Are "modified" 5G broadband routers worth it?

milesuy
Go to solution Solved by Alex Atkin UK,
5 hours ago, milesuy said:

When I Google or search 5G broadband routers in shopping websites (i.e. Shopee & Lazada), I frequently see "modified" routers, what do they mean and what is the difference between the original / not modified routers? They are also way cheaper (at around PHP2,000 or USD45) compared to the original routers, which costs at least PHP12,000 or USD250. (Screenshots attached below)

Are they worth it or snake oil?

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for 5GHz WiFi router, I'm looking for 5G broadband (keywords: mobile data, SIM Card).

It looks like it can mean just about anything.

One of those listings it appear they modified it for external antenna, which is not a great idea as the radio configuration and antenna gain has to match or you risk poor performance or frying the radio.  The whole firmware will be designed around the antennas they used so just slapping external ones on is asking for trouble.

It may also mean they put retail firmware on branded/locked devices or just removed the network lock.

Honestly I wouldn't trust them.

I'm using a Three branded CPE Pro 2 and it works fine as-is.

When I Google or search 5G broadband routers in shopping websites (i.e. Shopee & Lazada), I frequently see "modified" routers, what do they mean and what is the difference between the original / not modified routers? They are also way cheaper (at around PHP2,000 or USD45) compared to the original routers, which costs at least PHP12,000 or USD250. (Screenshots attached below)

Just to be clear, I'm not looking for 5GHz WiFi router, I'm looking for 5G broadband (keywords: mobile data, SIM Card).

Screenshot_20230720_080353_Chrome.png.a76f26a885c34021d5d8d929f308a3a5.pngScreenshot_20230720_080423_Chrome.png.5b08e66ff02c123ef67f3bb313527305.pngScreenshot_20230720_080601_Chrome.png.2db7a9cc29fa399c1ec258ede02a1eb5.png

As an American with rudimentry 5G knowledge here (no clue about elsewhere) to make an informed choice on mobile carrier and be comfortable with 5G modem/router as my primary or secondary ISP (currently primary because my only other option is slower DSL):

I think this is snake oil unless a 5G modem/router could be modified to have a stronger signal than what the country's regulations allow and yet the ISP will still handle.

However, that seems like a longshot because 5G tech seems largely fragmented by carrier and thus so are 5G modems, unlike 4G LTE which was more standardized. But maybe such mods are more of a thing in other countries? Someone else from Asia or better yet Phillipines should chime in here.

5 hours ago, milesuy said:

It looks like it can mean just about anything.

One of those listings it appear they modified it for external antenna, which is not a great idea as the radio configuration and antenna gain has to match or you risk poor performance or frying the radio.  The whole firmware will be designed around the antennas they used so just slapping external ones on is asking for trouble.

It may also mean they put retail firmware on branded/locked devices or just removed the network lock.

Honestly I wouldn't trust them.

I'm using a Three branded CPE Pro 2 and it works fine as-is.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7