High End Hybrid Production/Gaming Build - 1st attempt at a build

Elysiayn
Go to solution Solved by TrigrH,
51 minutes ago, Elysiayn said:

That makes so much sense, thank you! Will definetly upgade. If I may, as I was looking into the Western Digital, I saw there was a version that had heat sink, is this a feature I should look into? Is it a good investment?

A heatsink is usually not required as the motherboard includes one.

Budget (including currency): No conrete budget - flexible - LOOKING TO BUY ASAP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Software Engineering student with focus in fullstack web development so these types of project dominate my computer use. My needs skew towards production needs. I wish to be able to run multiple programs at once (servers for testing my deployed projects in local and remote, multiple applications at once like ms office/development enviroments/zoom/discord/insufferable amount of open chrome windows and tabs/vscode/streaming/video editing/music production/video and music streaming/etc). Due to the nature of my use, I often have to have many of these applications running at once for 24+ hour intervals before I can shut things down.

I'm hoping that with the higher end components I chose, I will be able to play games decently as well. Thus a hybrid build if possible. My goal is to set up my rig so that it has a future path, although I hope that wouldn't be for a LONG time from now and only for a GPU upgrade, if any. 

Games: Mostly MMO's such as FF16, also play RPG games like Elden Ring, Witcher, Hogwarts Legacy, Sims 4, Divinity Original Sin 2, Civilization VI, Genshin Impact, Persona5 from the top of my head.

Existing parts lists: I'm building this rig from all new components. 

Peripherals: I will get windows 11 pro as my OS, I do not need mouse/keyboard/monitors 

Aesthetics: I would love a focus on a RGB white theme (I'm sorry! I know this is cringe, but I am a cringe human and I've finally accepted this truth🥲). THANK YOU KINDLY FOR ANY INSIGHT! 

Link to PCPP list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Elysiayn/saved/KhZdqs
image.thumb.png.439a1b173745ae41778888c76dcc7bdb.png

Everything looks pretty good here.

I would get a 2tb nvme drive as a minimum on a budget like this, you will regret going smaller. Make sure it is PCIE 4.0.

I would explore getting a faster ram kit if you can afford it, new bios updates are about to improve ram combability on ryzen. is 32gb enough for you? consider a 48gb kit.

25 minutes ago, Elysiayn said:

Budget (including currency): No conrete budget - flexible - LOOKING TO BUY ASAP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 
Software Engineering student with focus in fullstack web development so these types of project dominate my computer use. My needs skew towards production needs. I wish to be able to run multiple programs at once (servers for testing my deployed projects in local and remote, multiple applications at once like ms office/development enviroments/zoom/discord/insufferable amount of open chrome windows and tabs/vscode/streaming/video editing/music production/video and music streaming/etc). Due to the nature of my use, I often have to have many of these applications running at once for 24+ hour intervals before I can shut things down.

I'm hoping that with the higher end components I chose, I will be able to play games decently as well. Thus a hybrid build if possible. My goal is to set up my rig so that it has a future path, although I hope that wouldn't be for a LONG time from now and only for a GPU upgrade, if any. 

Games: Mostly MMO's such as FF16, also play RPG games like Elden Ring, Witcher, Hogwarts Legacy, Sims 4, Divinity Original Sin 2, Civilization VI, Genshin Impact, Persona5 from the top of my head.

Existing parts lists: I'm building this rig from all new components. 

Peripherals: I will get windows 11 pro as my OS, I do not need mouse/keyboard/monitors 

Aesthetics: I would love a focus on a RGB white theme (I'm sorry! I know this is cringe, but I am a cringe human and I've finally accepted this truth🥲). THANK YOU KINDLY FOR ANY INSIGHT! 

Link to PCPP list: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Elysiayn/saved/KhZdqs
image.thumb.png.439a1b173745ae41778888c76dcc7bdb.png

I would size up on the SSD and go for more RAM.

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

Everything looks pretty good here.

I would get a 2tb nvme drive as a minimum on a budget like this, you will regret going smaller. Make sure it is PCIE 4.0.

I would explore getting a faster ram kit if you can afford it, new bios updates are about to improve ram combability on ryzen. is 32gb enough for you? consider a 48gb kit.

AH! Thank you so much for point out my SSD, I completely overlooked it! I'll get the 2TB instead. Would a 3.0 be incompatible or would it just be outdated very quickly? My brother just let me know he has exact SSD in the 2TB version, but I think it may be M.2 PCIE 3.0.

And I was going to wing it with the ram because I myself wasn't sure how everything would run at first. Then buy more as needed, but mentioning it now it actually might be better for me to upgrade the size at once to 2 x 32, considering I only have 4 slots for ram that I can use total 😅, forgot about that little restriction lol

EDIT: Just realized that you probably meant a 2x48 pair!! I'm so sorry! I just realized that 48GB sticks exist! 😅

46 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

I would size up on the SSD and go for more RAM.

Thank you! If I could ask, does the speed difference matter much in reference to price when comparing 6000 against  6400? I'm still wrapping my head around what makes something a better value 😅

Currently looking at:
TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL34 Memory vs. it's 6000 version.

Just now, Elysiayn said:

Thank you! If I could ask, does the speed difference matter much in reference to price when comparing 6000 against  6400? I'm still wrapping my head around what makes something a better value 😅

Currently looking at:
TEAMGROUP T-Create Expert 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6400 CL34 Memory vs. it's 6000 version.

AM5 hits a ceiling at DDR5 6000. 

4 minutes ago, Why_Me said:

AM5 hits a ceiling at DDR5 6000. 

Would this mean that I should not use a 48GB stick since it's speed is 6800? Would this build be better with 4 x 32GB max?

More RAM, faster SSD, slightly higher quality PSU.

I wouldn't get Win 11 Pro for $144, that's way too much for an OS, find keys somewhere else, should be way less than that one you picked.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyXGBj
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($217.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP v2 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($163.93 @ Amazon)
Total: $2852.02

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

57 minutes ago, Elysiayn said:

Would this mean that I should not use a 48GB stick since it's speed is 6800? Would this build be better with 4 x 32GB max?

I recommend the following if you're going to extend the time between upgrading the system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/crKKHx/western-digital-black-sn850x-2-tb-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t2x0e

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KWbRsY/gskill-trident-z5-rgb-48-gb-2-x-24-gb-ddr5-8000-cl40-memory-f5-8000j4048f24gx2-tz5rs

no reason to get a pcie 3.0 ssd, they are older and not as fast.

As for high speed ram, its definitely less value but more "future proof". It's recommended to only use 2 of your 4 slots when pushing for higher speeds.

18 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

More RAM, faster SSD, slightly higher quality PSU.

I wouldn't get Win 11 Pro for $144, that's way too much for an OS, find keys somewhere else, should be way less than that one you picked.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XyXGBj
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory  ($217.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial P5 Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  ($97.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Phanteks AMP v2 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($163.93 @ Amazon)
Total: $2852.02

Thank you so much, I am going to incorperate these! Besides Linus, I've been watching PC Builder on YouTube, and he gave a link to a summer sale forv Windows 11 Pro for 30.71 USD luckily.

17 hours ago, TrigrH said:

I recommend the following if you're going to extend the time between upgrading the system:

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/crKKHx/western-digital-black-sn850x-2-tb-m2-2280-pcie-40-x4-nvme-solid-state-drive-wds200t2x0e

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KWbRsY/gskill-trident-z5-rgb-48-gb-2-x-24-gb-ddr5-8000-cl40-memory-f5-8000j4048f24gx2-tz5rs

no reason to get a pcie 3.0 ssd, they are older and not as fast.

As for high speed ram, its definitely less value but more "future proof". It's recommended to only use 2 of your 4 slots when pushing for higher speeds.

That makes so much sense, thank you! Will definetly upgade. If I may, as I was looking into the Western Digital, I saw there was a version that had heat sink, is this a feature I should look into? Is it a good investment?

51 minutes ago, Elysiayn said:

21 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Okay, thank you very much for taking the time to help me understand my components better! I feel pretty good about the changes made. 😊