RTX 4090 keeps running on x16 Gen 1

hbdw
Go to solution Solved by hbdw,

Hey,

Just giving an update on the issue. I think there is some compatibility issues with my AM4 motherboard paired with 4090. I have changed the motherboard to an AM5 (also resulted in a change of CPU) and everything works fine.

What lead me to believe its a compatibility issues is that my old AM4 motherboard still works with other GPU such as 3070 TI. So, hardware-wise it shouldn't be damaged due to the fact that its still functional under a different hardware. There is no hardware deformation (like CPU bended pins, etc).

So, yeah for anyone that is looking to find a way to solve the problem. You could add this one possibility into the list. Hope it helps!

I need help with my PC.

Recently, I've upgraded my RTX 3070 TI to RTX 4090.

But, for some reason it keeps on running in Gen 1 according to GPU-Z and 2.5 GT/s according to HWinfo.

I've read that this is normal because when its on idle it switch to Gen 1 to save power so it won't draw too much power.

The thing is when its on load GPU-Z doesn't notice any difference and it reports that its still running at Gen 1.

So, I tried benchmarking. I've got like 10-15 ish fps in Speed Way 3D Mark. Got like 5-10 fps within Port Royal 3D Mark.

Though its 60 fps within Heaven Benchmark on Ultra graphics.

From what I know is that Heaven Benchmark isn't that heavy and it should be getting 200 fps ish and I've tested this out I went to the nearest computer store and tested out my 4090 with their test bench and they got 200 fps ish for Heaven Benchmark & when the GPU-Z is shown it jumps up to pcie gen 3 and when it stops the benchmark it goes back down to 1 again.

Motherboard is updated to the latest firmware. My system also has ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen4 Card. I thought that this might be what's causing the issue but after I took it out. It didn't change a thing.

I tried using DDU to remove all display drivers, resetting the windows, and in the end I've re-install windows still didn't work. So, the drive that has my windows has other OS too. I have Ubuntu installed on another partition. The way I've re-install windows is by formatting the previous window's partition and installing a new one in that.

In the Ubuntu, I've run

sudo lspci -vv

and search for VGA Controller. It says that the LnkCap's speed is 16 GT/s which is PCIe Gen 4. I'm not sure if this is what it is currently running in or it's just telling me the max spec for that PCIe.

I am not sure why it's doing this. Any opinion is valued.

My System:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5900X

MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E Gaming

GPU - GIGABYTE RTX 4090

PSU - GIGABYTE P1000GM

Cooler - DeepCool LT520

RAM - 4x8 GSkill Trident Z

Storage

• 500 GB 850 Evo
  • 500 GB 850 Evo
  • 2 TB 990 Pro NVMe (OS Drive)
  • 1 TB 980 Pro NVMe
  • 1 TB Firecuda 530 NVMe (Inside the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen4 Card) 

Doublecheck the settings in your BIOS.  It should default to the highest GEN automatically, but there is a setting in there to change it down to the lower speeds if you needed to.

14 minutes ago, hbdw said:

I need help with my PC.

Recently, I've upgraded my RTX 3070 TI to RTX 4090.

But, for some reason it keeps on running in Gen 1 according to GPU-Z and 2.5 GT/s according to HWinfo.

I've read that this is normal because when its on idle it switch to Gen 1 to save power so it won't draw too much power.

The thing is when its on load GPU-Z doesn't notice any difference and it reports that its still running at Gen 1.

So, I tried benchmarking. I've got like 10-15 ish fps in Speed Way 3D Mark. Got like 5-10 fps within Port Royal 3D Mark.

Though its 60 fps within Heaven Benchmark on Ultra graphics.

From what I know is that Heaven Benchmark isn't that heavy and it should be getting 200 fps ish and I've tested this out I went to the nearest computer store and tested out my 4090 with their test bench and they got 200 fps ish for Heaven Benchmark & when the GPU-Z is shown it jumps up to pcie gen 3 and when it stops the benchmark it goes back down to 1 again.

Motherboard is updated to the latest firmware. My system also has ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen4 Card. I thought that this might be what's causing the issue but after I took it out. It didn't change a thing.

I tried using DDU to remove all display drivers, resetting the windows, and in the end I've re-install windows still didn't work. So, the drive that has my windows has other OS too. I have Ubuntu installed on another partition. The way I've re-install windows is by formatting the previous window's partition and installing a new one in that.

In the Ubuntu, I've run

sudo lspci -vv

and search for VGA Controller. It says that the LnkCap's speed is 16 GT/s which is PCIe Gen 4. I'm not sure if this is what it is currently running in or it's just telling me the max spec for that PCIe.

I am not sure why it's doing this. Any opinion is valued.

My System:

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5900X

MOBO - ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E Gaming

GPU - GIGABYTE RTX 4090

PSU - GIGABYTE P1000GM

Cooler - DeepCool LT520

RAM - 4x8 GSkill Trident Z

Storage

• 500 GB 850 Evo
  • 500 GB 850 Evo
  • 2 TB 990 Pro NVMe (OS Drive)
  • 1 TB 980 Pro NVMe
  • 1 TB Firecuda 530 NVMe (Inside the ASUS Hyper M.2 x16 Gen4 Card) 

I have to force PCIe 4.0 on my RTX 4090 because it seems to try to negotiate PCIe 5.0 or lesser versions. Otherwise I don't get a display output until several seconds after the login screen or if I'm in the UEFI (no output during splash screen or BOOT). Just seems like a bug with the RTX 4090's PCIe version negotiation that might be your problem as well.

I'd recommend forcing 4.0 on that top PCIE_1 slot in the UEFI and see if it resolves it.

Ryzen 7950x3D PBO +200MHz / -15mV curve CPPC in 'prefer cache'

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+1000

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional since 2017

@Agall @TheGlenlivet

I did that. It's still doesn't work.

bios.thumb.jpeg.19384b252dd3314512c1aeb6676c9a1b.jpeg

Then tried Heaven Benchmark. The screenshot below is when I do heaven benchmark in a windowed mode so I could screenshot it. The fullscreen version is around 60-70 fps.

heavenbenchmark.thumb.png.12c7058ce0f03e3cb146212159d8f518.png

gpu-z.png.dcfac97ddd6297e4fd6209d8b9bce2a5.png

This is GPU-Z when running heaven benchmark. Which means it shouldn't be idle. But still stuck at x16 1.1.

If the PSU is faulty could it be a problem for it going to gen 1?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2023 at 6:56 PM, hbdw said:

@Agall @TheGlenlivet

I did that. It's still doesn't work.

bios.thumb.jpeg.19384b252dd3314512c1aeb6676c9a1b.jpeg

Then tried Heaven Benchmark. The screenshot below is when I do heaven benchmark in a windowed mode so I could screenshot it. The fullscreen version is around 60-70 fps.

heavenbenchmark.thumb.png.12c7058ce0f03e3cb146212159d8f518.png

gpu-z.png.dcfac97ddd6297e4fd6209d8b9bce2a5.png

This is GPU-Z when running heaven benchmark. Which means it shouldn't be idle. But still stuck at x16 1.1.

If the PSU is faulty could it be a problem for it going to gen 1?

I doubt it, unfortunately that might be a hardware issue if it can't. If you have another system to throw it in to see if you can at least get 16x 3.0, then I'd recommend that, otherwise I'd contact Gigabyte. If you get the same issue in another system where its running at 1.1, then its quite obviously an issue with the card. If it does get 16x 3.0 in another system, then your motherboard or OS are doing something weird.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:56 PM, Agall said:

I doubt it, unfortunately that might be a hardware issue if it can't. If you have another system to throw it in to see if you can at least get 16x 3.0, then I'd recommend that, otherwise I'd contact Gigabyte. If you get the same issue in another system where its running at 1.1, then its quite obviously an issue with the card. If it does get 16x 3.0 in another system, then your motherboard or OS are doing something weird.

I don't have another system that I can throw it into. But, I brought it back to the store I bought the 4090. They tested out my 4090 with their test bench and it goes up to pcie gen 3. So, I'm guessing the Motherboard is faulty. I've done a complete reset of my OS already and it still stuck in pcie gen 1. But I'm kinda confused if the motherboard is faulty, why is it working normally with my 3070 TI?

On 8/6/2023 at 5:13 AM, hbdw said:

I don't have another system that I can throw it into. But, I brought it back to the store I bought the 4090. They tested out my 4090 with their test bench and it goes up to pcie gen 3. So, I'm guessing the Motherboard is faulty. I've done a complete reset of my OS already and it still stuck in pcie gen 1. But I'm kinda confused if the motherboard is faulty, why is it working normally with my 3070 TI?

image.png.938a0a8ed2928b4c55442d669ae11ce3.png

Have you tried forcing the bifurcation configuration on that slot to 16x and/or 8x?

I'm troubleshooting a similar issue with my friend's RTX 4090 and 7800x3D build. I personally have issues with the RTX 4090 properly negotiating on BOOT as well, but that's resolved by forcing PCIe 4.0 on the slot. His motherboard is likely the issue, but its hit or miss on what gets him to finally boot in proper 16x PCIe 4.0, although its not persistent. 

He gets issues with his M.2 drives not detecting as well, which gives more ammunition towards pointing at the the motherboard and/or I/O die on his 7800x3D. He's running a comparable motherboard though with the B650e Asus Strix, and he's tested a few different BIOS versions. He might have issues with the Thermalright contact frame he's using providing improper pressure in the socket, which I've recommended him to not use, but that's unlikely an issue with AM4's PGA (unless you've resocketed the CPU and potentially lost a pin or broke one upon installation).

If your 3070ti runs at full 4.0 16x, and the RTX 4090 runs at at 16x but only 1.1, then its possible that its a vBIOS issue with the RTX 4090 or a hardware failure on the RTX 4090.

21 hours ago, Agall said:

image.png.938a0a8ed2928b4c55442d669ae11ce3.png

Have you tried forcing the bifurcation configuration on that slot to 16x and/or 8x?

I'm troubleshooting a similar issue with my friend's RTX 4090 and 7800x3D build. I personally have issues with the RTX 4090 properly negotiating on BOOT as well, but that's resolved by forcing PCIe 4.0 on the slot. His motherboard is likely the issue, but its hit or miss on what gets him to finally boot in proper 16x PCIe 4.0, although its not persistent. 

He gets issues with his M.2 drives not detecting as well, which gives more ammunition towards pointing at the the motherboard and/or I/O die on his 7800x3D. He's running a comparable motherboard though with the B650e Asus Strix, and he's tested a few different BIOS versions. He might have issues with the Thermalright contact frame he's using providing improper pressure in the socket, which I've recommended him to not use, but that's unlikely an issue with AM4's PGA (unless you've resocketed the CPU and potentially lost a pin or broke one upon installation).

If your 3070ti runs at full 4.0 16x, and the RTX 4090 runs at at 16x but only 1.1, then its possible that its a vBIOS issue with the RTX 4090 or a hardware failure on the RTX 4090.

The bifurcation configuration only has "Auto Mode" or "PCIe Mode". In the description "Auto Mode" is equal to setting it into x16. I think I'm experiencing the same thing as your friend but with PCIe gen 3. I tried forcing it into PCIe Gen 3, and most of the time its getting PCIe Gen 1 but after a couple of restarts, sometimes it gets to PCIe gen 3.

As I was upgrading my GPU, I've moved the entire system into a new case as well. And in the process I've also changed the cooler, and in that I had a time where I took out the processor but I didn't see any bended or missing pins.

I've tried flashing a new vBIOS into the 4090, and still isn't doing anything. 

• 2 months later...

Hey,

Just giving an update on the issue. I think there is some compatibility issues with my AM4 motherboard paired with 4090. I have changed the motherboard to an AM5 (also resulted in a change of CPU) and everything works fine.

What lead me to believe its a compatibility issues is that my old AM4 motherboard still works with other GPU such as 3070 TI. So, hardware-wise it shouldn't be damaged due to the fact that its still functional under a different hardware. There is no hardware deformation (like CPU bended pins, etc).

So, yeah for anyone that is looking to find a way to solve the problem. You could add this one possibility into the list. Hope it helps!