Is it normal for an Asus RTX 4070 Ti Proart to have red LED on while the computer's running?

As the title said. I recently upgraded from an old college laptop to a new PC and I'm not sure if a graphics card is supposed to have the red LED on all the time? I'm sorry if this has been asked before but I'm really new to these RTX cards.

CPU: Intel Core i9-10900K 3.7 GHz 10-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING ATX LGA1200 Motherboard 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

Storage: 6 various HDDs and SSDs
Video Card: ASUS ROG Strix 3090
Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL 
Power Supply: Asus ROG Thor 1000w
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro
Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G9 OLED 49"
Keyboard: Logitech G915 
Mouse: Logitech G502 LIGHTSPEED
Headphones: Sennheiser RS 175

Mic: Blue Yeti

Sometimes with my old 3080 I also had the red VGA light on yet everything worked, go figure...

Solved it usually by reseating the card, bad contact somewhere 

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

Thanks for the links. I read up and nobody was really sure what the problem was. Very confusing indeed.

Maybe I'll try and reconnect the pin connectors, see if it fixes that.

Thanks again!

from what I was reading it seems if you are using the 2, 3, or 4 8-pin to 16-pin adapters the red light is likely to always be on. If using an actual 16-pin connector directly from the PSU the light should only be on when the system is powered down. It's only speculation as I've yet to own a card that has the 16-pin connector and with all the problems people are having I'm quite happy about that.

CPU Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUO III 360 ARGB White Edition All-in-one AIO Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory Boosted to 4400MHz

On 8/2/2023 at 10:39 AM, MrSimplicity said:

from what I was reading it seems if you are using the 2, 3, or 4 8-pin to 16-pin adapters the red light is likely to always be on. If using an actual 16-pin connector directly from the PSU the light should only be on when the system is powered down. It's only speculation as I've yet to own a card that has the 16-pin connector and with all the problems people are having I'm quite happy about that.

Now that you mention it, yes. I've recently noticed that the red LED is always on even on PC shutdown and it's connected with an adapter. I guess a way for ASUS say that the power is fine?!

12 minutes ago, messyhideout said:

Now that you mention it, yes. I've recently noticed that the red LED is always on even on PC shutdown and it's connected with an adapter. I guess a way for ASUS say that the power is fine?!

The 16-pin has a communication pin for the GPU to tell the PSU that it needs power and that it's going to take it so the PSU can provide said power without damaging itself or the card. That pin can't talk to the PSU with an adapter. So I imagine that light just means the GPU isn't communicating with the PSU so it will always be on with an adapter and only on when the system is shutdown with a genuine 16-pin from the PSU.

On 8/5/2023 at 5:39 PM, MrSimplicity said:

The 16-pin has a communication pin for the GPU to tell the PSU that it needs power and that it's going to take it so the PSU can provide said power without damaging itself or the card. That pin can't talk to the PSU with an adapter. So I imagine that light just means the GPU isn't communicating with the PSU so it will always be on with an adapter and only on when the system is shutdown with a genuine 16-pin from the PSU.

That's probably it yes. I'm just glad that the GPU is not exploding really :3