I wonder how much LTT costs to run?

Diddlydennis
Go to solution Solved by Silverflame,

It's hard to search the Wan Shows, but I am sure there was one where Linus mentioned that the payroll is now into 6 (or maybe 7) figures annually. They're employing over 100 people now, and while it's unlikely that they all earn the same, at that (business-wise, relatively small) scale it'll cost you millions just to pay people.

(The only vaguely relevant reference point I have is academia, which pays nothing, and grants are usually in the millions to pay for 4-5 people for 4 years.)

In the recent fibre upgrade video, I believe they mentioned their internet is 10k-50k per month, or something like that. For a direct ISP line and corporate internet, but still...

The editing computers hopefully get turned off overnight, as do ligths and similar. But the servers running Floatplane, the forum, hosting their editing footage, etc. are all in-house afaik, and they can't be cheap to run 24/7. There are some resources about business electricity rates in British Columbia (which is where I believe LMG is located) and how to calculate your server consumption, which would let us get a rough estimate. But I'm not awake enough to do the maths right now 馃槄

Namely regarding Utility Bills, it's also fascinated me how much it costs to run companies like these and I can't imagine it being cheap.

It's hard to search the Wan Shows, but I am sure there was one where Linus mentioned that the payroll is now into 6 (or maybe 7) figures annually. They're employing over 100 people now, and while it's unlikely that they all earn the same, at that (business-wise, relatively small) scale it'll cost you millions just to pay people.

(The only vaguely relevant reference point I have is academia, which pays nothing, and grants are usually in the millions to pay for 4-5 people for 4 years.)

In the recent fibre upgrade video, I believe they mentioned their internet is 10k-50k per month, or something like that. For a direct ISP line and corporate internet, but still...

The editing computers hopefully get turned off overnight, as do ligths and similar. But the servers running Floatplane, the forum, hosting their editing footage, etc. are all in-house afaik, and they can't be cheap to run 24/7. There are some resources about business electricity rates in British Columbia (which is where I believe LMG is located) and how to calculate your server consumption, which would let us get a rough estimate. But I'm not awake enough to do the maths right now 馃槄