recommend going x670e or b650?

X670e is overkill for most people, where B650e is a far better argument over B650 and X670. There's really good boards in that category too for selection.

Some of it is personal preference. The increased power consumption of Intel CPU makes it a hard argument, which can be as high as 100W more than a 7800x3D. My 7950x3D in a 8+0 configuration drew on average 45W from a long weekend gaming session between Diablo 4 and Warframe, compared to the probable +100W of a 13600k/13700k.

For some positives in the Intel camp, there's been far less issues with LGA 1700 and Intel 12th and 13th generation than AM5. AM5 overall has been kind of a sh*tshow of a platform, with various stability issues and even issues with CPUs getting fried from poor firmware design by the motherboard manufacturer.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

6 hours ago, Dr. FunFrock said:

As stated above any case that fits my components with decent enough airflow that they don't cook is good enough, I don't care about the looks in the slightest.

Is the 7900X3D really better for gaming? It's about 140 euros more which is like 25% extra 

The 4080 is about 20% to 25% more expansive than the 4070Ti, but from what I can gather it's about 20% to 25% faster as well. Since I have the budget I think it's worth the upgrade, especially since it has more VRAM and I do like to run some games in 4k (RTS, sim games...)

I'm definitely not taking that SSD after consideration (also I already have 2*1TB SATA SSDs that I'm keeping and a 4TB HDD)

I think Gigabyte is reliable enough not to blow up in my face, it's cheap, certified gold and modular, so do I really need to be picky and take a Corsair one?

5 hours ago, Dr. FunFrock said:

• I mean... AMD technically has a potentially better upgrade path, so that's why I would recommend sticking with AMD.
  • I believe I read somewhere that the Ryzen 9 cpu actually cools better than the Ryzen 7 cpu. Don't quote me on that, but I know a similar thing happened with the 5800X and the 5900X. They didn't put enough of something in the 5800X, so the 5900X cooled faster and was more worth it.
  • If anything, get a 970 EVO Plus or 980 Pro 2TB SSD, because I'm sure either one will be less money than that Corsair one. Also if you're planning on mainly gaming, that Corsair SSD won't be worth it at all. Same thing goes for the motherboard. Get a B670 motherboard instead. As for the SSD's you currently have, then yeah actually a 1TB 970 EVO PLUS would do you just fine, and also cost significantly less.
  • Well... we heard that before... but then Gigabyte PSU's blow up in people's faces (not literally, but they did explode from what I've read). I would highly recommend the Corsair one instead. With a 4080, make sure you get 850W or 1000W 80+ Gold, at minimum. 🙂 

Am I still to create the perfect system?! ~ Clu

Keep your expectations low, boy, and you will never be disappointed. ~ Kratos